YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Shore diveable wrecks

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  japandiver 
#1 ·
After reading "goldfinder", i was wondering if there are as many relatively intact wrecks near the shore as it makes out. Apparently, around scotland and the many islands arounf the Uk, there are literally hundreds of wrecks in 5-20M that can be dived - if only you can locate the mark.

Is this true or are they either:

a) non-existant
b) completely salvaged beyond recognition

Not interested in salvage, just diving shallow wrecks with a sense of adventure.

#10 ·
Just north, not very far at all. You are best to get in where the road is next to the cliff, not where you can park up a farm track and walk down the access road to the doctors house. Take your kit down the steep little hill onto the rocks and then bung your drybag on and walk down. Head south following the reef out and you will find it.

I know someone who got 17stone of brass off it.... :) made a hell of a bang at 5am, cleared the surface and nearly hit the flobber (fold down rib) 500 yards away. Ahem.

#14 ·
torbaydiver said:
Oh I think it is , it's the best shore dive I've ever done , a nice reef out to it and more intact than some of the wrecks I've seen , and usually good visibility !
You're better off walking out to it at low water.

Good visibility. You haven't done it often then, have you ?.

The walk back up the beach is a bastard.

Sand in every bit of kit you own.

A better dive can be had from the same entry point though.

#15 ·
DougParker said:
You're better off walking out to it at low water.

Good visibility. You haven't done it often then, have you ?.

The walk back up the beach is a bastard.

Sand in every bit of kit you own.

A better dive can be had from the same entry point though.
yep granted it's a bit shallow, but that means better colour and light and a longer dive!
A hard walk up the beach ,yep give you that one !
I've dived it about 7 times and always had good reasonably good vis !

#16 ·
torbaydiver said:
I've dived it about 7 times and always had good reasonably good vis !
You are a lucky sod then.:)

I've done it a couple of dozen times and only had good viz twice.

Give me a shout the next time you're doing it and i'll take you out to Leasfoot, it's astounding, much better than the wreck and only in 10m. Makes the drive there and the thought of walking back up the beach worthwhile.

#18 ·
torbaydiver said:
Doug
I'm still up for devils point some time as well , let me know when your free !
Steve
Next weekend looks like a goer. We'll be there at 14:15 on Saturday providing the weather holds. We'll be diving anyway, no matter what the weather and viz are like. I just don't want to put you off by you diving during/after bad weather and you not appreciating what a stunning dive it is. We are always there a couple of hours before high tide to make sure we have time to kit up and walk down to it. Keep that in mind and let us know when.

Leasfoot is something special, we got told about it by a local. We would never have known about it otherwise.

#20 ·
There are 2 very nice shore wreck dives off the Norfolk coast. Both are a bit of a hike and you need to get them on either high or low water so as there is no tide running. The Vera is of the beach at Cley-next-the-sea. From the carpark, climb the shingle bank and look right, you will see a gun emplacement about a quater of a mile away. You should also see a bit of the wreck sticking up. Enough to keep you busy for well over an hour, max depth about 10m on spring tides.

Just down the coast, on Weybourne beach is the Rosalie. This is about half a mile west of the beach carpark. It is in about 10m and quite large, I have not dived it myself though. Apparently there is a resident conger and some big lobsters.

HTH

Paul

#21 ·
World's best shore & wreck dive

At the risk of making myself unpopular, this thread gives me a heaven sent opportunity to brag about the world's best wreck shore dive - that I've just spent 7 days diving......

The wreck is the President Coolidge on the island of Espirito Santo in Vanuatu. The ship was a luxury US liner built in the 1930's that was requisitioned as a troop shop in WW2. As she entered the harbour area with 5500 troops and crew she hit US mines. The captain beached her and all except 2 escaped. The bows now sit in 20m and the stern in 70m with the bow 100 m off the beach. It is truly a mind blowing wreck dive since the ship is largely intact. All manner of penetration dives with all sorts of stuff to see. Have a look at the sites below.

http://oceans.customer.netspace.net.au/santodive.html

www.oceans.com.au/pc.html

All the diving is air and 40 - 60m dives are routine. The deco is carried out in a coral garden and is almost more fun than the dive.

If you ever get the chance to dive here - grab it. Allan Powers runs the best dive operation and Coral Quays is a great place to stay. Direct flights from Oz to Luganville are expected to start shortly.

The once-in-a-lifetime Pacific diving trip continues - next stop Fiji. Returning to the UK in Dec is really going to hurt!

Hugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.