YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Palau

838 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  noodle 
#1 ·
Anyone been to Palau ... Aggressor or FishNFins? Going there Jan 05.

#2 ·
Been there May '96. Only two dives with Fish'n'Fins, they were okay.
Was on liveaboard Ocean Hunter.
Great diving, good boat. But they do take beginners, same as Aggressor fleet does. This will determine the choice of sites you go to.
I hear Sams is the best land-based option at present.
Check out Undercurrent magazine online for trip reports.

Seadeuce

#3 ·
Seadeuce said:
Great diving, good boat. But they do take beginners, same as Aggressor fleet does.
Strange that, because when I booked with the Aggressor fleet for the Galapagos, they were quite insistent upon the appropriate experience.
I believe that the success of the land based trips in Palau is dependent upon tide times, as the big stuff only appears on the incoming tides. Is that right?

David

#4 ·
Land trips are usually to marine lakes, such as Jellyfish Lake. Down in Peleliu you can see relics of WWII. Access to land is normally by RIB or inflatable, which avoids having to wait for tides.

Before I went, I had checked with the tour operator - Sea & Sea (now bust) and they were adamant that the diving only suited advanced , experienced, divers. However, we had two AOWs onboard, one with less than thirty dives.

The Aggressor fleet, on its site, also states that Palau is for Intermediate/Advanced divers. They also say the same of Truk. Last October I dived Truk on the Odyssey. We had ten divers, Aggressor six, Thorfinn one. The Aggressor restricts diving to 40m max. This hints at its taking "less than the required grade" divers aboard.

I would not like to have paid what I paid to get there only to be told that wrecks X,Y, and Z cannot be dived!!

If you get to Palau you will enjoy it. Don't forget to go sea kayaking for a day, unforgettable with snorkel gear aboard.

Cheers,

Seadeuce

#6 ·
I'm soooo excited!

Just received my tickets for this trip. Yippee!!! :D :D :D
Sorry, I know most of you won't like to hear this, but ... I'm off to Singapore for Christmas for a few days, then onto Palau for the New Year.
Uuugggh ... can't wait for the next few weeks to go by.
Dorothy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.