YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Hi!

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Driftwood 
#1 ·
Imported post

Hello

No, technically I'm not really in the Scottish branch. But fortunately for me (probably unfortunately for you lot) luck would have it I got landed on a day boat in the Red Sea with 'the Gavster' and 'Fi', who started chatting (among other things) about a bunch of divers who had started a web site up and met up etc. etc.. So, here I am, a month later - ish, and finally got round to joining.

[Fi and Gavster - if you don't remember me - we were the one's who saw the whale shark on the first day of the safari (ha), and I fell asleep on the last night in the Camel Bar!).

Anyway, to introduce myself, I am BSAC trained, have done about 250 ish dives, 95% in the UK. I am based in York, so we do a load of RIB based diving off the east coast - mainly the Farnes, South Shields, Whitby, occasionally St. Abbs, etc. We tend to do 20-40m wrecks.

Looking forward to meeting up and chatting with some of you soon.

Cheers

Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
Imported post

Hi Matt - welcome aboard. Thanks for the introduction info - feel free to invite any other diver mates you have to the YD family. You'll find divers of all abilities and training associations here from PADI to TDI trimix instructors. Any questions, feel free to ask any of the administrators or moderators.

Regards

#3 ·
Imported post

Hey Matt,

Glad you could make it. Fi and Gav will be pleased to see that you remembered and came along. No doubt they'll be here shortly to say hi.

Look forward to your posts and getting wet with the team soon.

Cheers and dive safe,

#5 ·
Imported post

Hey Milky,

glad to have you on board.

Steve is absolutely right, I'm about 15 mins away frm York in Boston Spa, about 2 mins the other side of Taddy from you.

If you fancy hooking up some time just let me know.

Look forward to diving with you sometime.

Cheers

#6 ·
Imported post

Matt,

Excellent mate - I was talking about you and Judy to some of the board members. Welcome aboard you skinny-malinky as they say up here.

Boys and girls - Matt and Judy are dleightful and will be a great asset to YD. They have their own rib !!!!

I'm such a a sneak !!!

#8 ·
Imported post

A RIB!!  Welcome, lovely to have you with us.  Please feel free to ask any questions, I'm sure you'll get a load of varied and very helpful answers.  Dive safely.

#9 ·
Imported post

I had been intending to ask if we had any RIB owners on YD, thought we could orgnize our own REDS style scheme? I'm 'ok' with reading a chart, having been involved in a few other wreck hunts, any RYA dayskippers or Yachtmasters etc out there?
Regards
Steve W
(PS Drifty, I'll see your RYA PBII qual and raise you one RYA VHF user licence ;)    sadly, haven't had much practice boat handling recently

(Edited by Steve W at 1:19 pm on Oct. 21, 2002)

#14 ·
Imported post

Excellent to see you aboard Matt.  Please say to Judy for me.  Loved your photos (particularly the one of the whale shark you lucky, lucky devils you!). :wavey:

Offer still stands of a bed for the night if you fancy a wee trip north of the border and perhaps a wee visit (weather and winds permitting) to St Abbs (otherwise referred to as Dive Site X).

Fi

#15 ·
Imported post

Hi all

Fi - Will definitely try and make it back up to see you sometime soon - let us know when you start diving next year and we will see what we can do... (Would come this year but off to the Maldives in two weeks - bummer!).

And yes, both our ribs have licensed radios (and we even have the purple bit of paper that lets us use it).

I was involved in a lot of the research for the Yorkshire REDS last year - unfortunately the scheme ended up turning into a bit of a mess for various reasons - and only a handful of people actually dived the wreck. We are still trying to get out to the wreck to dive it. It's a bit of a hike in a rib though - 12 miles of Flamborough Head.

Matt

#16 ·
Imported post

Re Yorks REDS, not unlike the NE version then ;) Starts of as a lot of folk sounding very keen and attending the first meetings, then drops away to a few, usually already established small cliques who just go off to do their own thing. Perhaps having Ron on board could stimulate some interesting expeditions in the future?
Regards
Steve W

#17 ·
Imported post

Steve

My brother and myself were at the Divewise 2002 at Durham earlierr in the year and listened to thr REDS presentation and decided we'd like to get involved but like most things in life didn't follow it up, I've noticed you mention it a few times on the board now and wouldn't if you fancy having a chat and filling me in on how to get involved.

If you're up for that send me a mail matey and with your phone number or something and I'll ring you.

Dave

#18 ·
Imported post

Steve

Sounds like NE REDS had similar problems to ours (we also nearly called out the RNLI!). It was very difficult to get people to agree on a date, and then make it - also availability of boats was a major issue. If I was doing a wreck that far offshore again I would aim to get at least 8 committed people involved, so as soon as the weather looks good you can go for it with two RIBS.

It would definitely be good to get Ron involved. Shipwrecks of the NE Coast is our bible!

Matt

#19 ·
Imported post

Sounds about right, oh "he of the white chocolate fame".
Masses of faffing and very little actual diving ;)
Hence my thoughts about doing a "YD special",

Probably the most productive trip was the one organized by the NE REDS organizer, but just mainly for the folk from my old club. They went way way way up to the north of Scotland, found an intact virgin wreck in 3 metres - portholes and everything!

Of course, not everyone has two days to spare for travelling (thats two days either side of the diving!) Regards
Steve

#20 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Driftwood on 2:16 pm on Oct. 21, 2002
Your RCA Short-Range licence is only valid for one year!

Best check the expiration date!
<span =''>

I've checked and there isn't an expiration date on mine, perhaps its different to yours, mine is the "restricted certificate of competence in radio telephony - VHF only" issued by RYA on behalf of RCA. I got this before GMDSS came into being so may be a bit out of date.
Regards
Steve

PS sorry bout the phone mix up, I wish I could claim "I was very very drunk at the time" unfortunately I was just being dim, Doh!

#21 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Steve W on 8:43 am on Oct. 23, 2002[brPS sorry bout the phone mix up, I wish I could claim "I was very very drunk at the time" unfortunately I was just being dim, Doh!
<span =''>That's okay, I love having ammo given to me to fire at people....

Really, mixing Drifty up with Dalesdiver..... :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.