View Full Version : Halcyon Cam Strap Buckles

duc996bp
18-10-06, 10:39 AM
I have just bought a Eclipse Wing System with weighted STA.

Great quality however is there anyone else out there that does not like the way the Cam S/S buckles grind there way into your cylinder when closing them.

I use steel cylinders so prefer the paint to stay on the cylinder to protect it from rusting!!

Same goes for the STA, it has 2 long edges which again will dig into the cylinder.

Any thoughts?

18-10-06, 11:11 AM
I have just bought a Eclipse Wing System with weighted STA.

Great quality however is there anyone else out there that does not like the way the Cam S/S buckles grind there way into your cylinder when closing them.

I use steel cylinders so prefer the paint to stay on the cylinder to protect it from rusting!!

Same goes for the STA, it has 2 long edges which again will dig into the cylinder.

Any thoughts?I've got two words for you...

TANK MESH

duc996bp
18-10-06, 11:27 AM
Yes was thinking tha same just not a great fan of the stuff.

RichW
18-10-06, 11:35 AM
Back off the tension in the strap a little before you push the cam over. This will still result in a plenty tight grip when the cam is set, but reduce the amount that the cam pushes on the cylinder.

Make sure you check it's tight enough though.

Rich

divingniknaks
18-10-06, 11:45 AM
I've got two words for you...

I've just got one !

DIRZONE.

Sorry Rich :D

And
18-10-06, 11:47 AM
TANK MESH

:eek:

duc996bp
18-10-06, 11:53 AM
With a bit of thought they could of made it better using some webbing.

dlegros
18-10-06, 12:31 PM
I've just got one !

DIRZONE.

Sorry Rich :D

Should have expected the wh0redar to beat me to it, but that's what I was going to say.

The DIRZone straps have "paint protectors" under the cam-buckle.

Dom

Little Pete
18-10-06, 03:21 PM
I actually felt something of a sense of pride in the strength of my kit when I could dent the club cylinders just by putting the strap on it.

But then I just backed off the tension a touch to get it right.

18-10-06, 05:12 PM
:eek:Hehe. Thought you'd find that a shocker! ;)

To be honest, I'm a strong believer in giving advice that's appropriate to the audience - if this guy wants to go down to the tech route, then tank mesh and other crap like that is a big no-no but for your average recreational 'splat diver', what's the harm, eh? If he's that worried about scratching his tanks then there are thousands of divers out there that use tank mesh and still manage to come back alive...

...personally I'd rather die than put it on any of my cylinders but that's beside the point. :D

[EDIT] - Just noticed that this was posted in the DIR section rather than the general diving section. In that case, ignore my original post and reply! Tank mesh is baaad, n'kay?! It's about as DIR as solo diving an Inspiration rebreather! ;)

With a bit of thought they could of made it better using some webbing.Keh?!!!

duc996bp
18-10-06, 05:45 PM
I dont think it is relevant whether I want to go down the "Tech" route or not.

All I said was with a bit of thought it could of be designed better. To intentionally damage something is different to accidentally when diving.

I take pride in my kit and if I can avoid damaging it then all the better.

18-10-06, 05:51 PM
I dont think it is relevant whether I want to go down the "Tech" route or not.

All I said was with a bit of thought it could of be designed better. To intentionally damage something is different to accidentally when diving.

I take pride in my kit and if I can avoid damaging it then all the better.Hmm, so you're saying that Halcyon has designed a product that *intentially* damages another peice of equipment? So you don't think that perhaps - as Rich and others have mentioned - you're simply *overtightening* the buckle?! It's called common sense, chap - if it's so damned tight that it's grinding metal then anyone with half a brain cell would deduce that perhaps they can losen it off just a tad without losing the strap's grip on your cylinder.

Personally I'd be very careful about making statements like the one above. I've got an Eclipse wing with the metal cam band buckles and I think they're *gorgeous*. I've never had any problems with them (or the STA) marking my cylinders. If you're that paranoid about the STA and the cam buckles marking your cylinders then as I said - stick tank mesh on your tanks. It's far from the best solution (as you could probably tell from And's reaction!) and about a million miles away from being 'DIR' but it will - in your case - solve what you perceive to be a problem...

BTW - why are you that worried about scratching your cylinders? Trust me - tanks only rust if they're left covered in moisture. If you ensure you cylinders are allowed to dry off fully and aren't stored in a very damp environment, they won't rust. And if you don't like scratches on your tanks, do yourself a favour - never go inside a wreck or take up cave diving, eh! :)

Mal Bridgeman
18-10-06, 07:13 PM
Jase
If you are like this without the Jackboots...What are you like with Jackboots on? :omg:

Mal :D

divingniknaks
18-10-06, 07:19 PM
Bardo with boots on.

Feck me whatever next.

I still say the nice protectors on the Dirzone straps are better :D

And
18-10-06, 09:21 PM
Bardo with boots on.

It makes a change from the high heels I suppose :)

Stop worrying about a few scratches on your cylinders. By the time you have had a few dive weekends with them they will be scratched anyway.

Andy

18-10-06, 09:45 PM
Jase
If you are like this without the Jackboots...What are you like with Jackboots on? :omg:

Mal :DNo one expects the spanish inquisition! :D

It makes a change from the high heels I supposeSh*t! The photos got out... ;)

HP
19-10-06, 09:42 AM
Just got off the phone with Gorgeous George who has asked me to publically distance Jason's extreme views from DIR proper. He also asked me to point out that DILLIGAF is an extreme breakaway wing of the DIR movement and its draconian views in no way represent the mainstream view of the organisation proper. He couldn't talk for long as he was busy fitting some hot pink mesh to a single 12 before decanting some of the air in it over to his YBOD in readiness for a 60m wreck dive later on. I asked him if he had any wisdom for the original poster and he said: "Tell him to get a BCD" HTH

Woz
19-10-06, 09:47 AM
Change it for an AP plastic camband. The stainless ones look nice but, as you say, are a poor design. A simple flat return on the bending would solve this problem or you can bodge it with a Nackers pad.

Personally I thing that plastic is, in this case, better for the job. Not as shiny, though. However you can [email protected] up a plastic camband as tight as you like and it won't knacker the cylinder.

Woz Camband tip: tighten it in the usual way then use the plastic buckle to "winch in" the last 1/2" or so. You can get it really really tight so it does a satisfying "click" against the cylinder.

For all those that suggest "not as loose" then you have forgotten that webbing relaxes a bit when wet so you'll end up with the cylinder coming loose, normally at a very inconvenient moment like exiting the water over sharp rocks.

19-10-06, 10:16 AM
Just got off the phone with Gorgeous George who has asked me to publically distance Jason's extreme views from DIR proper. He also asked me to point out that DILLIGAF is an extreme breakaway wing of the DIR movement and its draconian views in no way represent the mainstream view of the organisation proper. He couldn't talk for long as he was busy fitting some hot pink mesh to a single 12 before decanting some of the air in it over to his YBOD in readiness for a 60m wreck dive later on. I asked him if he had any wisdom for the original poster and he said: "Tell him to get a BCD" HTHI always said George had gone soft and this just proves it. They scoffed when I insisted they use heliox on 6m training dives and they even questioned my insistance on taking redundant scooters on long 'missions' in my backyard swimming pool. They even had the gaul to mock me when I suggested summary execution for non-believers! DIR is for pussies and this just proves it... now where did I leave those jackboots?

;)

HP
19-10-06, 06:48 PM
By the bed - they're under the miniskirt , next to the leopard skin handcuffs

20-10-06, 06:54 AM
By the bed - they're under the miniskirt , next to the leopard skin handcuffsThanks, Howard :embarassed: