YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

DIR questions

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  iainmsmith 
#1 ·
Guys,

I’ve got a couple of DIR questions that I’m hoping you’ll be able to help me with. I’m asking these questions out of genuine interest in the DIR concept.

1.Kit – the DIR way is for standard kit configurations. How much variance is allowed? Say for example a diver wanted to use an off the shelf harness rather than the prescribed webbing set up.

2.Other training agencies – BSAC for example, recognise training completed with other agencies (e.g. PADI). What about DIR? Do you basically say “forget what you’ve learned else where and this is how to do it right”

3.Recognition of DIR – if I turned up at a dive centre say in the Maldives, would they recognise DIR as a valid qualification?

As I’ve said none of these questions are meant to be controversial in any way. However, if you believe that the answers to any of my questions would kick off another DIR bashing session then pls PM me with your answers.

Thanks

John

See less See more
#2 ·
1. See GUE's website and the equipment standards for the courses, thats the best start. As long as the harness is one piece then it doesn't matter if its off the shelf or home made. The Halcyon one has all the right elements in the right places so its an easy solution.

2. BSAC don't recognise GUE courses, even my shiny Tech1 trimix card. GUE don't recognise other agencies courses. It doesn't matter how many cards you have you will need to do the courses in the prescribed order ie DIRF, then Cave or Tech 1, 2, and 3.

3.GUE cards are recognised in most places I think. If there are any difficulties then email GUE and they will contact the dive centre concerned. As you have a OW qual anyway then you use that as well. Just saying you are a DIR diver is not a qualification.

Hope that helps

Andy

#3 ·
Gas Muncher said:
Guys,

I’ve got a couple of DIR questions that I’m hoping you’ll be able to help me with. I’m asking these questions out of genuine interest in the DIR concept.

1.Kit – the DIR way is for standard kit configurations. How much variance is allowed? Say for example a diver wanted to use an off the shelf harness rather than the prescribed webbing set up.
That depends on what you mean by DIR and what you mean by allowed. The GUE standards require you to have a one piece harness with no plastic clips.
So to do a GUE course, you can't have an off the shelf harness (Like a transpac etc)

2.Other training agencies – BSAC for example, recognise training completed with other agencies (e.g. PADI). What about DIR? Do you basically say “forget what you’ve learned else where and this is how to do it right”
Again, it's GUE that do the training. I don't know if BSAC recognise GUE qualifications, however currently you only have Rec-Triox, and the Tech 1,2,3 as even vaguely overlapping BSAC's stuff and they are all Trimix quals If BSAC don't recognise them, then just do those dives "Outside" of BSAC.

3.Recognition of DIR – if I turned up at a dive centre say in the Maldives, would they recognise DIR as a valid qualification?
Again, it depends what you are trying to do. I don't know how much Trimix diving goes on in the Maldives. I suspect they would take it as a Nitrox cert.

Currently there is no GUE OW course (It's in the pipeline) and so you need to be a qualified diver first.

Your Best bet is to have a look at www.gue.com there is lots of info there, or have a chat with Andy Kerslake (GUE UK instructor)

HTH
John

#4 ·
Not that I'm DIR

I'll probably be proved wrong later but to answer your questions:

Dir is a standard and as a standard things should be the same. IE one piece Harness is recommended over off the shelf harness as it reduces failure points. Lots of plastic off the shelf kit have connection points, or loads of D rings. Think minimalist.

Dir is not a training agency , its a philosophy.. reasons behind why you should dive thhis way. GUE is their training arm.

See above, and it would not affect your current PADI, BSAC qualifications anyway.

Hope that helps

#5 ·
Gas Muncher said:
Guys,

As I’ve said none of these questions are meant to be controversial in any way. However, if you believe that the answers to any of my questions would kick off another DIR bashing session then pls PM me with your answers.

Thanks

John
John,

In my limited exposure and knowledge I'll try to answer your questions.

Kit - Should be standard throughout. i.e.the harness is a 1 piece whether it is halcyon bought or from Wozstraps. Variations in SPG, Regs etc can happen but you'll find that they are all a muchness (Regs are either Scubapro or Apeks), SPG's should be glass and large/robust (Agir, Uwatec, Halcyon)

Agencies - Once you start diving DIR and with other DIR divers you will want to forget most of the things you've learned previously, believe me.

Recognition - You mean GUE (Global Underwater Explorers) not DIR (Doing It Right). I'm not really sure about this, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to verify.

Not really sure if this helps you out. If your interested in DIR/GUE then buy "The fundamentals of Better Diving" by Jarrod Jablonski available from http://www.dirdirect.com and have a look through what and why's.

Or come along to Stoney on the 4/5th and ask the experts :teeth:

HTH

#6 ·
More kit questions

Rick,

You used the word "Should" serveral times when descibing kit config's rather then the word "Must". So if I have a wing thats bungeed would it be a case of "you shouldn't have bungee's" or "you must not have bungee's". I know this might seem petty but I'm trying to understand what would be deemed acceptable and what is an absolute no-no.

Thanks

John

#8 ·
And said:
2. BSAC don't recognise GUE courses, even my shiny Tech1 trimix card.
I wonder if that's because there is no allowance for thick beards with crumbs of your dinner stuck in it, pipe smoking, faded ABLJs and "aqualungs"? Let's face it, when the rest of the world was using nitrox, BSAC were saying it was too complicated for its members to use, they haven't exactly been cutting edge. The HSE recognise the courses now as I recall.

Many manufacturers other than Halcyon do off the shelf single piece harnesses, Dive Rite for one.

While courses have their place, with a lot of diving the best way to learn is to dive with people already doing what you want to do.

#9 ·
NotDeadYet said:
While courses have their place, with a lot of diving the best way to learn is to dive with people already doing what you want to do.
Hey Stuart,

Tyler showed us some video footage he shot of some French Cave divers. That was really scary! I'm not sure that I'd want to learn from copying them :)

Andy

#10 ·
Gas Muncher said:
Rick,

You used the word "Should" serveral times when descibing kit config's rather then the word "Must". So if I have a wing thats bungeed would it be a case of "you shouldn't have bungee's" or "you must not have bungee's". I know this might seem petty but I'm trying to understand what would be deemed acceptable and what is an absolute no-no.

Thanks

John
I'm Scottish, excuse my English :)

Must be one piece, must be standardised, must not have bungies or (wait for it) "conviluted" crap on it that is not required !

Each piece of kit is "recommended" because of certain features or lack of them and explained to a degree in the book.

Until then feel free to ask as many "petty" questions you like fella :)

Read the book though, it'll help you out a lot!

#12 ·
Andy,

I could show you pics of Yank cave divers that are equally scarey. What does that prove? I don't get your point. Are all French divers dangerous maniacs? DrJM might comment on that :)

Like I said, courses are great, but experience is better. Find people that are likeminded and competent, go diving and learn. I am a great believer in a mentoring system rather than "sign here for your card that certifies you know everything".

Cheers,

Stuart

#16 ·
Minor points, but interested in the rationale?

And said:
Bungees. Must not have.
What about something like a Custom Divers TDB, which had the bungees removed? - there would still be the eyelets etc. Would this be considered an entanglement hazard, or is it the "inability" for a punctured bungeed bladder to hold air the main problem with them?

And said:
One Piece Harness. Must have
Is the "expanding section" acceptable (ie a continuous harness, but with an additional expanding section released with a clip to aid don/doff)?

Thanks.

#17 ·
Padowan said:
What about something like a Custom Divers TDB, which had the bungees removed? - there would still be the eyelets etc. Would this be considered an entanglement hazard, or is it the "inability" for a punctured bungeed bladder to hold air the main problem with them?

Guess which wing I bought a couple of weeks ago.... :)

#18 ·
Hi Helen

Yes I was, but I soon cooled off. I ripped a neckseal and had to do the three hour pool session with a flooded drysuit, quashing any myth that flooded drysuits affect buoyancy (they don't, at all).

I'm in the bottom right of the inwater pic where AndyG is trying to help Howard (Bitz) do a backkick (my claim to fame was I was the only guy able to backkick on the course :) )

I'm also in the pic of us all laying on the floor practicing Frogkicks. (Yellow and Black Drysuit)

It was the first official DIRF in the UK following HSE approval, and was taught by AndyG and our very own Andy Kerslake. It wasn't even pass or fail back then.

Andy

#20 ·
Padowan said:

Is the "expanding section" acceptable (ie a continuous harness, but with an additional expanding section released with a clip to aid don/doff)?

Thanks.
With the wing I guess it might be OK, wouldn't be very slick though, you'd have to check with AndyK and RichW.

No expanding clip thingy, not needed.

Andy

#21 ·
Other training agencies – BSAC for example, recognise training completed with other agencies (e.g. PADI). What about DIR? Do you basically say “forget what you’ve learned else where and this is how to do it right”
I did DIR-F as a BSAC AD/OWI/Nitrox Instructor with a TDI Trimix card. Fortunately I had been warned to leave my ego at home, as it would have otherwise been handed to me on a plate. And this is their pre-entry-level technical course...

I was highly sceptical about whether there was any point in doing Tech 1 (especially when they introduced DIR-F as a prerequisite) as I already had a card to do bigger dives. However, my tech buddies and I heard that JJ was going to be teaching DIR-F and we thought that it was worth a look. I'm extremely glad we did. Tech 1/Cave 1 are now on the "must do" list as soon as the three of us can actually work out an mutually convenient time.

In other words, there is no official "forget everything you know, we're going to teach you to dive." By the end of the video review after first dive, they don't _need_ to say it!

Best course I've ever done.
Iain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.