YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Admiralty Charts - Second Hand - Low Prices?

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Neil R 
#1 ·
I came across this website the other day:

http://www.chartsales.co.uk/pages/home.htm

They sell all Admiralty charts and publications, including new, second-hand, and 'cancelled' (i.e. not the current issue).

The price that caught my eye was £2.65 for the second-hand cancelled charts - "not to be used for navigation" - but no doubt plenty of uses for initial planning / wreck research / etc.

They also do others at £7.65 - the current editions but still needing the updates from the Notes to Mariners - all easily tracked down on the UKHO website. And the same but with these hand-written changes already done at £10.55. Plus new charts at what seems to be the standard £17.60.

I'll add a follow up post after my cancelled ones arrive to advise their condition - I ordered 8 in total which, with P&P included, worked out to about £3.50 each.

I was also quite interested in the new joint RYA / UKHO chart portfolios on CD - about £40 for quite a wide area, including some basic software to run them - until I saw these expire on 31st Dec each year!

Regards,

Neil

See less See more
#2 ·
The promised follow up

The charts arrived about 3 days after ordering, all well packaged. Plus free pen and waterproof mobile phone pouch!

One or two had the odd pencil line on, and one was slightly dirty, but overall their condition was absoultely fine. Arrived rolled with only the 'normal' fold lines.

Ages ranged from 1982 (!) to 2001, with the vast majority up to date to the late 90's. The 2001 one is actually still the current edition, i.e. the full 17 squids worth.

Overall I was pretty happy with the service.

I note the UKHO now make it pretty easy to track down the latest chart updates; the searchable Notices to Mariners can be found here:

http://www.nmwebsearch.com/

The first one I checked out had the magic words "new wreck", so this might be a good way of tracking down some of the more recently discovered / less dived stuff?

What do you guys with chartplotters do? - expensive update of the electronic charts every few years?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.