Yorkshire Divers - Go diving on the liveaboard in the Maldives
  • Sponsors

• Go diving on the liveaboard in the Maldives

The Maldives is a beautiful destination that has a wide range of underwater wildlife to impress with. Marine life includes some of the top attractions such as whale sharks and other shark species. But we all know the truly remarkable species to see are the giant mantas, some of which can be as much as 6m/20ft across!
    The most wanted must-see sites to go diving in the Maldives are the cleaning stations. Manta rays and sharks come and stay for about 20 minutes to have parasites picked out of their gills, skin and even their mouths in a miracle of animal cooperation!
    Most of the best dive sites are as usual away from populated islands. Maldives liveaboard diving is the right choice that puts you right over the best sites, not just those closest to the resort.
    Maldivian safari yachts provide an impressive range of facilities and, as the water around the atolls is very calm, they are also very comfortable, even if you have difficulties with motion sickness.
    The high season to scuba dive in the Maldives is from January to March. The waters are calm, that provides crystal-clear waters with extremely good visibility. The months before and after this period are still generally good, but your chances of seeing a whale shark are lower. The rough seas created by the wet season stirs up nutrients from the sea floor and creates a lot of plankton. While this dramatically reduces visibility, it also attracts mantas and whale sharks. This means that this period can be especially good for specific Maldives liveaboard diving routes. However, May to November is still widely considered to be the low season for diving in the Maldives.
    Most of the Maldives safari boats offer 7-night trips, with 10 to 14-night trips being much rarer due to there being less demand for them as they exceed most peoplesí Maldives liveaboard budget. Depending on the duration of the cruise, boats usually visit 1-3 atolls or as many as 5-6 atolls in one trip. It is important to note, however, that a greater number of atolls visited does not automatically make it a better choice. It is possible to get all of the top marine life encounters and some great macro diving and awesome night diving all from just a single atoll. It is much more important be in the right place at the right time.
    Most of the best sites for Maldives liveaboard diving are pretty deep and some feature strong currents, so itís recommended to complete the Advanced Open Water Course before arriving, and to have equivalent diving experience.
    Recommended equipment for every diver includes a torch, reef hook, compass, and surface marker buoy. DIN valves are used on Maldives liveaboards, so if you use yoke valves, please remember to bring your own adapter with you. Some equipment is available for rent and should be pre-booked before your trip. Some equipment (particularly hooks and torches) may be not available for rent and can only be bought unless booked in advance. All items and services sold on liveaboards are subject to a 12% sales tax.
    Top 5 Recommended Liveaboards in the Maldives:
    Adora

Carpe Diem

Blue Force I

Sachika

Scubaspa Ying
  • Sponsors

• Recent Posts

blue o two

blue o two - News & Special Offers

Dive the diverse Red Sea from £949!

You can also enjoy some phenomenal reductions on our Maldives and Worldwide liveaboard diving holidays,

blue o two Yesterday, 11:26 AM Go to last post
    nomermaidscuba

Aqualung/Spiro XR2 spares

Thank you, but this is a discontinued item so this diaphragm is no longer available from Aqualung and the local dealers don't have it. Hence my post.

nomermaidscuba 26-06-17, 09:26 AM Go to last post
    Nick Bailey

Speak to your local Aqualung/Apeks dealer.

Nick Bailey 26-06-17, 08:35 AM Go to last post
    LisaG

Kent Shore Diving this Summer 2017 advice request

Hi all,

I'm down to organise a shore dive for my club on the weekend of the 8th/9th July. Those dates can be flexible. Something had to go

LisaG 23-06-17, 06:24 PM Go to last post
    nomermaidscuba

I have a perfectly good XR2 octopus except it requires a demand diaphragm; does anyone have one or know where I might source it?

nomermaidscuba 23-06-17, 12:45 PM Go to last post
    Philw

Travel regs

I am looking at getting a set of lightweight travel regs, will probably be use fora couple of trips a year.

I was looking at 1st stage,

Philw 22-06-17, 02:17 PM Go to last post
  • Sponsor

• YD Calendar