YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

ARGHHHH!!!! Can't get the top off!!!!

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Noel Johnson 
#1 ·
Hello All, and please excuse this silly question!

I have a couple of UK D4 torches which I have taken to dive with, but since then I cannot unscrew the tops off as they have 'magically' overtightened themselves. Apart from brute force, (which I do not own a brute nor am I forceful, lol! Honestly, I've got the weakest pair of hands on the planet!), any ideas or tips as to how to get these damn tops off?

Any ideas very much appreciated!

Cheers in advance,
Lou.

#3 ·
If you don't remember overtightening them, could it be a difference in internal pressure if it was warmer when you screwed them on than it is now you're trying to take them off?

Might be worth leaving them in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes and giving it another try...

#9 ·
Had experience of this the other day with a mates LightCannon. He reckoned that he might have put the battery in hot after being charged, and the contraction of the airspace made the top DAMN tight. It took two of us about 5 minutes to unscrew it, be holding the body between my knees a tea towel wrapped round the rummer end and both of us trying to unscrew it.

Reckon the oil filter/boa jam lid removers would be best for purchase on the lid..

Lesson learned - don't put the battery in hot....

#10 ·
Light Cannon problem

I've had the same problem with the light Cannon a couple of times. The soak in warm water trick works but you do need to leave it in there for ten minutes at least. I worked out that it was happening if I had just put the battery straight in after a full charge. Same problem, same solution. Let the battery cool down.

C

BTW other wise, the LC is the still the best Ferkin "cheap" HID light.
BTW, BTW: Except for Fatboy's borrowed Dazzler with which he lit up the engine room of the Hispania. :)

#12 ·
aaaaagggghhhhh this happens to my D8R and my Princton tec all the time. Going to try the approach with putting a cold battery in and see if that works in future.

What I normally do and if you break your torch dont come crying to me :) is this.

I wrap around the body of the torch a tea towel. I then kneel on the handle and with both hands turn the head of the torch. The tea towel stops your knees hurting. It does take brute strength but works. To stop the head slipping I use some big thick elastic bands. This helps with the grip.

The torch handle is rather strong, at first I thought it would snap but touch wood has not yet done so. It gives that extra bit of leverage if thats the correct term.

When this first happened we had (buddy and me) such a laugh trying to get it undone it took ages. Stupid things. Next time Im going to make sure I get one with pins on the back so it dont have to be taken apart. Well thats if its still tight after the cold battery technic. :eek:)

Good luck

Jamie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.