YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

TR Thompson??

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Ian@1904 
#1 ·
Has anyone got any info on this wreck or links to info?

Cheers

Ian

#2 ·
There are the notes I have from th last time I dived it:

T R THOMPSON
3538-ton cargo steamer, built 1897. 360ft x 47ft. Armed with 4.7in gun on stern. 301hp triple expansion engines. Cargo: 5600 tons iron ore, Algeria to Middlesbrough. Position: 50 40.17N; 00 05.63E. Depth: 30m.
Sunk: 29 March, 1918, by single torpedo from UB-57. Three saved from crew of 36.
Diving: Superstructure collapsed. Highest point stern, stands upright and 14m proud. Big break amidships. Gun fallen into wreckage. Shellcases nearby. Sand encroaching. Bell recovered by Bromley BSAC in 1989.

The vis was pretty grim when I dived it. I landed in the hold and couldn't tell if I was on the sea bed or the remains of the cargo! :D

#6 ·
tom said:
There's a nice gun on it.

Yup missed that as well,vis was so shocking all i remember is scrabbling around on a pile of slag (that'll be the cargo then!)

Have'nt bothered to go back.

I think the bell was found by the skipper of "Valerie" ( Alex.....is he still going?) when he was part of Bromley BSAC(as stated above).

Alan

#8 ·
Getafix said:
Yup missed that as well,vis was so shocking all i remember is scrabbling around on a pile of slag (that'll be the cargo then!)
We had about 5m when we dived it. The stern section (where the gun is) is definitely the most interesting bit; we didn't bother going forward to the more broken section. Very pretty wall of anemones on the hull.

#10 ·
tom said:
We had about 5m when we dived it
Hah !! So you now think 5m is good? You've now been sucked into the mire that is UK diving!! ;)

Changed your tune since that first wreck dive on the Pomerania with Paul O,the rest of us were all rather chuffed with 4-5m (admittedly a bit gloomy) :)

Proper diver now !! ;)

Alan :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.