YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Backup torch

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  MattS 
#1 ·
I need a backup torch.

Ideally it should have as many of the following characteristics as possible. It should be

1. Black
2. Shiny
3. Sexy

Would probably help if it was bright enough to read my slate and gauges with too I guess. I'd also like to clip it to my harness, so nothing too massive. Ive seen the ones from dirdirect and they are a stupid price.

Any suggestions ( apart from "stop being such a kit whore!")?

#2 ·
Neither black nor shiny, but the princeton tec surge is pretty bright for the size/price. Ikelite PCA is another good one, but less easy to harness-mount I'd guess. The little UK one looks good too, though not so bright.

#3 ·
I can't remember the name (until tonight) but I have an LED torch.

Standard batteries will last up to 100 hours so I switch mine on at the beginning of any dive and just leave it on.

Double O ringed.

Just right for reading computer and slates.

#4 ·
Mini Q 40

Stunning bit of kit

Err Not black
Not shiney
Not sexy

Sooooooo not that close to what you want but it works great :)

ATB

Mark Chase

#10 · (Edited)
Hi

You could try these

http://www.cnsales.net/photontorpedopage.htm

Davey Willo just got some and hasn't stopped talking about them for ages. The name is shite but the lights seem very well made, and easier to turn off without twisting too far.

I have used the Princeton Tek lights and they are nice and small, but they override the bulb, which of course will blow just when you need the light.

I just use Halcyon ones, can't really say much about them because I've never had a primary light fail. Just make sure the batteries are healthy. I'll tell you more in a couple of weeks after Cave 1 as I will probably be using them a lot. It helps if you have a buddy who is intelligent enough to check them on the dive to make sure they are not turned on by the pressure.

Andy

#12 ·
And said:
Hi

You could try these

http://www.cnsales.net/photontorpedopage.htm

Davey Willo just got some and hasn't stopped talking about them for ages. The name is shite but the lights seem very well made Andy

ROTFL Photon Torpedo :D Do they vibrate? Do they come with a purple end?

Id love to meet the twat who thought that was a good name :)

Are they available in the UK and if so at what cost?

I think the wife might like one :) as back up you understand

ATB

Mark Chase

#13 ·
I've always used the Mini Q 40 as a backup.

The Tektite LED torches look like a good bet for a backup. I haven't used one yet but was going to give them a try.

http://www.silentplanet.info/tektite.htm

#14 ·
Mark Chase said:
ROTFL Photon Torpedo :D Do they vibrate? Do they come with a purple end?

Id love to meet the twat who thought that was a good name :)

Are they available in the UK and if so at what cost?

I think the wife might like one :) as back up you understand

ATB

Mark Chase
Well they do have a double O ring to prevent 'leakage' :)

$65 plus postage from the states. Maybe Davey will post more details.

Andy

#18 ·
Just got info from Chuck the photon torpedo man. Here are the specs:

Depth rating: Field tested to 400 ffw. The wall thickness of the body is 50%+ greater than Scout lights.

Battery type (and quantity):3 Alkaline c-cells.
Burn time:4-5 hours +
Lumens:Not available. As a "cave backup light" the bulb assembly is driven at 75% of voltage to enhance reliability. There are brighter lights available if brightness is your goal.
Cost of shipping to the UK:$10.00 for one, $15.00 for two.
Bulb type:Xenon, 6 volt nominal, 5.5 watts (@ 6 volts).
Dimensions:Approximately 8.25" overall length, body diameter 1.5", bezel diameter 1.75".
Weight:200 grams (without batteries). Batteries weigh approximately 70 grams each.

Seems to mee that 5.5watts is pretty good for a back up torch. Meaning that i won't have to take my Hid when I go abroad.

Thoughts?

#19 ·
nmanfield said:
Seems to mee that 5.5watts is pretty good for a back up torch. Meaning that i won't have to take my Hid when I go abroad.

Thoughts?
When travelling abroad for recreational dives then I don't take my canister light. I have a shorter 5ft hose on my pioneer wing setup, which is adequate for dives in the 20-25 mtr range and nicely routes under the arm. If doing a night dive then the scouts (or equivalent) are fine, in fact, sometimes I prefer less light so as not to scare away the marine life you are there to see.

If I was doing deeper dives with twins then I'd have the canister and the proper 7ft hose without question. I have found that using a 7ft hose without the canister on a singles rig is a PITA, but using a twinset with a 7ft hose but without the canister is a serious PITA!

Those are my thoughts. It depends on what diving you are doing when travelling.

Andy

#21 ·
Another vote for the Peli Super Sabre Lite. First torch I haven't managed to break, and I have had a few.
All the specs
Fekin excellent and change from twenty quid.

The naff spring clip is easy to dispose of.

Available in black.
It's suprisingly shiny when you switch it on!
It has a Nato stock number, is used by special forces and firemen. Sexy enough!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.