YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

A little help, please - car stereo question.

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Jules 
#1 ·
My car sound system has packed up - I thought it was the amp that was broken BUT occasionally I get some sign of life from it when going over rough ground or if I get engine judder (poor old girl).

The most curious effect is that when the indicators are on or when I "flash the main beam" I get a much stronger sound?

There is no one locally to take it to.

Anyone suffered the same or recognizes the symptoms?

#4 ·
MattS said:
Sounds like a bad earth. Start by checking the multi plug in the back.
Matt,

Tks for the reply. My garage "local" had a look and tested for earth probs but he thought it was OK.

Do you have any idea how many strange noises an old car makes without the stereo on? :)

I guess I'll have to have a day out and take it somewhere.

Bryan

#5 ·
It's probably a dodgy connection on one of the pcd's inside

The pcb's are produced en-masse abroad and there designed to have a short life
hence there are a lot of 'dry joints' (nothing to do with drugs ) on the soldering

#6 ·
bouncer2 said:
It's probably a dodgy connection on one of the pcd's inside

The pcb's are produced en-masse abroad and there designed to have a short life
hence there are a lot of 'dry joints' (nothing to do with drugs ) on the soldering
PCBs? Aren't they a chemical?

Hmm - I haven't had a look at the guts of it! Dry joints? Well I've got loads of water :). In fact I take cod liver oil capsules for my joints. Possibilities :p .

#7 · (Edited)
PCB = Printed circuit board

inbuilt obsolesence means that whereas in the past you could solder new components onto a board, these days you cant usually do that as the bits are so small and fracile that the whole thing melts when you get your soldering iron out.

So highly trained engineers become PCB swappers.. or leave engineering and join the management

rant over..

sounds like a dry joint ( a solder joint where the solder didnt flow properly and hence fails either permanently or intermittently) to me, if it changes when vibrated or an earth fault if it changes when you switch on or off other electric things....

If it's an intermittent dry joint then the fault finding technique is percussive testing. Hit it until it works again or fails completely.

jules
xx

#10 ·
Yeah, you could say that! At poly I did electronics and communications engineering, then did 12 years as a broadcast engineer on operations and maintenance of TV and Radio transmitters before moving into management and then the health and safety side of things.. now spend all my life talking about radio frequency hazards... more interesting than it sounds if you have two anoraks like I do.

Jules

#11 ·
I find driving over speed bumps at about 45-46mph really helps with intermittent problems. It either falls off or fixes itself. Either that or a large lump hammer makes the world of difference, especially good for bodywork.

The question, Jules, is can you solder? Because I'm going to have some PCBs need making up pretty soon, and it's much easier to flirt with ladies to get what I want than John, who doesn't seem to appreciate my flirting at all!

#12 ·
imported_andyp said:
Yeh,

You got very strange ears, gets louder when the indicators are on. Hmmmmmmm

Andrew
The volume increase coincides with anything that draws current (?) - with the indicators it coincides with the flash of the bullb.

#16 ·
Julia C said:
PCB = Printed circuit board

inbuilt obsolesence means that whereas in the past you could solder new components onto a board, these days you cant usually do that as the bits are so small and fracile that the whole thing melts when you get your soldering iron out.

So highly trained engineers become PCB swappers.. or leave engineering and join the management

rant over..

sounds like a dry joint ( a solder joint where the solder didnt flow properly and hence fails either permanently or intermittently) to me, if it changes when vibrated or an earth fault if it changes when you switch on or off other electric things....

If it's an intermittent dry joint then the fault finding technique is percussive testing. Hit it until it works again or fails completely.

jules
xx
This is all a bit technical for women surely - can we start a thread on pussycats, knitting and baking!! :D

#18 ·
diving dude said:
So Agus, were you ill on the day the talk "political correctness for the sheep shagging yorkies " was held?

Interesting, a thread about baking sown up pussycats...........

You obviously were ill the day the talk about animal rights was held as well?
Was that on the same bill as Southern Shandy Drinking T*ssers? or was it the dodgy cowboy builders!!! :shade:

#19 ·
Angus said:
This is all a bit technical for women surely - can we start a thread on pussycats, knitting and baking!! :D
:secret: Yes you are obviously right, but dont tell my boss cos he thinks I am a highly qualified engineer and health and safety professional. If he realises that I am also a girl then he might stop paying me so well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.