YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Ccr/scr

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  beanie 
#1 · (Edited)
[No message]

#2 ·
divetheworld said:
I have been thinking up reasons for not going to the dark side for too long, time to think seriously.
What is a good price for a SCR/CCR?
Purely for the cost, I have been looking at the Dolphin. What is it going to cost me, both initially and in the long run?
I have seen Dolphins going in the States for about £1000 with some limited use, is there a comparable price for the same in the UK? You dont often see SCR's for sale, I wonder why sometimes.
Oh, before you all tell me the wonders of the YBOD, I fully understand. The wife and the wallet do not.
Me - 0
Wife - 1
hello divetheworld if your looking at rb's it will never be cheap!
i see dophins go for about £600 for an old one and about £1000/1500 for a newer one i paid £1200 for one that had done 3 dives my friend has paid 600 for a very old atantis+300 for a new scruber he'll coverting it to a ccr soon,as that the reasone he brought it
you can convert a dolphin to ccr quite easyly but yo0u dont have to spend the time and money that i have to do it,but remember your life depends on what you do!
there are plenty of scr rb's for sale check out e-bay
think very carefully why you want one as they are not cheap to run and not cheap to build/convert but i think are nicer to dive!
best regards john routley

#3 ·
divetheworld said:
You dont often see SCR's for sale, I wonder why sometimes.
What you have to ask is what is the advantage of an SCR over conventional scuba?
You need fills just as often and your mix is far more critical. Then you have all the chore of cleaning and putting kitty litter in it. If reduced bubbles is that important to you there may be a reason to go with it but I looked at it and wondered why and changed plan and went for the turtle. I have to do the cleaning, filling and batteries but it's always ready for any dive and I cost my dives at £3 an hour.
Most SCR dives can be more easily done on OC and while the SCR guy is preping his rig for tomorrow you are in the bar. This is why I still own a BCD and single set, and, come to think of it, I still have the twins.

nigelH

#4 ·
My own view is that active SCR is a waste of time & money. I also think it is quite a flawed system. The idea of diving an active SCR with no O2 monitoring just seems like madness.

As Nigel says, why would you want a unit that has no advantage but many disadvantages over OC? Air/EAN isn't expensive and it's simple. At the risk of upsetting a lot of folk, an unmodified Atlantis/Dolphin is just a toy, albeit a very well made one (which is why it makes a good basis for modifying to CCR).

Cheers,

Stuart

#8 ·
well OK then

divetheworld said:
Thanks Beanie, it all makes sense to me now?!?!?!?! eh?

So how does duration of your supply tank of an SCR compare to OC? I would assume one SCR cyl could outlast twins in the above 35-40m mark?
well someone i know uses the same amount of gas on a SCR as his wife does on OC
I planned to leave the doubles at home for <40m-ish diving and go back to OC for DD&D. I dont see us going beyond 60m on a regular basis so far. Going deeper is on a need-to-do basis, i dont have the need right now.
really? swapping and change from rebreather diving to OC and back isn't really a good idea (IMO)
I looked at SCR because of the logistic problems I envisage with getting hold of o2 at high pressure. I mix my own nitrox because I find it difficult to get hold of (without spending a fortune too). Due to the wife/house/family, I suspect that the ideal setup is as far away as my lottery win. But this doesnt mean I wish to hang up the gloves, challenges and progression with something I enjoy so much is my goal.
1 J of O2 would last untill it was down to 100 bar then change it - its the rental which costs - and of course your only filling a 3 with 40-60 bar a day (90-120 litres -23 bar from a J?) :)
So here are my thoughts;
a) Should I give up on 'breathers, I will not get any benefit from it? (listening carefully to Nigels wisdom)
b) Dolphin? Bah, do yourself a favour and save up for another year for a YBOD. I expect this will be the popular answer.
c) What about the Azimuth?
again i stick with b
don't give up on it and the azimuth is still scr with its inherant shortfalls
I think I will be hunting some of you guys down at the Brummy dive show for beers and chats.[/QUOTE]
feel free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.