YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Underwater JJ photos

7K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Mark Chase 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are some photos of my JJ rig which Kieran Hatton and myself have been working on recently

We've both agreed to keep it as close to OC as possible as we both still dive an OC rig, so pretty much everything has been built with this in mind hence the clean and tidy appearance

At the moment the rig has 1 x 7 litre of bottom bailout gas feeding the BOV and traditional long hose which can be used by either the CCR diver or buddy, whichever is more useful. Personally i will go for the long hose as it breathes better than the bOV and at depth under stress I reckon this is a better option

We both agree that the BOV hose can be routed better with the Mk 25 first stages and this will be improved next time (fridays dive)

Then the other 7 litre is 02 and we will be making a quick connect system allowing you to plumb the manual 02 feed hose into the BOV when you reach 6m so you can breathe all that lovely 02 on OC

So for 30-40m diving you are self sufficient with just the back gas, assuming you plan your dives properly and fill the 7's before each dive, and then as you go deeper you just add more stages to suit. As most of our diving is 80m and shallower on the South Coast we estimate a maximum addition of 2 stages, one which will be a eanx 50 and the other will be an intermediate Trimix, something like 30/30 to avoid staying too long on the back mounted 7 litre.

With this config there is no need for a yellow bag as you are 100% self sufficient with what you're carrying, and this was what we both wanted to achieve

I didn't want to mount anything else on the back of the rig as I feel it's a huge snag hazard, plus if you decide to use 8.5 or 12 litre cylinders then it just gets ridiculous. Having the canistor torch mounted on the waistband is fine and the suyit inflation cylinder doesn't seem to affect WOB at all.

If you want you can plumb in the stages through the GCS into the BOV but personally I'd rather be off the loop on a reg so I can control loop volume during ascent

It's not perfect I know, but it's bloody lovely not having stages for 30-40m dives and for deeper dives it ticks all my own personal boxes, so I'm happy.

Cheers

Rich

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice, but one question. If thats a hog looped OC reg, how does the diver propose to donate? or is it only for personaly bail out only? This is a common theme I've found when diving on CCR with other CCR divers. They are configured for self reliance - which I'm not criticising but how they cope with a stricken diver requesting and Octopus is something which appears not normally thought about.

#10 ·
Hi Dave,

I guess the only way you can donate a long hose is to come off the loop, I can't really imagine any other way round it unless you stow the hose in a bungee

We're diving again Friday so we will try donating and film it, I'll put it on my youtube channel over the weekend

YouTube - filmingunderwater's Channel

Cheers

Rich
I am just thinking about how that might work. Donating is clearly going to take a bit longer than on OC with the loop kinda in the way and the fact that the reg is clipped off. Do able I am sure but I wonder if you could also try getting a diver to breathe it where it is and then sorting out from there? Might be a bit cosy but just wondering if this could work?

#12 · (Edited)
G'day Folks

Rich has now updated the first post with a bit on info on where the unit is at and where it is heading. It seems to be coming together well and I'm looking forward to getting a good season's diving on it.

Mr Anderson, should you not be polishing your lift or something?

The suit is a Scapa Scuba suit, that one is a 2mm neoprene front entry. I'm very pleased with it.

Atb

Kieran

#13 ·
Could you guys not get a few more bathroom fittings attached to the rig? Maybe a shower mixing head or two and a few more cable ties as well? It's all looking a bit too clean and tidy ;)

#18 ·
Cheers, glad you like the look of it.

Hog loop wise. It's a tough one, rigged like this there is no doubt the system is not a snatch and grab one, it needs to be donated and it can be. It could be tucked under bungee on the cylinders but is a little more messy [in my opinion] but for me, importantly, it can be deployed a restowed [so an S drill can be completed at the start of a dive, essential in some environments]. I guess it comes down to, is something rigged for a diver just to appear out of gas or is it necesarry to have the mindset that there will be some prior knowledge to a diver having no gas [they have exhauseted there own reserve/bailout etc]? Its a tough one.

Atb

Kieran

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.