YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Taba & Kenya

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Scubamuppet 
#1 ·
Imported post

Bren suggested you might be interested in diving in Taba and Kenya, so here goes....
Taba is just over the border (Isreal and Egypt) from Eilat and, from what I saw, consists of a very large, classy Hotel (the Taba Hilton) and not much more. The diving is controlled by Aquasport and they have the only boat in the area. (although this could have changed, I was there in September 2000). The monoploy makes this area very quiet compared to Eilat and there are some stunning dive sites, warm water and excellent coral and marine life; stone fish, frogfish, blue spotted rays, ..all the usual Red Sea fish. Most of the dives are 20 mtrs max and easy, that is, very little current ... great lazy diving!
Kenya is totally different! We spent most of our holiday on Diani beach, south of Mombasa...a paradise!. The diving is great fun, if a little limited. I saw only six different sites in eleven dives, but still they were all great dives! The Indian Ocean is warm but, at the time, November, the vis was not great,maybe 10 - 15 mts.and a bit silty. The dive sites are all coral reefs and most are deep, 25 - 30 mtrs, but we were getting between 45 and 55 mins bottom time. The marine life is amazing, guitar sharks, groupers as big as office desks and more green turtles than you can shake a stick at. A large pod of dolphins appeared around the boat after every dive ! Good diving but not a wrekkies place!
 Diani Beach has a barrier reef so the trip out to dive sites is an experience on its own! We dived with an outfit called Barracuda who had a base at our Hotel. Great guys (all locals)
if a little easy on the dive plans.There is another company in this area called 'Diving the Crab' who are well respected.
Kenya is a fantastic place to visit and dive, but anyone who goes MUST do the safari thing though ..amazing!

See less See more
#2 ·
Imported post

Hey Tiff,

I've never done either of these sites and they do sound tempting - if a little short of my main passion, wrecks.

Any more at home like this mate? Do post 'em if you have.

Cheers again.

#4 ·
Imported post

Tiff,
The Taba area goes a bit further down the coast - 20 mins in decrepid mini bus. There are at least two two hotels there and I believe that Aqua Sport have a set up around there. More hotels and a marina are planned. Snorkelling off the house reef at the Hyatt was good but for "real" diving we were bussed up to the border. The boat did anchor off the hotel for a couple of dives though.

#5 ·
Imported post

Were you staying in Taba, Ritchie?  We were  in Eilat and were taken by minibus to the border by Aquasport, we then walked through customs etc to the dive centre.I have heard that they now do packages to Taba and it's likely to become a good alternative to resorts further south. Hope it doesn't get overdived like Eilat and some of the other areas in the Red Sea.

#6 ·
Imported post

Tiff,
We were at the Hyatt Regency.
Very nice indeed. Absolutely nothing (April 01) except hotel, the odd builder and desert - a far cry from what we saw of Eilat. The only downside was the border crossing bith ways. You will have seen it but add suiitcases etc after the flight and a BIG sense of humour is essential.

The diving was OK, not as good as Sharm but then again there were fewer people. There was a lot of physical damage to coral and because of the closeness of all the borders at the head of the gulf the range of possibilities is limited. Lots of guns around!

#7 ·
Imported post

Dead right Richie, the trip through the border is fun, they checked all our gear going into Egypt and checked (searched) all of it coming back about six hours later,and we did this trip 3 times! Mind you, Isreal is surrounded by countries who hate her! If I sound impressed with the diving in Taba, bear in mind that it was my first time diving abroad, I had recently qualified in Caperwray in March,  I still haven't been to Sharm etc. but I will.....(eventually)

#8 ·
Imported post

Thanks Tiff despite the time delay from when you posted the info on Taba  , I have only just thought of looking to see if anybody has been there via YD , as still undecided with Taba or El Gouna . Though Taba sounds un spoilt at present whilst El Gouna is continuing it's expansion , so Taba it is then.
Thanks but any more info  

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.