View Full Version : A Wing and a Budget

Bunsen
04-07-06, 11:59 AM
I'm looking to buy a Wing to go with my recently acquired Twin 12's. I have almost committed to buying Diverite Rec Wing but wondered if anyone has tested the Apeks WTX range of wings? Anyone?

Thanks
Bunsen

Mark Sydenham
04-07-06, 01:37 PM
Hi,
I dive 2x12's with a DiveRite Recwing and I'm quite happy with it.
Not DIR as it comes, but can be modified to meet required spec if required. e.g. I've removed the bungee (as I never use it with singles.) But you'd also need to shorten the inflator hose and replace the pull dump with a plain elbow.

I've not seen the Apex WTX wings in the flesh yet but I would think they probably over do it on the lift a bit. I'd have thought 60 & 80lbs is way too much for twin steel tanks even with stages. Unless you 've got twin 20's!!
Even the 51lbs of lift from the recwing is more than I've ever needed!
It's well made gives good trim in the water and is good VFM in my opinion.

I am wondering myself about the WTX3 single wing though?- seems excellent for occasional use, holidays & cheap (if not very DIR) (not that that really matters to me at present.! :) )

Cheers,
Mark.

divingniknaks
04-07-06, 02:17 PM
Thats too much lift and therefore too much size on the WTX IMHO.

You need a wing which has lift enough, 40lbs or thereabouts, for twin 12's and a stage is fine. But you also dont want something which will look like a "badly packed kebab" and create drag etc.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

tonytheteal
04-07-06, 02:25 PM
Thats too much lift and therefore too much size on the WTX IMHO.

You need a wing which has lift enough, 40lbs or thereabouts, for twin 12's and a stage is fine. But you also dont want something which will look like a "badly packed kebab" and create drag etc.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Since this is supposed to be the DIR forum, why don't you tell him a reasonably priced DIR-compliant alternative ;) go on get whoring!

desertrat
04-07-06, 10:44 PM
I'm looking to buy a Wing to go with my recently acquired Twin 12's. I have almost committed to buying Diverite Rec Wing but wondered if anyone has tested the Apeks WTX range of wings? Anyone?

Thanks
Bunsen

As you asked this question in the DIR forum then a better bet if your on a budget may be the Dive Rite Classic Wing. Its designed specifically for twin's diving (can't be used for singles) and is very close to being DIR compliant from the off. Just replace the pull dump and remove the rear toggle and away you go.

I used to dive one of these before moving to a DIRzone wing and it was very nice.

divingniknaks
04-07-06, 10:59 PM
Since this is supposed to be the DIR forum, why don't you tell him a reasonably priced DIR-compliant alternative ;) go on get whoring!

What do you think PM's are for J ? :D

I dont drop my drawers in public for just anyone, (yeah right)

Rob, You're fired ! Shame on you !

Cheers