YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

help with first regulator purchase

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Fathoms Down 
#1 ·
I'm looking for help picking my first regulator. I've looked at all the spec for apeks, scubapro, aqualung...... damn! the list is endless. I'm looking for something in the mid range price bracket.

I've looked at the ATX40/50 by Apeks, Aqualung's Titan and Legend range, scubapro's MK16 R390, Oceanic's Delta 3 DX4 but I'm still no nearer to buying one.

I need something that I can use here and abroad. Abroad being 6 months research on a coral reef on the other side of the world.

I also want something that I can fit larger hoses onto without having to buy extra bit. Reason being I found the regulator I used during my OW course rather restricting.

I know I should visit my local dive shop but I'd rather buy online without trying them out first than give my local dive shop my custom. Its run by ignorant ar*eholes who haven't got time to help you.

if anyone can help it'd be really appreciated

bob

See less See more
#2 ·
I am sure I heard somewhere that Aqualung now own Apeks and so their first stages use similar/same technocology and/or parts. I am also sure this little snippet of knowledge was accomanied by someone saying that their Aqualung was a better breathe - although this is a VERY subjective call.

I would go to your LDS, ask to try a few regs on a cylinder to get an idea of weight, shape and breathe and then buy from somewhere else if you really do not want to pout custom the LDS' way.

For my 2p worth, I use Apeks and cannot fault them. I have 3 sets of TX50/TX40 on DST, all bought second hand and all working perfectly. I wouldn't use anything else.

Whatever you decide on, if you are constrianed by budget or just end up favouring a particular brand, then make sure it is cold water rated as you can use this kit anywhere. Also, only go as high up the 'food chain' as you need to - my TX50 is just as good as my Dad's ATX200 IMO.

Regards

Mark

#3 ·
I use Apex, and they are great. However, if you're going to be off in sunnier places for a while I would go for a good set of Scubapro stuff - you can use them here (get a cold water model) and abroad but replacement parts are much easier to get than Apex when abroad as Scubapro are everywhere.

Divernet.com has some good reviews of regulators - have a flick through.

#4 · (Edited)
And don't be fooled by fiddly knobs and switches. I dive Poseidons and find they are much better than my oceanic Delta 3 that i have on my stage. The oceanic has a breathing resitance knob which can be dialed up/down... but i harly ever use it.

The Poseidons can be used at 10m just as well as they can be used at 50m. (I use a Jetstream & a Cyklon)

--Edit--

Forgot to mention, one major factor you should consider is that you will need to get the reg's serviced. So make sure there is a dealer relatively near you that can sort you out.

#5 ·
ffnnoogg said:
I also want something that I can fit larger hoses onto without having to buy extra bit. Reason being I found the regulator I used during my OW course rather restricting.
Bob, I find this surprising, are you sure that ir was not just a poorly set up reg?
As GI3 is/was fond of pointing out, jet engines are started using hoses that size, so it'd be pretty har to out breathe one, just think of your average free-flow.

I'd have no hesitation recommending the Apeks regs, but a lot of folks plug the wide bore MP port as getting the hoses in out of the way places can be a pain.

As you rightly allude to, if you're travelleing, the kit wants to be as standard as possible.

r
Paul

#6 ·
I dive Poseidons as well, very well made and easy to take apart and clean.

You can use these regs forever. When you are doing your training these regs are better for air sharing as it doesn't matter which way round they are.

As your diving progresses to a twin set these regs can come one over each shoulder. Makes them safer.

I now use mine on stages for my Rebreather

#8 ·
ahar said:
I use Apex, and they are great. However, if you're going to be off in sunnier places for a while I would go for a good set of Scubapro stuff - you can use them here (get a cold water model) and abroad but replacement parts are much easier to get than Apex when abroad as Scubapro are everywhere.
Yep I second this. For UK diving you cannot whack an Apeks.

For abroad diving then I would go for Scubapro 'cos of the spares even though all the regs I have seen go Tonto regularly have been Scubapro. Have heard mixed things about Mares and Oceanic and good things about Sherwood.

Poseidons you either love or hate and they are not a "beginners" reg as the breathe can be weird (thick shake-hamster cheeks). However I have a Jetstream and love it below 20m but it is bloody awful in the shallows where I use my TX40 which is top banana.

A common set up in our club is an Apeks over the right shoulder and a Poseidon over the left. And don't listen to anyone when they say Poseidons are £££ to service- are they hell if you know where to go. But they do need regular servicing or they will freeflow when you jump into the water.

Apeks and Poseidon both use non-standard reg hoses (Apeks with a 1/2" fitting on the 1st stage end and Poseidon with a completely custom 2nd stage end which is also different between Cyklons and Jetstreams as the JS hose has an inbuilt overpressure relief system).

#9 ·
ahar said:
I dive both Apeks and ScubaPro regs (Black pearls, ATX 40s and Mk25/S600) and find them both to be a good breathe even at extreme depths and temperatures. I also agree with Andy that the servicing for Apeks abroad can be a bit patchy at best.

When buying a reg, pop into your LDS and ask to try some; if you like the way it breathes (ie you don't feel air starved) then buy it, its that simple! :) A couple of other things to bear in mind are to spend as much as you can afford on your reg as its your main piece of life support equipment under the water and bear in mind that some regulators are not suitable for use with nitrox (your LDS will be able to advise you).

Good luck :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.