View Full Version : Which Wing for Meg?

Major Clanger
08-12-11, 01:18 PM
Acquired it with a Halcyon Explorer 55, which is a nice enough wing but seems quite baggy and flappy for the rig. Looking for something with a similar lift capacity, or less, but more stream-lined. Any recommendations?

NotDeadYet
08-12-11, 01:25 PM
I've always put a Zeagle on my boxes. It doesnt have a proper middle, just a piece of webbing that you adjust to control how wide you want the wing to be. Tough as old boots too, I struggled trying to get an awl through the cover to make a fixing hole.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

taylojonyd
08-12-11, 01:34 PM
A Meg buddy uses a CD Bravo wing & seems very happy with it.

SML
08-12-11, 01:35 PM
A Dive Rite tec wing with an sta ???

windymiller
08-12-11, 01:40 PM
the rec wing is very good for the meg

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Timw
08-12-11, 02:40 PM
The ISC Tetradon is good as well - it has a bit more lift than the Rec wing. My only reservation is the central hose positioning - works fine and has never been a problem - just looks a bit awkward.

windymiller
08-12-11, 03:05 PM
I use an oxycheq 50lb wing on my meg, not sure on the model but that works very well.

Major Clanger
08-12-11, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys, food for thought.

Lee C
08-12-11, 08:50 PM
I use a narked at 60 wing which I find ideal it.s 55lb so plenty of lift even with 7 & 11 bailout.
Cheers.
Lee C

Dive Africa
09-12-11, 09:08 AM
I use the 60lbs OMS (dual) wing for the larger tec dives - because it is bungee(d) it really resolves any flappy issues - the bungees also allow you to tighten them real tight at the top, which will then push gas towards bottom of wing and help with but lift, i.e you can get trim perfect by adjusting wing - before moving weight around.

For the shallower stuff I use the Tecradon wing - which also works well

Major Clanger
09-12-11, 11:51 AM
I use the 60lbs OMS (dual) wing for the larger tec dives - because it is bungee(d) it really resolves any flappy issues - the bungees also allow you to tighten them real tight at the top, which will then push gas towards bottom of wing and help with but lift, i.e you can get trim perfect by adjusting wing - before moving weight around.

For the shallower stuff I use the Tecradon wing - which also works well

This is the type of solution I'm considering; takes a bit of geting used to though as I was against bungeed wings on OC.

djc_offgassing
09-12-11, 02:12 PM
the rec wing is very good for the meg

+1

Girdles
09-12-11, 02:48 PM
Rec wing works well + cheap to get 2nd hand, Tetradon also very good to.
Quick question why use a bigger wing for deeper dives.

PeterVICEG
09-12-11, 03:28 PM
Rec wing works well + cheap to get 2nd hand, Tetradon also very good to.
Quick question why use a bigger wing for deeper dives.

On a bigger dive one needs more lift to compensate for weight swings. When hauling around multiple BO or deco cans, you need enough weight to sink you when those extra cans are empty, and enough lift to get your nose out of the water when they are full.

I have been using a 40# lift oxycheck singles wing that is OK for small dives. I bought the ISC wing but it sprung a leak after three dives. I been trying to get it fixed for a while. I don't like the central hose mount.

Strangley when I started diving the box and I worked out the weight swing issue, most local breather divers seemed indifferent to the issue prefering streamlining to redundant, as they saw it, lift.

Peter

Dive Africa
12-12-11, 05:49 AM
This is the type of solution I'm considering; takes a bit of geting used to though as I was against bungeed wings on OC.

The bungeed wing really not the crises that the DIR/GUE followers make out to be ;) I do most of my diving in caves (some quite tight) and never had an issue with snagging - as far as the bungees deflating the wing - if it has a puncture - I also never have had a issue with this and I assume you will be diving with a dry-suit in any event. The compact size and the adjustability as far as trim is concerned - for me at least - outweighed the negatives. Saying this the bungees used by OMS are not the traditional type, but some stretchable type rubber, which really does work/last well. And if you still don't like the bungees just remove them...

On a bigger dive one needs more lift to compensate for weight swings. When hauling around multiple BO or deco cans, you need enough weight to sink you when those extra cans are empty, and enough lift to get your nose out of the water when they are full.

I have been using a 40# lift oxycheck singles wing that is OK for small dives. I bought the ISC wing but it sprung a leak after three dives. I been trying to get it fixed for a while. I don't like the central hose mount.

Strangley when I started diving the box and I worked out the weight swing issue, most local breather divers seemed indifferent to the issue prefering streamlining to redundant, as they saw it, lift.

Peter

I agree, saying that I would not use anything smaller than 60lbs for tech dives.

My Tetradon also sprung a leak - it seemingly was a pinch between the bottom of the can and the bottom of the doughnut wing - good old bicycle patch and some Aquaseal resolved this. I also then wrapped bottom of the wing in an old car tube as a precaution.

Streamlining is important - naturally - but I'll always use a redundant wing for those deep-blue stuff - with the OMS wing there really is not a big difference (other than an extra inflator hose) between the single or dual wing in respect of streamlining.

Major Clanger
09-01-12, 04:37 PM
Quick update:

Opted for the Rec Wing and seems to work. Up to 50lbs of lift. Not too tightly bungeed and nicely shaped for streamlining. More lift at the arse end and the inflator neck tucks in nicely to the KT stand.

Thanks for the advice.

Major Clanger
09-01-12, 04:37 PM
Quick update:

Opted for the Rec Wing and seems to work. Up to 50lbs of lift. Not too tightly bungeed and nicely shaped for streamlining. More lift at the arse end and the inflator neck tucks in nicely to the KT stand.

Thanks for the advice.