YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

umbilical torches ( which has been good in your brief opinion )

4K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  Ivon 
#1 ·
Would be helpful if you could post your umbilical name pro's and con's.
eg. spare parts expensive,Very bright ,value for money,bad experiences,your thinking about upgrading to to x - model,you seen sombody elses torch and thought very good that looked.......

#2 ·
Hi Roy

Whne you get a chance, go over and introduce yourself in the Introductions forum.

There have been quite a few postings on this in the past, you might want to have a little search through the archives.

I use a Halcyon Proteus 3 (10w HID umbilical) which I've been very happy with so far. There have also been lots of good things posted about Salvo lights (www.divingniknaks.com) as well.

As for Greenforce, I've heard and read mixed reports but more good than bad, especially about the new LED heads. Also heard much more good than bad about Custom Divers umbilicals.

#4 ·
I've got a greenforce Arrow 12. Its a great system because its modular, you can change the head or the battery pack very easily, and create your own torch from any of the greenforce parts. I've only got the standard head, but plan to upgrade to HID fairly soon, especially as i keep borrowing other peoples 100W HID heads.

Tim

#5 ·
There have also been lots of good things posted about Salvo lights

ive been looking at hid greenforce but it seams as though there has been lots of faults with these. I think if i was going to buy green force hid i should buy new because i will have 12 months insurance because everything i buy has faults on it anyway.

#6 ·
I now have a Salvo 21W HID 9ah which is simply stunning. The 4 hour burn time is handy for two dive days with the CCR where I seem to do a lot of bottom time :) The down side will be (but not for a while) the masive cost of bulbs and replacement battery pacs.

If you cant streatch to £650 for the 21W Salvo then I strongly recomend the Halcyon 10W HID fixed beem lead acid type. For £340 (I paid 300) it is an amazing bit of kit. The bulba are £60 which is very reasnoble for a HID the Bateries are about £15 to replace or a bit more if you dont want a lawn mower batterie, the Two hour burn time is enough for most people and the light is stunning. Wayyyyyyyyyy better than Andrews Greenforce LED tristar and much better than my 50W Custom Divers umbilical.

Get either one you wont be disapointed.

ATB

Mark Chase

#8 ·
umbilicals

JMD makes a good torch and mounting bracket for 360 quid , variable beam from spot to flood one hour plus burn time and its taken all the knocks of boat diving for the last 4 years and had no problems,50 watts by he way.Its well built and heavy so can lose some lead cheers Richie

#9 ·
I quite like FaMi. Modular like the greenforce, but with a proper switch and external charging. Obviously do all combinations of batteries, heads, things like that - as bright as you want, and not all that expensive.

I have had some problems with mine recently (the umbilical cable split) but i've just received my repaired torch (under warranty) and am happy to say that they've now got a modified cable connector to prevent such failures in teh future - obviously new ones would (I assume) have the new cable type too.

I have the multistar, a 50W halogen with a couple of backup LEDs, umbilical - lasts a little over an hour I think, has 3 power settings, and charges in 3-4 hours without opening the case (less chance of leaks).

Only problem is that they are still relatively rare in the UK (I only know of 3 places selling them - Denney, Stoney, and Divers Warehouse), but they do appear to be expanding so hopefully we'll get more availability, more choice, and a bit of price competition!

David

#10 ·
Halcyon Pro 9 (i think)
Pro's:
Excellent piece of kit. May possibly be bullet proof its so well made.
Great value for money.
Excellent burn time.
100w bulb is brighter than even 21HID's my buddy.

Con's:
Very heavy. PITA lifting the twins when its attached. Would rather one of these small NIMH? canister tortches. You could bring them on holiday!

#12 ·
I have a Halcyon Proteus 6 10w HID focusable umbilical. It has had more new bulbs than dives and last time in the water it went out after a minute or so and I suspect the ballast is chopped.

Frankly I'm getting tired of throwing money at it to try and make it work.

The occasion where I was sent a new bulb, sixty quid odd, put it in my luggage, took it to Finland paying excess baggage at 8 quid a kilo and then discovered they had sent me the wrong part (right label wrong bulb) is not a happy memory.

#13 ·
nigelH said:
I have a Halcyon Proteus 6 10w HID focusable umbilical. It has had more new bulbs than dives and last time in the water it went out after a minute or so and I suspect the ballast is chopped.

Frankly I'm getting tired of throwing money at it to try and make it work.

The occasion where I was sent a new bulb, sixty quid odd, put it in my luggage, took it to Finland paying excess baggage at 8 quid a kilo and then discovered they had sent me the wrong part (right label wrong bulb) is not a happy memory.
So what are you going to get as a replacement?

#14 ·
Never seen one myself, but there are some new LED umbilicals that are supposed to be just as good as a good HID, but far more robust and I expect cheaper. I know FaMi and Greenforce do them, not sure about others. Divers Warehouse defiitely have them listed, might be worth a look, although I'd want to see one in the water for myself before actually buying one.

David

#16 ·
Reikimaster said:
So what are you going to get as a replacement?
I was going to watch threads like this and see what isn't stabbing the owners in the back and try one of them.

However we are getting near the date of my annual dive medical so I'm in training for the dreaded step-ups and I don't buy anything until it is over.

Off to Brixham with my BSAC club for a week first thing tomorrow. :)

#19 ·
johntemp said:
I must be the only one that thinks £600+ is a very expensive torch no matter how good it is. :rolleyes:
The thought crossed my mind ;) - but I've found it invaluable since I got it. When it's a bit murky and the ambient light has dropped the HID's cut through it like you wouldn't believe. My buddies all have HID's and we actually use them set in the spotlight mode (also known as lightsaber) to signal to each other.

Besides anyone who complains about cost secretly wants one and is just trying to upset people who've spent lots of money on a torch :D

#22 ·
I got my one from the Dive Show in London in 04. I am still on the origional bulb. I paid £300 for it at the time but I think list is £340 available through DIR Direct or try Izzi down at Castletown. Underwater Explorors 01305 824555

The 21W is worth the mony but the 10W is fantastic value and much more than adiquate for most divers.

ATB

Mark Chase

10W in action

#24 ·
Me and SWMBO are off to the Maldives this afternoon, taking a FA&MI 4LED umbilical and 12w hid umbilical, I tell you how we got on when we get back, this will be the first dives with these. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.