View Full Version : Primary / canister light set up. Suggestions please?

Damianb
30-07-12, 02:40 PM
I have a 21W HID canister light on its way to me and I'm looking forward to finally being able to adequately light my way! However, before I get to use the beast - I need to attach a bolt snap and or double ender to the light in order to attach the light head to my harness D ring.

There seems to be a few schools of thought here and I wanted to get some perspective.

So, most divers who use a primary canister light (that I have seen) seem to have a bolt snap attached with cave line to the goodman handle (on thumb side if using left hand). Some divers have yet another bolt snap, again attached with cave line but to the rear of the light so you can clip it off with it dangling down when you are in the water, illuminating wet notes or whatever you are working on/ with. Some have a bungee at the rear of the light head which they clip a double ender to, instead of a semi permanent bolt snap. Some just have a bolt snap on the rear, and none on the goodman handle.
Some use a bolt snap only at the rear as they can't see any logic in attaching the light head using the goodman handle, especially when illuminated as you will be blinded :) For streamlining I can see this config would be clean as the cord to the light head would go up into the rear of the light, from the battery canister when you are settled, pre /post dive. What to do , what to do. Any 'sensible' thoughts appreciated!
Cheers.

Woz
30-07-12, 02:43 PM
http://www.kitfondle.co.uk/images/harness/clip.jpg

http://www.kitfondle.co.uk/images/harness/torch.jpg

One double ender does both jobs.

Woz
30-07-12, 02:46 PM
Although now I use bungee on the cable gland and a split ring on the Goodman handle. Clip it ot he Goodman end and it hangs as shown. Clip it to the cable gland end and it hangs down. No annoying dangly single clips.

Damianb
30-07-12, 02:53 PM
Ah, genius - nice design!

Forgive my ignorance here as I've probably missed something...apart from clean routing when top side, why attach from the goodman handle and not the rear of the light and just have one attachment point?

Orange Peel
30-07-12, 03:06 PM
umm i actually have one of these:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo-y9RQpvEafs2pwct1FAjp-oUmYpgnTl2S7BnOeRfxEC-jPi-KVgiPSQ

As my goodmans. It folds up, and i have a bolt snap attached to the D... works a treat...

Woz
30-07-12, 03:18 PM

Forgive my ignorance here as I've probably missed something...apart from clean routing when top side, why attach from the goodman handle and not the rear of the light and just have one attachment point?

Clean routing when topsides. And hanging from the gland (ooer) puts strain on the cable and should not be done dry but only underwater.

James The Badger
31-07-12, 07:42 AM

Good question. Woz is correct but I will add a little. Two attachment points are useful (the actual method of the attachment points is more a team/personal point) Think of the two positions as:
1) Goodman = Torch not in use. So at surface it points the bulb up to minimise risk of damage. In cave if you are swimming with an unconscious diver but their torch is still working if you clip it away and pull the umbilical under the waist band the light shines forward giving you some additional illumination.
2) Bungie loop= Both hands busy. There isn't a lot you can't do with a goodman in your hands (gas switching for example gets messy) but by securing with a bungie loop at the back of the ballast it nicely illuminates things like tying a line in or during ascent the torch points down leaving everybody's retinas working, but you can still use it to signal (if that's your thing)
Things to be aware of are watch the umbilical cord, particularly on things like coming up a boat lift, try and keep in in your waist band when not swimming. If you dive a long hose (wrapped) there is a technique if you have the umbilical over the top of the long hose to allow it to deploy fully that really has to been shown and practised.