View Full Version : Computers?

chapman
26-10-10, 08:39 PM
Any top tips on Computers? I was looking at a Suunto Vyper but I noticed DIR Direct selling Aladin 2G's for about the same price. I dive recreationally and I'm unlikely to go further than Nitrox.

Cheers

Mal Bridgeman
26-10-10, 08:51 PM
Any top tips on Computers? I was looking at a Suunto Vyper but I noticed DIR Direct selling Aladin 2G's for about the same price. I dive recreationally and I'm unlikely to go further than Nitrox.

Cheers

Are you looking for generic computer-based dive planning or DIR specific info?

Mark Chase
26-10-10, 09:37 PM
Suunto Vypers have always been a good starting point for dive computers. Even when you need more than nitrox the Vyper in gauge mode makes a good back up depth and bottom timer. I still use the Vytec version today when diving mix on CCR. I use it as back up depth and timer and to log all my dives because the dive log software is prety good.

Suuntos are not very up on modern thinking on deco but at a recreational level they get the job done.

If however your thinking of going the DUR rout? then a cheeper depth and bottom timer would sufice. Mind you i still like the Suunto just for logging the dives.

ATB

Mark

Janos
26-10-10, 09:47 PM
I'd get a Suunto Gekko. Simple, easy to read, and reasonably priced.

The extra features of the higher models in the Suunto range wouldn't be worth it for me - I wouldn't use them.

Janos

AndyA
26-10-10, 10:07 PM
Either will do the job perfectly well and both can be picked up pretty cheap second hand. I use a 2G that I picked up 2nd hand, and have been very happy with it.

John63
27-10-10, 05:20 AM

Cheers

I'd get a Suunto Gekko. Simple, easy to read, and reasonably priced.

The extra features of the higher models in the Suunto range wouldn't be worth it for me - I wouldn't use them.

Janos

As it happens, I have a gekko for sale. Virtually unused (7 dives in the log), screen guard, manual, 100 +p&p

I will be back in UK in mid Nov so can post then.

Cheers, John

Twinsetmad
27-10-10, 05:50 AM
Gekko doesn't have guage mode, so you can't use it as just a timer, the Tech G2.... don't people have occasional issues with button pushing whilst kitting up..? I seam to remember reading it somewhere... I'd go for a Vyper...... in fact when no.2 son started thats what I bought for him.

Garf
27-10-10, 06:35 AM
If it's a DIR question then it's a no brainer - go for the Tech2G. Resettable average depth and dive timer accurate to the second. If you do go DIR you'll appreciate these functions, and you don't need the rest of the clever stuff both computers do because you're not going to use it as a computer, only a depth timer. The Gekko is a non starter without a gauge mode, and I'm not convinced the vyper has a second indicator. That one isn't the end of the world but I know lots of divers, myself included that find it useful for checking ascent rates.

BJ
27-10-10, 07:40 AM
If you are not in need of a deco computer (you will be eventually when you dive beyond lakes with a set depth) maybe you'd be better off with Beuchat Mundial Depth Gauge.

Garf
27-10-10, 08:13 AM
you will be eventually when you dive beyond lakes with a set depth

Unless of course you dive DIR. Maybe he should of posted in the DIR forum. Oh, wait a minute...

NotDeadYet
27-10-10, 09:29 AM
If you are not in need of a deco computer (you will be eventually when you dive beyond lakes with a set depth) maybe you'd be better off with Beuchat Mundial Depth Gauge.

Pah! What you want is an SOS helium gauge, spot on accurate to 150m and more chrome than a Cadillac. Lovely bits of kit, especially the green and black UDT model.

04-11-10, 06:13 PM
If it's a DIR question then it's a no brainer - go for the Tech2G. Resettable average depth and dive timer accurate to the second. If you do go DIR you'll appreciate these functions, and you don't need the rest of the clever stuff both computers do because you're not going to use it as a computer, only a depth timer. The Gekko is a non starter without a gauge mode, and I'm not convinced the vyper has a second indicator. That one isn't the end of the world but I know lots of divers, myself included that find it useful for checking ascent rates.

The vyper air does seconds in gauge and has a stop watch. However unlike the old vypers it no longer gives you average depth at all (you have to download to see it) and no ascent rate indicator in gauge. Big step backwards.

Gecko already discounted due to lack of gauge but ive personally seen 6 geckos and 3 vypers break in the last 2 years for people all with the same issue (depth sensor died). Some of these computers were only months old.