View Full Version : Twinset, pearls, backplate, weights - the works! Advice?

fatboy
22-02-05, 01:43 AM
its just possible and with my fingers crossed i might be able to afford a twinset and wing in the very near future ie:2 weeks time
ive been looking at maybe an oms wing aluminium backplate and iq pack with twin manifolded 12s,and maybe new regs for it

anyone got a recommendation for regs? and hose lengths?

should i go for ss or ali backplate?

what weight system would you go for have used weightbelt with hardweights and integrated weights on my bc?

any other bits of info would be welcome ?

i know questions have been asked before like this

this post might be in the wrong place?

ps and will any of you like to carry it for me on any of the upcoming trips im booked on as my little brother told me to fek off!

fatboy
22-02-05, 01:44 AM
its just possible and with my fingers crossed i might be able to afford a twinset and wing in the very near future ie:2 weeks time
ive been looking at maybe an oms wing aluminium backplate and iq pack with twin manifolded 12s,and maybe new regs for it

anyone got a recommendation for regs? plus length of hoses?

what weight system would you go for have used weightbelt with hardweights and integrated weights on my bc?

ps and will any of you like to carry it for me on any of the upcoming trips im booked on as my little brother told me to fek off!

Rick Huggins
22-02-05, 06:30 AM
anyone got a recommendation for regs? and hose lengths?Whatever regs you go for you want to make sure that the hoses route nice an neat, I would therefore suggest either:-

Scubapro MK25 with 22" hoses (Pri, SPG) or Apeks DS4 with 24" hoses (Pri, SPG)

what weight system would you go for have used weightbelt with hardweights and integrated weights on my bc?)If you go for a S/S plate you may not need any additional weight!

John Touhig
22-02-05, 07:31 AM
I went through the same considerations about 4 months ago before I bought my current twinset rig. This is what I bought and why.

Wing CD TBD - personal recommendation from the DO, I like it, but some people don't because its not really DIR.

One piece Harness, I started off with a CD Sport Harness but I found that it had too much adjustment and too many features for me. As I will be diving with stages I wanted something simple and clean, so I swapped it for a home made one piece harness (Woz bits). All this married to a S/S backplate.

Regs - I settled on Apeks DST (turret version of the DS4 to aid hose routing) with tx40 second stage's. No complaints, top quality regs. Primary with a 7ft hose.

If you can, try the wing/harness/backplate combo before you buy to make sure its right for you.

Hope this helps

John

Mark Powell
22-02-05, 07:42 AM
If you can, try the wing/harness/backplate combo before you buy to make sure its right for you.

This is good advice, getting the right wing and harness can make a huge difference. Make sure you try the combo out in advance as it's a very expensive mistake if you find you don't get on with it.

A simple harness is all you need, these can either be bought off the shelf or put together yourself.

bottle_monkey
22-02-05, 07:50 AM
I also went through this process a few months ago.

I went of an OMS 45lb wing after looking at a lot of other wings as I thought the OMS was very well put togther and had the right amount of lift for my 10's (would be fine for your 12's). as far as i could see the design was very similar to that of the Halycon 45lb but much more adjustable and also cheaper. I didn't want to go for the 100lb OMS wing cos that thing is huge and way more lift than I would ever need (well at the mo)

I went for a pair of cyklon's for my regs cos I love the breath of poseidons. For hoses I have a standard length hose and a 2m hose. Initially I routed the hoses as the DIR boys do but after having digger strangle me in the pool when ripping my primary reg I decided to bungee the 2m hose on to my cylinder and then in my mouth rather than loop it round my neck.

Backplate I just went to Woz. lovey shiny ss backplate plus all the webbing u could want. was easy to put it altogether just borrowed a harness and backplate from a mate and copied.

For weight I just use the same weight belt and weight I used since I started diving (well obviously a bit less). fits with no problems.

So that is what I went for and so far it has been great to dive in. But I tried a lot of things before I shelled out the cash. This set up is good for me but may be pants for you. So try before u buy.

Kev

eddy
22-02-05, 08:33 AM
I bought my twins from these people:

Polaris (http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=polarisdiving&item=-1&frompage=222)

And havent had any problems - brilliant quality, fast service, recommended to my mates.

Just another option ;-)

andy_chesney
22-02-05, 08:39 AM
I use ss backplate, poseidon cyclon regs one which is on a standard length hose the other being on a 2 metre hose which is bungeed in my custom divers tdb wing.

Noel Johnson
22-02-05, 08:48 AM
My twins are on a stainless steel backplate (portland oceaneering type 2) and the Portland harness - similar to the CD one and a Dive Rite rec wing. I would use the Seac jacket but I already had the wing. I found that in freshwater I went from needing 9kilos using the BCD with a single and a pony to 4 kilos using the steel plate / wing and a single and a pony. Be warned though that I absolutely hated the plate at first but since trying it with twins I fell in love all over again. As previously stated try out some configs first to see what you like.

Reg wise - I used to have Dacor regs but have since swapped to Poseidon Cyklons. One standard and one on a 2M hose which I hogloop although I will have a look at bungeeing it to the side of the cylinder.

HTH

Noel.

kevFISH
22-02-05, 08:57 AM
I use a CD TDB, which for some reason tendto get a bad press, but the one I tried out worked for me and the one I got for myself fitted me perfectly out of the box - so little adjustment required. Poseidon Xstreams are nice for me. Side venting regs make your life very easy when it comes to routing and those first nervous shutdown/switches. 2m hose on primary reg bungeed on the wing, which deploys very easily btw. Faber 12s MDE manifold - as 'light' as you can get !?

Try things out if poss and try to make your own mind up. That's the hard part. The good part is some great diving ahead ;-)

ahar
22-02-05, 09:04 AM
anyone got a recommendation for regs? and hose lengths?

I did use Apeks DST 1st stages but swaped them for DS4s as they route better when using a DIR set up. Take a look at the DIR stuff for hose routing as it seems to work really well

A SS backplate will take weight off the weightbelt, but an ali travels better as it's lighter. I have a 3mm SS plate as I'm not going to be using it abroad

My trusty old weightbelt sits nicely below the harness, and I only have 4 kgs on it so it's comfortable. I've never used any other type of weight system.

I would try kit before buying - having a look at other people's kit is great as it can give you an idea of what your preference might be. I use a Halcyon wing with a 1 piece harness but I don't think it's universally loved

There are quite a few posts about this subject, have a seach through the forums as there are some great posts and links on previous threads. The DIR forum has some, but there are loads in the Equipment section

ps and will any of you like to carry it for me on any of the upcomisg trips im booked on as my little brother told me to fek off!

No chance :) I usually leave the backplate and harness attached to the twins all the time to make it easier to move around. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to carry them about on your back rather than in your hands

Hope the credit card has plenty of room left :D

22-02-05, 02:33 PM
anyone got a recommendation for regs? and hose lengths?Apeks atx 200 as a main, get a deal for a pack with an atx 40 and double consol, them buy a DS4T and put the atx 40 on it and it works out cheaper than buying seperates.

should i go for ss or ali backplate??SS to give the additional wieght, less on the belt.

what weight system would you go for have used weightbelt with hardweights and integrated weights on my bc??I've got 2x2kg V wieghts (and a couple spare if your interested?) between the wing and tanks to take more off the integrated wieghts I have on the waist strap of the harness, this made a big differance as previously they flopped about a bit.

any other bits of info would be welcome ??I was looking at a very similar rig before I got my dive right system, I just got a better deal on the dive right stuff, what your going for sounds fine. I put two gauges on mine, one on either tank, I listened to all the arguments for and against, but in the end I done it for peace on mind if I have to isolate and want to know how much gas I still have, and also I recon if one does go, I can always blank it off and still be able to dive rather than pack up and go home.

fek off!James :D

Andy M
22-02-05, 06:07 PM
I've got 2x2kg V wieghts (and a couple spare if your interested?) between the wing and tanks to take more off the integrated wieghts I have on the waist strap of the harness, this made a big differance as previously they flopped about a bit.

Be sure you have enough weight on your belt to allow you to take the twinset off and swim with it ahead of you. I believe this is an important skill.

cheers

Andy

fatboy
23-02-05, 01:13 AM
thankyou for the input off you guys on here tried to green everyone but some will have to wait

hyweldavies
09-09-05, 06:00 PM
With the caveat that I've not been diving that long, and have perhaps only done 20 odd dives in my wing, I went through similar decision last year. I eventually plumped for a DIR-style stainless steel backplate and one-piece harness rig. (Halcyon 55lb one, though the Dive Rite Classic seems fairly similar and is rather cheaper, the Agir Brokk one also seems much the same thing). I'm entirely happy with it and would buy exactly the same thing again. I had a go with the Dive-Rite Tranpace (rucksack harness type thign) and I prefer the backplate and one-piece harness, (as the DIR peeps say), but to be fair I only had one go with the Tranpac. I don't think I'd have saved much by making up my own backplate and harness, since the bladder's the expensive bit and buying the complete kit is significantly cheaper than the seperate bits. If considering Halcyon, there is some debate between the 40lbs wing and the 55. I went for 55 on the advice of the lady in the shop (dir-direct in portland), and am happy with it. Although it's nearly empty when diving, when it's rough and waves are going over your head on the surface, I'm glad of it. There's also the argument about lifting someone else in difficulty. That said, other's say 40 is plenty, so all I can really say is that I don't find the 55 to be an obvious nuisance.

Some kit is said to be dual-purpose for singles or twins, but this is said by some to be a compromise. I don't know from my own experience, but I went for a dedicated setup; the 55 Halcyon being only suitable for twins (unless you buy another bladder at considerable expense - which I would do if I went abroad).

Regarding regs - if buying Apeks I don't see any need for the turret. The DS4s I've got are fine for routing as they are. The DS4 also has the advantage that all ports are the same size - but the DST has a larger port for one outlet making it more awkward to swap stuff round (arguably). I went for the long-hose (2m) which I breath off. Both regs come round the same side, so I don't feel I need the double-sidedness of Poseidons. That's not to say there's anything wrong with Poseidons.

Apparently stainless steel is the backplate material for UK diving as the extra weight is a good thing. There's an argument for a thicker plate (thin only with Halcyon), since that replaces more weight from elsewhere.

I use a traditional weight belt which goes underneath the jock-strap of the harness. I'm not sure this is necessarily a good thing, as it would be tricky to dump, though won't come off accidentaly. I am considering some kind of weight system eg Halcyons pockets but they're very expensive. I'm not well placed to advise on this aspect, as I'm not wholly conviced by what I've got.

I didn't bother with the funny backpocket thing Halcyon do, and swapped it for something else. I couldn't see the point, though as I've said, I've not done that much diving. At the very least it makes it harder to check the wing-nuts holding your tank on, and I rather feel the slideyness of SS against the drysuit helps comfort. Dunno.

I've got the MDE manifold and it seems pretty robust - and seemingly much better than the cheaper "aqua" manifold. Apparently the MDE one doesn't have the DIRistas' most favoured O-ring arrangement, so perhaps something like the Agir-brok one might be better still (or not, as the case may be)

Overall, I'd buy the same thing again. Halcyon 55, 2x12, one gauge (not console), DS4-TX50.

Again I must stresss that although my comments are based on my recent thinking and subsequent purchase, I'm almost certainly less experience than most posters on these fora, so do bear that in mind.

Cheers

Hywel

AirAssisted
09-09-05, 06:15 PM
Paging Divingnakers ... paging divingnakers ......

Mark Chase
09-09-05, 06:27 PM
Another vote for Apex and DS4s or DST first stages. Solid reliable cheep to buy cheep to repair very good at depth and you can adjust the interstage presure to meger breeth with a large alun kee ;) TX40s are good TX50s are better ATX50s if you prefer smaller regs. Everything above this spec is just eye candy IMHO.

I also had a Custom Divers TDB wing and back plate. Very flexable very solid I liked it some dont. I liked OMS and CD TDB in the bungeed wing departemnt and I like OMS Dive Rite and Halcyon in the standard flat wing department.

Bungeed wings work with everyu possable tank config. Standard flat wings are specific to a Very small range of tanks. Thats the real choice. The CD one I had used to mount single tanks with just a cam band and twin independents with two cam bands. VERY handy for travel.

IF however you just going to use the rig for say twin 12s then get a dedicated flat wing as they work great if married to the corect rig.

DONT go for BCD jacket stile harnes rigs, stich to adjustable webbing or single piece harnes rigs (if you can get in and out of them). They just work and are better on all levels.

No point in going Ali back plate you will just have to carry more lead. Go for SS and get an ali for travel (mind you I never bothered and just suffered the 2.2Kg aditional weight).

My2p

ATB

Mark CHase

nigelH
09-09-05, 07:52 PM
Since this thread was last active in February is it worth posting to it now?