View Full Version : Disgusted!!!

Dinger
09-11-04, 03:35 PM
Noticed this on the news page and am disgusted. Especially at this time of year (or any time for that matter!) Disgraceful stuff.

As a old soldier who fought in WWII said to me once "The French are there when they need you!"

"A French battleground where 8,000 British soldiers lost their lives in the First World War is being turned into a rubbish dump.

Bulldozers are already desecrating the human remains which have lain undisturbed since the Battle of Loos in 1915.

The bones of the dead are being churned and brought to the surface.

The timing of the move, just days before nations honour their war heroes on Remembrance Sunday, is a slap in the face for ex-servicemen and their families.

The news will dismay military personnel who have launched a massive new Web site - www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk - detailing all the British and Commonwealth soldiers who served in the Great War.

Already a campaign has been launched to stop the plans for a rubbish dump.

Richard Lane, historian for the Royal Leicester Regiment, which lost more than 500 men in the bloody assault, said: "It is utter desecration.

"If this was happening in England, the people responsible would be arrested."

The Battle of Loos raged from September 25 to October 19 at Auchy les Mines, near Loos in northern France.

Thousands of soldiers showed incredible courage as they went "over the top" to march on a heavily armed German hillock.

More than 60,000 infantrymen, among them Rudyard Kipling's son John, were killed, injured or taken prisoner. In all, 22 Victoria Crosses were awarded for heroism.

So many bodies were lost in the bloody quagmire, the field has become a mass grave to the missing"

MATTBIN
09-11-04, 04:07 PM
Being somewhat synical and doubting of a newspaper getting it correct I too would be appalled if this were true. Can we get confirmation from a second possibly more reliable source before we launch into a round of un-warranted Froggy bashing. Then let em have it with both barrells as it were.
Matt

09-11-04, 04:10 PM
If it's true then thats awful :(

[email protected]

DVR
09-11-04, 04:15 PM
Dinger, disgusted just doesnt describe how I feel, the timing of this desecration can't be accidental,Repeatedly the graves of our servicemen are vandalised and daubed with anti british slogans and the french government appear to do nothing about it. b*ST*RDS.

Rant over.

DVR
09-11-04, 04:16 PM
Being somewhat synical and doubting of a newspaper getting it correct I too would be appalled if this were true. Can we get confirmation from a second possibly more reliable source before we launch into a round of un-warranted Froggy bashing. Then let em have it with both barrells as it were.
Matt

AOL have an article on it also.

BOND
09-11-04, 04:17 PM
Really, what has this got to do with diving though?

09-11-04, 04:20 PM

That's why it's in non-diving posts!

Steve Summers
09-11-04, 04:24 PM

well nothing really except honouring and not desecrating the last resting place of people who made the ultimate sacrifice so that you can do whatever it is that you like to do.

Mr T.
09-11-04, 04:53 PM
Whilst shocked - moves like this have been happening quietly for years in France - I'm not remotely surprised.

Napoleon trained his canons at the Pyramids at Giza 'for target practise' before the Battle of the Nile. So a real art lover.

[scene: German troops waltzing down the Champs d'Elysee and through the Arc d'Triumph]

French waiter: "Table for 10,000, sir?"

Pez
09-11-04, 04:56 PM
For an answer to the "what has it got to do with diving?"question:

Go to 'Chinese Divers' website. You may not actually find their free speech forums though. :confused:

Mr T.
10-11-04, 10:30 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

http://tinypic.com/kwx9s

http://tinypic.com/kwzk3

Phoenix
10-11-04, 10:56 PM
Matt

I wasn't aware there was such a thing as "un-warranted Froggy bashing", it always seems warranted to me.

Ian

Moray
10-11-04, 11:05 PM
Bren, I wanted to green blob you for the knife bit, but it seems that I have to spread it around again...hmmm have to find some undeserving boring post...