View Full Version : Whats happening with the Meg?

Dive Junkie
28-08-14, 06:41 PM
I haven't dived my meg since 2010, did consider selling it but had too many tyre kickers wasting my time.

Not been on YD for a while, bit surprised no one is discussing the unit anymore?

Is it unit not in vogue any more?

megangel1
28-08-14, 07:21 PM
Still diving mine.
Out doing cave courses next week.

I think ccrexplorers took some of the traffic.

Nick Bailey
29-08-14, 07:33 AM
One being dived out of St Abbs last weekend.

mixedangased
29-08-14, 02:48 PM
still diving mine 9yrs now

Lee C
01-09-14, 01:04 PM
Yep still diving mine 8 years on not as much as I would like my buddy is a copper and works funny shifts.
I am based mid Lincolnshire anyone needs a buddy for Stoney/Guildy or sea give me a pm really need to use it more.
Unit is on a KT stand still love it never let me down.
Cheers
Lee C

Girdles
08-09-14, 04:44 PM
I have had mine sitting in the garage for the last 18 months, cant decide to sell or keep.
I know at least 9 other divers still using Megs on a regular basis, may not be in vogue anymore, but it works and its reliable.

Timw
08-09-14, 07:21 PM
Too expensive for most when you add the duty/vat/exchange rate on a new one (mind you, about the same as a JJ but they're trendy at the moment).
Still quite a few around on the south coast and 1/2 the boat using them in Bikini last week - Brits and Aussies.

dir-sussex
05-02-15, 11:55 AM
Still my favourite CCR. New version just released this year with completely new electronics based on automotive type Can-Bus system so all cables ar on disconnect fittings. With US dollar value still high it makes it very expensive to buy new.

Other limiting factors are the small number of active Meg instructors in the UK. That's partly due to the restrictive practices of ISC.

Nearest other European made CCR I'd consider is JJ, but if you've already got a working Meg then why change it?

Paul Evans
05-02-15, 01:53 PM
Still my favourite CCR. New version just released this year with completely new electronics based on automotive type Can-Bus system so all cables ar on disconnect fittings. With US dollar value still high it makes it very expensive to buy new.

Other limiting factors are the small number of active Meg instructors in the UK. That's partly due to the restrictive practices of ISC.

Nearest other European made CCR I'd consider is JJ, but if you've already got a working Meg then why change it?

Bullshit

dir-sussex
05-02-15, 01:59 PM
I just love a definitive intelligent response.

It's only a shame that I didn't get one 😂

nankerphelge
05-02-15, 04:01 PM
BullshitWhich bit?

dir-sussex
05-02-15, 06:42 PM
All of word "Bullshit"

Paul Evans
06-02-15, 03:54 PM
Which bit?

That's partly due to the restrictive practices of ISC...

Lunatic has no idea.

Can-bus system is not just Automotive and its not as simple as wiring your car's system into a CCR........... FFS...

If you had any idea how long the development of this has been going on!!!

I,ll give him the bit about the JJ and the old Meg's, the old meg's are starting to come up as people switch over, excellent value for money.

As for the pound / dollar, bit out of our control alas........

Thats me. I,m out. Join the Meg commuinty on Facebook if you need to know more. :)

I'm going back to the other place now :spliff:

djc_offgassing
08-02-15, 08:39 AM
I luv the Meg but have sold both of mine...have been waiting for the new handset since 2010 as I have difficulty reading old primary handset.

Nail in the coffin for me was the offensively high price of the new head...no deco for another year & expected to be an extra $1000 on top.

If I could read the 2.7 handset I would still be diving the Meg but cannot justify the move to MK15.

A pity ISC didn't make a adaptor ring for the pathfinder head to fit the Meg can as an option, can't buy a pathfinder head on its own otherwise I would have made the adaptor myself........

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dir-sussex
09-02-15, 08:46 AM
Hi Dave,

I fully understand your logic, especially as the handsets are far easier to read than the old style LCD on the Meg.

The JJ offers many of the things we want(ed) for the Meg, such as clearer handsets, back-mounted counterlungs, lifting handle & stand and the Shearwater computers / setpoint controller with Deco as standard and at a better price, (especially the deal you struck)!

I agreed that the Meg is being left behind in some key aspects, such as the BMCL, battery flexibility and that there is still no dynamic on-board deco, but it's main disadvantage is the lack of penetration outside of the USA and that's a combination of how long it took to ISC gain CE, their inability to capitalise on the CE rating and the horrendous pricing compared to most other CCR's, especially those designed and built in the UK and Eurozone.

The fact that there is only one official supplier of parts in the UK and the lack of dealer support does not help ISC and is a major issue.

It's no wonder that so many UK and overseas instructors have now qualified and migrated to deliver JJ courses (to complement their other selling brands such as Inspo, Poseidon and Sentinel, and to a smaller extent ReVo).

When it came out, the only serious competition for the Meg was from the Inspiration and Ouroboros. The 'Boris is no more (although the newer Sentinel, also designed by Kevin Gurr, is still being developed built and sold by Vobster Marine Services) and the Inspiration range has now increased with various flavours of Vision including with BMCL's and on-board decompression management, but the Classic, which I also own, and was the largest sold uint by volume is now retired.

The JJ also has better local support from in EU based company, but as I've already got a fully operational Meg 2.7 with Shearwater Predator hard wired I don't see any need to change it.

I understand why you moved to the JJ, both are good units.

Tony

I luv the Meg but have sold both of mine...have been waiting for the new handset since 2010 as I have difficulty reading old primary handset.

Nail in the coffin for me was the offensively high price of the new head...no deco for another year & expected to be an extra $1000 on top.

If I could read the 2.7 handset I would still be diving the Meg but cannot justify the move to MK15.

A pity ISC didn't make a adaptor ring for the pathfinder head to fit the Meg can as an option, can't buy a pathfinder head on its own otherwise I would have made the adaptor myself........

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk