Yorkshire Divers - Go diving on the liveaboard to the South Atolls of the Maldives
  • Sponsors

• Go diving on the liveaboard to the South Atolls of the Maldives

The Maldives has an amazing range of underwater wildlife to discover, including some of the top attractions such as whale sharks and other shark species. However, the truly remarkable sights to see are the giant mantas, some of which can be as much as 6m/20ft across!

The really must-see sites while diving in the Maldives are the cleaning stations, where you can witness the astounding partnership between deadly predators and fish which are easily small enough to be considered pray. Mantas and sharks visit and stay for as long as 20 minutes to have parasites picked out of their gills, skin and even their mouths in a miracle of animal cooperation!
    Let’s go deeper to the South. Everything that is situated on south from (1) Male is considered as South Atolls. We would like to focus on true pearls – (2) Huvadhoo (Gaafu Alifu, Gaafu Dhaalu), (3) Foahmulah (Gnaviyani), (4) Addu Atholhu (Seenu) Atolls. So, what makes deep South itineraries so special? Appears it’s quite simple and reasonable, diving is just much better far from the madding crowd! Deeper on South we go, less people and civilization it gets. More unspoiled healthy corals, the nature and marine inhabitants get wilder.
    Huvadhoo – the largest and the less inhabited atoll is known for the most beautiful channels, full of life corals, hammerheads and even silky sharks during the morning dives. You will be also surprised to welcome huge whale sharks under your liveaboard at night.

Foahmulah is a tiny atoll in the heart of the ocean. There are no many dive sites, however the chance to meet “a big thing” is extremely high. Divers often report thresher sharks, mola mola, and tiger sharks!
    Addu Atoll is the southern spot of the Maldives. The atoll itself is sufficiently developed, but not crowded by divers. Besides the channels, thilas and coral walls, this place is the most famous for diving with mantas.

You will ask when to dive on south? The best time is February-April. These months there is basically no wind and, as south atolls are so lost in an open ocean, the channels are wider, so calm weather is the crucial criteria when it comes to diving the Deep South. Strong wind and currents will make it super uncomfortable to dive in the south and probably dangerous because of the risk of high waves and storm. So we highly recommend to chose trips to south routes with high attention to suggested months.
    You will have take local flights if the port of departure is different from Male. Another option is extended trip, some liveaboards will take you from Male to south, or from South port back to Male for the 10 or even 14 nights diving trip.
    When it comes to choosing the liveaboard, here is the list of reliable operators running the trips to the Deep South:
    · Scubaspa Yang
    · Blue Force I
    · Emperor Leo
    · Emperor Virgo
    · Manta Cruise
    · Duke of York
    · Carpe Novo
    Turns out there are not so many liveaboards operating in the deep south and the season is highly restricted, the competition to get your spot is pretty high. That is the case when you should take care about organizing your vacation in advance, do not count on last minute deal. By the end you will absolutely enjoy it!
    Recommended equipment for every diver includes a torch, reef hook, compass, and surface marker buoy. DIN valves are used on Maldives liveaboards, so if you use yoke valves, please remember to bring your own adapter with you. Some equipment is available for rent and should be pre-booked before your trip. Some equipment (particularly hooks and torches) may be not available for rent and can only be bought unless booked in advance. All items and services sold on liveaboards are subject to a 12% sales tax.
  • Sponsors

• Recent Posts

LisaG

Kent Shore Diving this Summer 2017 advice request

Hi all,

I'm down to organise a shore dive for my club on the weekend of the 8th/9th July. Those dates can be flexible. Something had to go

LisaG 23-06-17, 06:24 PM Go to last post
    nomermaidscuba

Aqualung/Spiro XR2 spares

I have a perfectly good XR2 octopus except it requires a demand diaphragm; does anyone have one or know where I might source it?

nomermaidscuba 23-06-17, 12:45 PM Go to last post
    Philw

Travel regs

I am looking at getting a set of lightweight travel regs, will probably be use fora couple of trips a year.

I was looking at 1st stage,

Philw 22-06-17, 02:17 PM Go to last post
    Mike G

Majorca advise

"Advice" even... [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike G 21-06-17, 10:12 PM Go to last post
    Mike G

Majorca advise

Hi all, I'm off to Majorca next month and planned to do a day's diving while I'm there.
    Does anybody know whether you need to have a health form

Mike G 21-06-17, 10:11 PM Go to last post
    Mike G

Hello!

Just moved back into Yorkshire after a long stint in the Midlands and discovered this group so thought I'd say hello.

Ive done a few dives

Mike G 21-06-17, 10:00 PM Go to last post
  • Sponsor

• YD Calendar