View Full Version : Halcyon Explorer vs. Evolve

Philippe
14-09-06, 11:57 AM
Hello guys.

At this time I have a double 7 litres tanksystem with a diverite classic wing. This wing is to big....so I like to replace it through a 40lbs wing from Halcyon.

Now what is in your opinion the best...the Explorer, or the Evolve system?

vid
14-09-06, 12:04 PM
Hello guys.

At this time I have a double 7 litres tanksystem with a diverite classic wing. This wing is to big....so I like to replace it through a 40lbs wing from Halcyon.

without answering your question over which is best (because they're different tools)

the evolve will be too long for your twin 7's

some divers who have bought the evolve find it too long for faber twin 12's and have therefore switched to heisser or euro 12 L cylinders instead

personally, i find the length ok for my 12's

vid

ahar
14-09-06, 12:50 PM
Garf on this board changed from a Explorer to an Evolve and I seem to remember him saying that it did make dumping easier.

I know that with my explorer, because of the horseshoe design you might have to wiggle a bit to dump air when there is not much in it. The evolve looks to help with that issue as it is a doughnut shape and air can migrate easier from one side to another independent of orientation.

As for twin 7s, if the dive rite is too big you may find the evolve is as well. I'd certainly try it with your 7s first if possible.

neilh
14-09-06, 01:21 PM
Garf on this board changed from a Explorer to an Evolve and I seem to remember him saying that it did make dumping easier.

Same here and I also found it made it easier to dump - but to be honest the Explorer wasn't a complete nightmare, it's just the Evolve is slightly easier.

As for twin 7s, if the dive rite is too big you may find the evolve is as well. I'd certainly try it with your 7s first if possible.

I'd definitely check that - it's long on Faber 12s (but nice on Heiser/ECS) but I'm ok with it so far (no punctures yet!). I can imagine it being a bit too big for 7s.

milldog
14-09-06, 01:28 PM
I had the Explorer first and then moved to the Evolve, it is longer on the Faber 12's but a lot nicer to dive with.

As for the 7's i wouldnt know but if your near Brian at aquanauts i'm sure he can get you a try dive with both.

Graham

Clare
14-09-06, 03:05 PM
Hi. From experience of diving twin 7s the Explorer is frankly too wide for them even on a wide manifold - it wraps too much and becomes hard to dump.

The Evolve will be slightly long but as long as you can be careful when you move the set around out of the water should be OK.

Try both though if you can - as well as an Agir as, whilst I am a firm advocate of Halcyon wings, the Agir's shape is slightly better suited to 7s.

14-09-06, 03:06 PM
Hello guys.

Now what is in your opinion the best...the Explorer, or the Evolve system?Hi Philippe

I own a number of Halcyon wings and I have to say that I still love the Explorer despite also owning a 40lb Evolve. If you were diving 12s then I'd say definately go for the Evolve as its a far kinder wing to get to grips with if you're not used to diving a horseshoe-style wing like the Explorer. As someone else mentioned, you've got to get into the habit of 'rolling' your body when dumping gas out of a horseshoe-style wing - something that isn't neccessary with the Evolve as its doughnut shape makes dumping gas an absolute breeze.

That said, I'd echo what someone else on this thread mentioned - for twin 7s, the Evolve is going to be far too long which can lead to the wing being damaged if you're not careful. With that in mind, I'd say go for the Explorer 40lb although you may still find the wing too big for use with twin 7s - unless you're looking to move up to 12s eventually, you may want to go for a smaller wing. That said, the Explorer is very much a 'workhorse' wing. Before I recently got the Evolve, I've been diving an Explorer for several years and really rate them. I'd never give up my Explorer - even for the Evolve! But then I wouldn't give up my Evolve either - I'm smitten by both! :)

IanW
14-09-06, 03:24 PM
Explorer for sale, if anyone is interested....

https://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/personal-adverts/43839-halcyon-40lb-explorer-twinset-wing.html

*Floater*
18-09-06, 09:17 PM
I'm not familiar with 7L tanks, but they sound tiny. If I were to dive them I'd probably just try a wide single-tank wing first and tanks bands/manifold which place them close together.

I recently saw a cave instructor and another person use a H Pioneer 45 (5 year old model) with Luxfer 80 AL doubles (about 11L's). Of course it probably only provided about 20# of lift since most of the wing was squished under the tanks, but that's all they needed since we were in a shallow cave without stages.

Dan Wilko
20-12-06, 10:36 AM
I'm not familiar with 7L tanks, but they sound tiny.
Yes they are pretty small but they are 300bar so more gas compressed into a smaller area. (And bloody heavy for there size!!)

Justin Owen
20-12-06, 11:16 AM
i dive my twin 7 fabers with the evolve, like clare said, you just need to be careful as it is a little bit longer than the cylinders...

Mark
20-12-06, 07:29 PM
Hello guys.

Hi,

my wife has a set of double 7s. I/we have both of the wings and the Evolve would be far too long for the tanks. The 40lb Explorer is the one to get with those tanks (even that is not perfect as it is rather wide on 7s).

Best regards,

Mark.

Kuki
17-02-07, 05:26 PM
I have 2x12 300 bar and that is heavy, but I like it. I am thinking to buy 2x7 also becouse 2x12 is good if I am diving from a boat but if I am diving from a shore it is better to have 2x7. And I have Halciyon evolve and it is great. I didnt dive with explorer so I dont know the diference. My friend has 2x7 and he use wings by Red Tech 18L.