YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Night out in South Shields

6K views 63 replies 11 participants last post by  KeyLimePie 
#1 · (Edited)
Myself and Buoyant Babe are going out a saturday next month. We plan to go for something to eat then go and sample the delights of South Shields (Just tother side of the river to Newcastle - a short metro ride from the station). Date & Times etc to be arranged.

Anyone brave enough to join us is more than welcome :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Porg said:
Myself and Buoyant Babe are going out a saturday next month.

It'll be a 'Good Night With the Two Helens' - sort of like the Two Ronnies only infinitely funnier. South Shields is cheap 'n cheezy (think of the Blue Oyster Bar in Star Wars and you're on the right track) but loadza fun! Most excellent curry houses abound and I know a couple who have just opened a B&B for surfers/divers etc who could probably put you up of you wanted to stay in Shields close to the town centre.
:beer: :beer:

#3 ·
Buoyant Babe said:
Porg said:

It'll be a 'Good Night With the Two Helens' - sort of like the Two Ronnies only infinitely funnier. South Shields is cheap 'n cheezy (think of the Blue Oyster Bar in Star Wars and you're on the right track) but loadza fun! Most excellent curry houses abound and I know a couple who have just opened a B&B for surfers/divers etc who could probably put you up of you wanted to stay in Shields close to the town centre.
Yes, please let us know the date, we need to knwo when it'll be safe to go out in that area again :D

Is antifreeze in your veins and orange skin compusary in South Sheilds as it is inthe Big Market? :D:D

#5 ·
porg - suppose you have to drink like a fish instead of swimming like one now :D

keith

#8 ·
Be Afraid

As a resident of this once fine town can I apologise now for the behaviour of my fellow Sanddancers and any mention of rodeo bulls and yellow wellies should be ignored.

White socks and t-shirts are an optional dress code in the area.

Happy to provide translations when required.

Cheers

Simon

#10 ·
Buoyant Babe said:
Porg said:

I thought it was the 'Blue Oyster' in Police Academy!

#11 · (Edited)
Orange skin? Yeah, we all look like Vikky Pollard! In fact, why am I wasting my money in bars down Shields when I'd be just at home drinking Bella in the park?

I was told by a colleague that the Star Wars bar was called the Blue Oyster so soz if I got that one wrong! Anyway, get yourselves down on the 5th and you'll see what I mean (and don't worry Sandman, we won't be anywhere near the Yella Welly - that would just be too much for those not accustomed to the delights of our home town. How about the Dougie Vaults instead?).

Attachments

#14 ·
Buoyant Babe said:
How about the Dougie Vaults instead?).
The Dougie Vaults? What else have you got lined up for the visitors, the Lambton Arms then the Commando and finishing off at the Brunnie for some late night entertainment? Or is it off to Roxannes for some wet shoe dancing?

Cheers

#15 ·
Sandman said:
The Dougie Vaults? What else have you got lined up for the visitors, the Lambton Arms then the Commando and finishing off at the Brunnie for some late night entertainment? Or is it off to Roxannes for some wet shoe dancing?

Cheers
Wassamarra with Roxannes? I like sticky carpets! Still, now that the La-Di-Da, the Kizzy and the long-gone Shoreline are no more there's a sad lack of salubrious watering holes in South Shields to entertain our dear guests.

Sigh, the good old days.............. :rolleyes:

(Of course I understand the rest of you won't have a clue where we're on about and believe me, you don't wanna know!). :shade:

#16 ·
Showing your age now girl.

I was amazed when they knocked the La Strada down how small a space it stood on, seemed bigger inside. Probably a beer illusion.

South Shields has never been the same since they started turning shops into trendy bars and filling them with little kids. Where else in the country could you have a night at the bingo and then clubbing all in the same building.

You will just have to do your best with what we have left.

Good luck.

#18 ·
Date Change: The best laid plans of mice and divers.........

Ho Hum, seems like my LDS has organised a fireworks bash on Bonty Neet that clashes with the night out that Porg and I had planned for 5 November. I've spoken to Helen and she's cool with changing the date to SATURDAY 26 NOVEMBER 2005. Still South Shields, still cheap 'n cheezy, still an excellent 'neet oot' out guaranteed (Geordie translations available on request)! . Sorry if that makes it difficult for anyone who has already agreed to come - hopefully a lot more of you will still be able to make it!

Will post further details nearer the time.

Hxxx

#20 ·
Please advise

As a returning local lass - after 17 years away - would this be a good way to re-introduce myself to the local nightlife????????

Or would it be too much of a shock to my system ;)

#23 ·
Still On!

Hi All

Yes, the 26th is still on.

I propose that those of us who would like to eat first meet up for a drink in a small pub called 'The Pier' on Ocean Road, close to the curry houses between 6.30-7.30pm.

After that we can go for a curry at 7.30pm at a restaurant called the Shalimar (provided they can accommodate us, so I will need to know numbers for food soon!). There are plenty of other restaurants if there is a problem, but I'm sure the Shalimar will be okay - I know the owner and will go see him.

Those who don't want to eat first can meet up in Yates' bar in South Shields town centre from 7.00pm onwards - we curry lovers should get ther about 9-ish. All of these places are within walking distance of the Metro and public transport systems. Let me know if you want more specific directions.

Hope to see y'all soon! :D :beer: :beer: :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.