View Full Version : My Meg a year latter

PeterVICEG
13-02-12, 08:40 PM
After about a year of diving the Meg I am both finally learning to dive it reasonably well, and taking off some of the things I earlier considered important to have on it.

As I am about to embark on a tropical vacation I removed the stand I once considered so cool. Yes the stand is a boon on boats and generally when kitting up, but for me it has been difficult to attach and re-attach off board tanks. With my old butt plate I am much more able to find the rail to clip to and there seems more room back there for reels etc.

Not long ago I aquired a BOV. Initially I had an elaborate plumbing arrangement so I could run it from my onboard or offboard tanks. As soon as I had it in the water I hated it. Haveing all my BO and dil on the same circuit just seemed wrong to me. Now the BOV goes to a QC6 to whichever offboard tank I wish and a drawerfull of Y fittings and adaptors that have been eliminated.

The best mod I have done is to eliminate the two head clips on the backplate side of things. They seem to serve no usefull function and it is so much easier to get in and out of the head without them.

I have a larger wing. It seems needed when burdened with multiple offboard tanks.

I have wheelbarrow tube slices holding the hoses out of the way. My instructor taught me this and it is an effective way to do this and costs nothing.

I am thinking of ditching the towels in the spacer at the bottom of the can. They seem mostly a pain and there is never any water in there.

Can it be there is nothing left to do?

Peter

Major Clanger
15-02-12, 03:44 PM
I have side facing D Rings threaded on to my OPH for clipping torches etc. Trouble is they reduce arm movement and mostly get in the way, painfully. Where do you clip torches, camera etc?

PeterVICEG
15-02-12, 04:00 PM
I have side facing D Rings threaded on to my OPH for clipping torches etc. Trouble is they reduce arm movement and mostly get in the way, painfully. Where do you clip torches, camera etc?

The side facing D rings hurt me also. I don't use them and place small back up lights in my pockets. My corded light gets clipped to either to a D ring on my right waist or the side facing D ring on the exhale counterlung. Looped over the head can work well also.

The D ring on my crutch strap is also a handy spot to hang things from. That D ring on my waist belt is a welded model that sticks out 90 degrees from the belt. For me it is not in the way and I can swipe at it with out looking and find it.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Emily-MV Radiant Queen
23-02-12, 09:39 PM
We have this all ahead of us.... Got our megs home this week - all very new and scratch free at the mo but I'm sure Scapa will sort that soon enough!

matthewoutram
24-02-12, 09:21 AM
Its nice to see someone reducing the complexity of the kit rather than buying everything going and making it as cumbersome as possible!

Major Clanger
24-02-12, 09:59 AM
For my MEG I plan to KISS ;)