View Full Version : 40lb Explorer

TAZA
03-03-06, 02:53 PM
Looking into buying the 40lb Explorer, I do a lot of rib diving and was wondering whats its like to remove in water hanging onto a rib,360 for full system is that OK.
Thanks

Nick S
03-03-06, 02:56 PM
Quick .........Post an intro !!!!

DanE
03-03-06, 03:09 PM
Looking into buying the 40lb Explorer, I do a lot of rib diving and was wondering whats its like to remove in water hanging onto a rib,360 for full system is that OK.
Thanks

There's been loads of these (just the wing, not bp) coming up for sale second hand recently as people swap to the Evolve, so you can probably put something together pretty cheap if you use a WozPlate (www.kitfondle.co.uk).

Check the For Sale area here and at DIR-E.

As for RIB diving - I use an Explorer with twin 7s for RIB diving no problems at all. Not too hard to get out of in the water. You may piss off the people in the boat if you ask them to pull in a set of twin 12s though!

HTH
dan

03-03-06, 03:12 PM
Get these guys to give you a quote:

[email protected]

I bought two full Explorer systems from them last year and they were great.

Brian of Aquanauts
03-03-06, 03:17 PM
Or you could try me out for a quote :) free postage...

Have a look here http://www.aquanauts.co.uk/halcyon.htm

What kind of tanks will you be putting it on? Do definitely have a look at the evolve tho, Halcyon's new wing.

Bri

TAZA
03-03-06, 03:20 PM
360 Explorer full system
390 Evolve full system

TAZA
03-03-06, 03:23 PM
I have twin 12's & twin 10's

Thanks

03-03-06, 04:05 PM
For UK diving most recommend the 55lb Explorer rather than 40lb. Just a thought.

Tricky
03-03-06, 04:09 PM
For UK diving most recommend the 55lb Explorer rather than 40lb. Just a thought.Not true. According to some websites and shops the 55lb is more suitable, but those that dive the 40lb wings find them more than adequate. In fact, I've heard of quite a few people who've ditched their 55lb Explorers for 40lb Explorers or Evolves (including me - I have an Evolve and an Explorer).

RichW
03-03-06, 04:15 PM
Thanks

360 is the RRP.

As for RIB diving, I don't really find it a problem. You can either deflate the wing and pop out of the harness, remembering to keep hold of the thing. Or if you like you can reach back, grab the manifold, duck under and flip the whole thing over your head. Either works.

If you want to try one out before you comit to buying, just let me know and we'll do a try out.

Rich

Brian of Aquanauts
03-03-06, 04:19 PM
For UK diving most recommend the 55lb Explorer rather than 40lb. Just a thought.

Definitely not true, all the DIR instructors i know say to go for the 40 for 12s and the 55 for 15s.

I'd second this and everyone in our club dives explorer 40s, evolve 40s or agir 38s on their twin 12s. Oh except Marco, he dives a 55 on his twin 12s but wishes he bought a 40, as the 55 is harder to dump and wraps alot higher round his cylinders.

Re what kind of cylinders specifically which brand? Faber, Eurocylinder, Luxfer, Heiser???

If Faber I'd go for the evolve or agir brokk wing, they're easier to trim out imho.

If Euro or Heisers then any are fine.

dublinbay
03-03-06, 04:32 PM
Agir 38lb wing 3mm ss bp £335.00 inc pp

03-03-06, 04:43 PM
Will the 40 still give you sufficient lift with stages?

Even Halcyon recommend the 55 for twin steel cylinders. They only recommend the 40 for Aluminium cylinders.

The Explorer wings can be mated with either the Halcyon hard-coated aluminum or six pound stainless steel backplate, providing divers with a variety of weighting solutions. The 40 lbs. Explorer wings provide a minimalist approach to buoyancy where double aluminum 80s and a wetsuit are the rig of choice. The widely popular 55 lbs. Explorer wings are ideally suited for use with situations requiring additional lift such as with heavy double steel tanks.

Not saying you are wrong just differs from what I have read and been told before.

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/explorer.shtml

dublinbay
03-03-06, 04:56 PM
38/40 is good for 12`s with ali stages. I use 55 with my 18`s..................

Tricky
03-03-06, 05:10 PM
I believe Gledders has used her Evolve with more than 4 stages :eek:

RichW
03-03-06, 05:15 PM
Will the 40 still give you sufficient lift with stages?

Even Halcyon recommend the 55 for twin steel cylinders. They only recommend the 40 for Aluminium cylinders.

Not saying you are wrong just differs from what I have read and been told before.

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/explorer.shtml

OK, Halcyon recommend the 55 for HEAVY steel cylinders. UK/Europoean cylinders are NOT heavy. This statement refers to US spec 104's.

For 12L setups, the 40 is ample in most applications.

Rich

JAG
03-03-06, 07:35 PM
Not true. According to some websites and shops the 55lb is more suitable, but those that dive the 40lb wings find them more than adequate. In fact, I've heard of quite a few people who've ditched their 55lb Explorers for 40lb Explorers or Evolves (including me - I have an Evolve and an Explorer).
I was misled by UE, they said I needed a 55 for twin 12's fabers and a 7L Ali stage. Sold the 55 and bought a 40 and has more than adequate lift for same rig. Will possibly try 2 stages with it at the weekend to see how it handles them.

03-03-06, 08:25 PM
OK, Halcyon recommend the 55 for HEAVY steel cylinders. UK/Europoean cylinders are NOT heavy. This statement refers to US spec 104's.

Rich
Thanks for clarification

KeyLimePie
13-03-06, 07:31 PM
Thanks

Taza,

I now dive an evolve - never dived an explorer, but I know people that have dived both and claim it is easier to get out of an evolve when rib diving - might be worth thinking about.

Dave

TAZA
15-03-06, 07:56 PM
How come it is easier to get out of the evolve, is it a different harness.
Just like to thank all feedback.

KeyLimePie
15-03-06, 10:43 PM
The evolve is a narrower wing than the explorer, so it's easier to get your arms out when it is inflated.

CALLISTO
16-03-06, 12:47 AM
Taza, I feel Iam repeating myself again, Look at Direxplorers ..Look in the Kit equipment forum ..again ...Or Put in a search for Evolve ..the info you require is in there
I'm starting to feel this is a wind up !!!!!!

TAZA
16-03-06, 05:13 PM
Hi Collisto
Not a wind at all,my first post was about Explorer,then had loads of advice on buying the Evolve,so my head is in bits, Evolve or Explorer,just looking at all the options and advice.
Thanks to all who have replied.

Brian of Aquanauts
16-03-06, 05:44 PM
Hey Taza,

As someone earlier said quite a few out there have swapped or are swapping their explorers for evolves. Some are just keeping their explorers. As a dealer i haven't sold a single explorer since the evolve came out, and i've sold lots of evo's :D ... so the evolve at the moment is very much preferred.

It is a nice wing and is apparently easier to dump using the rear valve as there is better air flow round the cell (from what i've heard).

If you search the boards you'll find the following own one:
Gledders
Daz
Martin B
KeyLimePie
QBU
John B
Winnie
Wilbo
Seydiltz
PfcAJ
Rick/Frogman & a few others

I have only heard one real negative, and that is when moving your set around, you have to be careful not to drag the bottom of your wing. Also the hose routing is slightly different. Everyone i know using one seems to like it very much.

I'd get an evolve myself if i didn't have some very hard courses coming up, but i'll be getting an evo once they're out the way and i've got some time to get used to a new wing :)

Hope that helps,

bri

16-03-06, 07:44 PM
Hey Taza,

As someone earlier said quite a few out there have swapped or are swapping their explorers for evolves. Some are just keeping their explorers. As a dealer i haven't sold a single explorer since the evolve came out, and i've sold lots of evo's :D ... so the evolve at the moment is very much preferred.

It is a nice wing and is apparently easier to dump using the rear valve as there is better air flow round the cell (from what i've heard).

If you search the boards you'll find the following own one:

I have only heard one real negative, and that is when moving your set around, you have to be careful not to drag the bottom of your wing. Also the hose routing is slightly different. Everyone i know using one seems to like it very much.

I'd get an evolve myself if i didn't have some very hard courses coming up, but i'll be getting an evo once they're out the way and i've got some time to get used to a new wing :)

Hope that helps,

briEh? I didn't think the UK version of the Evolve was available yet, Brian?

I got the opportunity to try a dive on an Evolve recently thanks to Daz. He'd never dived an Explorer so it seemed like a perfect opportunity to play 'swapsies' to see which we preferred. I've always found the Explorer a very stable wing to dive and have never had a problem achieving good trim (if I don't mind saying myself) and dumping gas from the Explorer's conventional U-shaped bladder. As a result, I think I found the Evolve less of a revelation than some.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it but the problem for me is that I'm already very comfortable on the Explorer, having dived one for a couple of years now. Like you, I'd probably rush out and buy an Evolve if I didn't already own an Explorer... damn Halcyon for making such a bloody good wing in the first place! lol

Brian of Aquanauts
17-03-06, 01:18 PM
Eh? I didn't think the UK version of the Evolve was available yet, Brian?

Hey Jase,

The CE marked, UK version Evolve has been available since the start of January... I only found out when i took a visit to see Adam and gang in Portland a few weeks later. It's probably the best selling wing we've got.

B

Kieran Hatton
17-03-06, 02:49 PM
Don't dive an evolve but have used Explorers before. You have to ask yourself how often you change equipment? not very often I'm guessing so the manufactures have to come up with somthing new to keep you spending. Not saying it's not a good bit of kit but I doubt they have reinvented the wheel.

[Glad I got that off my chest.]

I personally would save my money and go diving [since I already have a wing]. Taza if you don't already own a wing you will probably be perfectly happy with whatever you buy. I use a Eclipse for single tank diving and it's great but you do have to becareful not to drag the bottom of the wing when moving around [fine on a single probably more difficult on a twinset].

17-03-06, 04:48 PM
Hey Jase,

The CE marked, UK version Evolve has been available since the start of January... I only found out when i took a visit to see Adam and gang in Portland a few weeks later. It's probably the best selling wing we've got.

BHehe. Nice of 'em to let us know, eh! ;)

peterdevlin
07-06-06, 04:18 PM
There's been loads of these (just the wing, not bp) coming up for sale second hand recently as people swap to the Evolve, so you can probably put something together pretty cheap if you use a WozPlate
So what is the Evolve?

Ciao,
Peter

07-06-06, 04:28 PM
So what is the Evolve?

Ciao,
Peter

Halcyon: DIR Dive Systems (http://www.halcyon.net/)

try this

peterdevlin
07-06-06, 04:40 PM
Halcyon: DIR Dive Systems (http://www.halcyon.net/)

try this
Many thanks .... looks very good .... probably not so good for Explorer resale ;-(

IanW
07-06-06, 04:52 PM
Personally I cannot see what all the fuss is about with the Evolve - I honestly think that it's popularity owes more to fad and fashion than any genuine benefit. And yes, before you ask, I have dived an Evolve but was left on both occasions with this nagging 'what's all the fuss about?' feeling. Even when diving with multiple stage cylinders (the configuration with which you're supposed to get maximum benefit from the Evolve' dough-nut design), it didn't really feel any easier or more difficult to dive than my trusty old 40lb Explorer.

The other thing that I noticed about the Evolve was the material which is definately *thinner* than that used on the Explorer. My Explorer has taken some serious punishment over the years and I'm honestly not convinced that the Evolve would have lasted quite so well! Just compare the two side by side - the material used to make the Explorer wings is definately a lot thicker!

The other thing that I really didn't like about the Evolve wing was how high it is at the top. Whilst this does aid gas migration, it also means that the wing gets in the way of the first stage hoses which can be a real pain in the arse! The Evolve doesn't work particularly well with Fabers either - whilst it was the perfect shape and size on my Heisers, my mate (who I borrowed the wing from) has Fabers and he has to be *very* careful not to rip the arse of the wing when he's kitting up due to the shorter length of the Faber cylinders.

Personally I think that a lot of the people who are rushing out to buy the Evolve are doing so out of fad and fashion which is why people like Aquanauts are selling so many. Most of the guys I dive with, though, are less convinced and are sticking with their Explorers. After all, why fix something that aint broken? I have absolutely no problem achieving good trim with my Explorer and dumping gas from the wing is easy so why bother changing? I suspect sales of the Explorer will go back up again once this current 'fad' wears off...

Just my 5c worth...

Little Pete
08-06-06, 12:29 PM
I think Ian has some very good points.

If you're after very fine adjustments of very good trim it can be a nice addition I'm told. Rich Walker changed and found he could hold perfect trim without wiggling his fins at all (he used to do it a touch with the Explorer). But he admitted that it was something only he really noticed.

08-06-06, 02:57 PM
I think Ian has some very good points.

If you're after very fine adjustments of very good trim it can be a nice addition I'm told. Rich Walker changed and found he could hold perfect trim without wiggling his fins at all (he used to do it a touch with the Explorer). But he admitted that it was something only he really noticed.RichW had 'busy feet'?!!! Surely not? ;)

divingniknaks
08-06-06, 03:43 PM
RichW had 'busy feet'?!!! Surely not? ;)

Heresy, heresy I say ! I will not have that slur cast on such a fine man.

Now about that reval :D

GLOC
08-06-06, 05:10 PM
Now about that reval :D
It's Gledders that loves chocolate....Oh you mean re-eval....? I think you will need more that a small packet of chocolates :)

08-06-06, 09:31 PM
Heresy, heresy I say ! I will not have that slur cast on such a fine man.

Now about that reval :DLOL! Always worth a try, eh Phil! ;)

northnottsdiver
17-10-07, 02:15 PM

Rich

I have just started to get some kit together after a long break from diving and I followed the same recommendation from the Halcyon site and bought a 55 explorer. After speaking to a few guys (thanks Howard!) and searching the threads on YD it would appear that the 40 evolve is the way to go with the euro 12's.

Should I sell the 55 and get a 40 or just put up with the bigger size? I am looking towards DIR so I would like to get things right now.

Thanks

Anthony

17-10-07, 03:12 PM
I have just started to get some kit together after a long break from diving and I followed the same recommendation from the Halcyon site and bought a 55 explorer. After speaking to a few guys (thanks Howard!) and searching the threads on YD it would appear that the 40 evolve is the way to go with the euro 12's.

Should I sell the 55 and get a 40 or just put up with the bigger size? I am looking towards DIR so I would like to get things right now.

Thanks

AnthonyAs Rich said, the 55lb wing is really more suitable for heavy steel cylinders. Euro/Heiser cylinders are quite skinny too - especially compared to heavy US 104s - so the wing tends to 'wrap and flap' alot more than it does on, say, a set of Fabers. Personally I would recommend you move the 55lb Explorer on if you intend to dive Euro cylinders - the Evolve is far more suitable to this configuration. You'll find that the Evolve will be far more comfortable and is much easier to trim out and dump gas from. If you're going for Fabers, though, the 55lb Explorer is still a very useable wing with these cylinders.

My vote definately goes to the Evolve - a splendid peice of kit! :)

Rob Dobson
17-10-07, 03:20 PM

I would certainly look to change the 55lb out for 40lb but there are many options both in terms of design (donut Vs horseshoe) and manufacturer (Frog, DSS, Dive Rite etc).

Personally I use the Frog Midnight with 12L Heisers with Ali stages and it is a very nice wing. The 40lb Evolve is nice too but I personally prefer the trim of the Frog.

Try as many as you can and see which you prefer.

Mystery Dive bum
19-10-07, 07:46 AM
Another vote here for the Frog midnight.
I use it with Euro cylinders.

My Halcyon Explorer 40 is up for sale if you want to save a bit of cash.

Neil