YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Advice on Torches?

3K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  Justin Owen 
#1 ·
I am in need of a decent torch but am a bit clueless as to what one to get get as there seem to be so many out there. My budget isn't huge, and I want the biggest bang for the buck if you know what I mean.......

As I am not in any way a technical diver (just a novice me!!), I am not really after a mammoth beast of a thing with umbilicals etc, but a tried and tested medium sized torch that will make darker things visibly brighter.

if you have the time, I would appreciate advice on products and ideas about the sort of ching I am going to have to lay out.

thank you one and all!!

#5 ·
I've got a UKD8 - it is a big lump but tough as anything. Twin bulbs so inbuilt backup - although I'm still using the originals. Years of abuse doing wrecks. Very bright.

It is one of my dive purchases that I have no plans on upgrading.

#6 ·
Ditto for the UKD8R. Its a fab torch and has lasted somedivers in my club for the last ten years.

Dave C

Personally got a Greenforce Tristar (three LED Umbilical) torch. Bright enough when its dark (no HID though) and lasts 40 hours per charge.

#8 ·
If you can afford it go for the 10W HID umbilical from Halcyon. We haggled at the London show and got it cheep but they retail at £340.00 Stunning performance with batteries that cost £28.00 instead of the £170 NIMH batteries for my CD torch.

ATB

Mark Chase

#10 ·
Angus said:
I agree with Mark but at the moment go for the fixed head version if you wanna avoid expensive bulb replacement.
Buy the Halcyon and it will deal with your wishes for quite a while
Humm... I have one and I'm unconvinced.
We know the expensive snag with the focusable 10W
is it just that we don't know know the snags with the others yet?

No I'm not pleased with mine. Two dives and I'm on the second bulb (80 quid) and supplying me the wrong parts to mend it meant I spent another 80 quid in excess baggage taking it to Finland and back where I couldn't use it.

nigelH

#12 ·
Juz said:
Best value torch on the market currently - in my opinion - is the Light cannon.

HID, brighter than my Custom Diver HID for about £150.
Have your retinas recovered from the last March's Dover gig yet Juz? :D

I have to agree with the Light Cannon; I have one and its very good for the money. The only downsides are that its not umbilical and not focusable but for the average diver its storming value for money.

#13 ·
UK LightCannon

I've got a UK light cannon and I'am very impressed so far. It is excellent value for money, very bright and an excellent color temp!!

However, I have heard concerns that is it quite fragile. I've not had any problems with mine yet but then I've only had it for a few months and it's only been on about 6 trips (1 overseas).

Cheers
Dan.

#14 ·
greenpants said:
However, I have heard concerns that is it quite fragile. I've not had any problems with mine yet but then I've only had it for a few months and it's only been on about 6 trips (1 overseas).
It may seem that way but they are actually pretty tough. I've dropped, sat on and whacked mine against more dive boat decks and cavern walls than I'd care to admit and its been fine so far.

#15 ·
Lite Cannon!

I have to agree,

They seem pretty robust, I am still on the first bulb after three years!
The only thing that bugs me is the plastic stickers peal off the side after about 6 dives, but that happens with all the UK torches.

I know, splitting hairs.

buy a lite Cannon as your first torch and you won't go wrong.

C

#19 ·
Ukd8r

Anohter vote for the UKD8R - £140, rechargeable, bright as you like (beats a Lite Cannon on a night dive IMO), redundant bulb, tough as old boots.
Feels a bit heavy out the water, but once in it's fine :)

Dave.

#20 ·
scubajay said:
Thanks for the tips.........I am busy researching as we speak!!!!
Remember to look at recharging times. If your on a multi-day dive trip can you recharge overnight, if necessary? Burn times & recharge times vary a lot between torches.

Also, do you need to dismantle torch to recharge. Some torches e.g. Kowalski's can be recharged via external contacts, reduces chance of flooding on a dive.

JT

#21 ·
nigelH said:
Humm... I have one and I'm unconvinced.
We know the expensive snag with the focusable 10W
is it just that we don't know know the snags with the others yet?

No I'm not pleased with mine. Two dives and I'm on the second bulb (80 quid) and supplying me the wrong parts to mend it meant I spent another 80 quid in excess baggage taking it to Finland and back where I couldn't use it.

nigelH

???? Bulbs for the fixed head 10w are £65?? I am pointing out the merits of the fixed head unit I haven’t tried the focusable head and I here it is fragile. The unit also weighs not a lot (1.6kg) so I cant figure out the bit about access baggage??

ATB

Mark Chase

#24 ·
I have a Kowalski 620.

Very well engineered bit of kit.
Nice bright light (20W), with a 50% setting to conserve power
Made of aluminium, so it will take some abuse without breaking.
Slightly negative buoyancy
No need to open it to recharge
Comes in a range of colours. Mine's in techie black so it's harder to see if I drop it, or put it down on a RIB

Bad points - takes a while to recharge, though there is a 620 Speed which has an 80 min recharge time.
If you need more power, the 1250 has a 50W bulb

Costs about £200

#25 ·
Mark Chase said:
???? Bulbs for the fixed head 10w are £65??
That was the refurb kit with some spare O-rings
Mark Chase said:
I am pointing out the merits of the fixed head unit I haven’t tried the focusable head and I here it is fragile.
Wind in the wrong dirction from narrow beam to get a wide beam and you are winding the bulb into the glass and it breaks. Winding with you left hand since the thing is on a Goodman handle why should you choose one way not the other. There is no warning in the manual that I ever saw. Just no end stop.
Mark Chase said:
The unit also weighs not a lot (1.6kg) so I cant figure out the bit about access baggage??
I have the bigger battery pack and naturally I took the charger as well. BA want over 8 quid a kilo excess baggage each way to Helsinki. I wasn't happy and I'm still not happy. I was prepared to pay the cost to have the torch because it was a very special diving trip but the packet had an 18w bulb in it when I sat down in the hotel room to sort it out.

nigelH

#26 ·
Light Cannon. No debate. Best bang for your buck. Buy the non-rechargable option and then with the money you've saved over buying the recharge unit go out and buy 2 sets of rechargable c cells and a charger.

With a set of fresh batteries you'd need a seriously expensive umbilical torch to outclass it. Don't buy a Halcyon torch right now given the question marks over spares from their supplier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.