YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

problem with the squeeze

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Christian Reslow 
#1 ·
hi folks
could do with a bit of help getting rid of the squeeze in my dry suit, i`m new to dry suit diving and last week i did a dive in hodge close and as i desended to about 28m no matter what i did i could not get rid of the squeeze below the waist

#2 ·
Hi fox,

Without knowing exactly what you mean by "new to drysuit diving" I'm going to assume that you've been shown how to use the suit with an instructor or someone who knows what they're doing and that you know how to inject air via the inflator on the chest!

Air will rise to the highest point, so you can force air lower in the suit by assuming a head-down feet-up position in the water. The risk here is that it's not possible to vent air from the dump on your arm while you're inverted - but you should have been shown how to recover from an inversion by whoever taught you how to use the suit.

If this isn't working it's possible that air is unable to get past the waist band of your BC or your weightbelt if either is too tight - consider loosening the waistband or trying an alternative weighting system such as integrated weights or a harness.

HTH, Rick.

#5 ·
Good evening m.fox. It sounds like you´ve forgotten to use the drysuit tube. A small hose that leads air from your suit to your glove through the ring.
Good luck and take care!

#7 ·
I think that Christian read "wrist" instead of "waist" - his advice is sound if you ever have problem with squeeze in your dry-gloves!

If you've played around with your position in the water it's probably a restriction round your waist, as Daz said.

R.

#9 ·
m.fox said:
if i have a restriction with the weight belt how could i solve the prob as i have a wing that i assume doesn`t allow for intergrated weight systems and if a slacken it off it may come loose on a dive
Try slackening the weightbelt off just a little. Have the belt on the inside of your crotch strap, so that even if it does come a little loose you won't lose it.

If it really is a problem you can always wear a weight harness instead of a belt. I'd try Daz's advice of staying as horizontal as possible first though. I find that when I surface after a dive and go vertical at the surface, I can feel some squeeze in my legs that wasn't present when I was horizontal.

Also - if you are new to drysuits I assume you've realised they feel a bit different - if the squeeze isn't actually painful or restricting your movement, it may not be a problem - just something to get used to. Some of us have the opposite problem trying to keep air OUT of our legs! :)

And don't go plugging any tubes into your ring ;) :eek:

#10 ·
if you only loosen it enough to let air circulate a normal weight belt clip shouldnt come loose unless you lift the buckle bit ,try it at home fasten the belt and pull the webbings hey presto doesnt move

i had this problem on my drysuit course in a membrane and was frightened of losing weight and doing the polaris ascent but it never happened

#11 ·
m.fox said:
if i have a restriction with the weight belt how could i solve the prob as i have a wing that i assume doesn`t allow for intergrated weight systems and if a slacken it off it may come loose on a dive
u could get weight pockets that are threaded onto the waist band of the wing harness or get a v weight on your twins...that way u wont have a belt to worry about..
HTH

#13 ·
That is correct. A misunderstanding from me on the english. But hey, I´m from Sweden you know! ;) We´re not as bright here. Dive safely!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.