View Full Version : Advice PLEASE

EOD_GAZ
12-12-09, 12:54 PM
Hello i'm just geting into cave diving and need some advice about harness and wing setups as i want to use side mounted cilinders.
I have looked at a few products eg.
Dive Rite Nomad
Explorer 1 Harness by Martin far (not shore how or what wing i could use with it)?
Razor Harness by Steve Bogaerts (with bat wing aka MSR Dromedary hydration pack) like idea!
Has anyone used any of thease products or know of any more setups suteable for uk cave/mine diving?
i'm curentley using a custom divers twin blader wing and tec harness witch i've moded to use sidemounts. (grate for deep dives using twinsets and stages) but want somthing a bit smaller thats built for the job.
Thanks Very Mutch Gaz.

Blu DL
12-12-09, 01:02 PM
This is worth a look at - Go Side Mount - Steve Bogaerts (http://www.gosidemount.com/videos.asp)

bubbleless
12-12-09, 01:02 PM
If you want to get into cave diving then I would first suggest a course or two.

You will learn a lot, probably the answer to your original question

Cave diving is not something you just wing, or get the best advice off the internet even if YD is good, its not that good.

The kit you list is good for different cave environments

Two Hats
12-12-09, 01:26 PM
Get on a Martyn Farr course if you are interested in UK (Sump) diving.

Or join the CDG, who will do their best to discourage you, as even they think it is a silly idea:D

Don't try and learn this of t'interweb

As you have posted this in the DIR part of the site, lets assume you want to do a DIR cave diving course. This would (usually) entail a little trip to France/Florida/Mexico and training with GUE. In which case, a 'standard' DIR kit config would be whats required. AFAIK DIR doesn't 'generally' do side mount.

I'm sure someone who actually does this will be along soon to comment (Gledders?)

EOD_GAZ
12-12-09, 01:36 PM
Thanks for reply

I'm hopeing to do a full cave cource some time next year but will find it hard to fit it in cuz i'm about to start my clearance diver cource with the navy.

I just want to get a nice setup for the future and for the little bit of cave/mine diving i do already.
Thanks Gaz

Letz
12-12-09, 01:54 PM
If you're already diving UK caves/mines I imagine you are wearing a dry suit.
If you're going side mounted I'm confident you will enjoy just using your drysuit for buoyancy :)

EOD_GAZ
12-12-09, 04:33 PM
If you're already diving UK caves/mines I imagine you are wearing a dry suit.
If you're going side mounted I'm confident you will enjoy just using your drysuit for buoyancy :)
Thanks Yea i had thourght of that but would like a back up if suit fails or somthing i could use with semi dry for warmer waters. might try Steve Bogaerts Razor harness (with bat wing aka MSR Dromedary hydration pack) with dry suit.
Thanks Gaz
Any other ideas please share.

Two Hats
12-12-09, 05:20 PM
Gaz, looking at your profile, it seems you are already into caving, UK style. EG diving to get through a sump, then further dry caving, sump, dry etc.

I think your first port of call should be the CDG. Not very DIR (I'm not sure why this is in the DIR forum, actually) but they have been caving and cave diving UK conditions for years. They will be much better placed to answer.

Check out Duncan Price's pages, specifically the side mount ones http://www.sump4.com/sidemount/

EOD_GAZ
12-12-09, 05:36 PM
Gaz, looking at your profile, it seems you are already into caving, UK style. EG diving to get through a sump, then further dry caving, sump, dry etc.

I think your first port of call should be the CDG. Not very DIR (I'm not sure why this is in the DIR forum, actually) but they have been caving and cave diving UK conditions for years. They will be much better placed to answer.

Check out Duncan Price's pages, specifically the side mount ones sump4.com/sidemount (http://www.sump4.com/sidemount/)
Thanks.
posted on here and the cave forum just thourght more the merryer!

KenLorp
12-12-09, 05:47 PM
As you have posted this in the DIR part of the site, lets assume you want to do a DIR cave diving course. This would (usually) entail a little trip to France/Florida/Mexico and training with GUE. In which case, a 'standard' DIR kit config would be whats required. AFAIK DIR doesn't 'generally' do side mount.

I'm sure someone who actually does this will be along soon to comment (Gledders?)

There's no conflict between DIR and side-mount. One of my buddies does a lot of sidemount diving that is DIR compliant.

Can't really add any more than that as I don't do sidemount, but really to say that there is no conflict.

K.

Two Hats
12-12-09, 06:27 PM
There's no conflict between DIR and side-mount. One of my buddies does a lot of sidemount diving that is DIR compliant.

Can't really add any more than that as I don't do sidemount, but really to say that there is no conflict.

K.

Fair one. I did say generally. I seem to remember from when I was on DIRX that there wasn't really a DIR Sidemount thing going on too much.

Then again, I haven't been on there in a while.

The Penguin
15-12-09, 12:03 PM
Thanks Yea i had thourght of that but would like a back up if suit fails or somthing i could use with semi dry for warmer waters. might try Steve Bogaerts Razor harness (with bat wing aka MSR Dromedary hydration pack) with dry suit.
Thanks Gaz
Any other ideas please share.

Having had a complete suit flood i have to say buoyancy was less of a concern than simply getting out of the cave! It won't be pretty but who is going to see?

EOD_GAZ
16-12-09, 06:36 PM
Thanks for advice think for now i'm going to go with my tech custom divers harness with ss bk plate with dry suit for main buoyancy and Bat wing aka (MSR dromadry pack)https://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif for a bit of redundancy.

But if anyone has any other ideas on side mount set up's PLEASE SHARE !!!

THANKS GAZ

The Penguin
17-12-09, 09:41 AM
A system based on a back-plate has two drawbacks:

It won't be so portable when moving through the cave - harder to pack and harder to wear - as it isn't flexible.

Loss of back flexibility when diving - which isn't a problem until you get to the tight bits.

Harnesses aren't difficult to make. I made mine without sewing. When i feel the need i can integrate a Dive Rite Rec Wing with for extra buoyancy. Otherwise i use the drysuit or if with a wetsuit on a few occasions i just crawled around on the bottom... :embarasse

EOD_GAZ
17-12-09, 10:28 AM
Thanks Penguin
Not doing anything to mutch of a squese at the mo as am new to this game.
Will get myself a farr harness or razor when bank ballance will allowhttps://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Just messing around in flooded mines at the mo nothing to crazy, hopfully get myself on a full cave cource next year somtime then can start squezing myself through stupid sized holes.

Thanks again GAZ

Mal Bridgeman
17-12-09, 11:18 AM
Not a lot of point having two threads on this so please continue any discussion on this thread (https://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/cave-cavern-diving/100982-advice-please.html).

Thanks
Mal