YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Anyone know of any great books about diving with disabilities ?

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Roz 
#1 ·
Interested to know more so does anyone know of any great books about diving with disabilities ?

Cheers
Dave

#2 ·
David Parker said:
Interested to know more so does anyone know of any great books about diving with disabilities ?

Cheers
Dave
THE ONLY THING I CAME ACROSS WAS "SCUBA DIVING WITH DISABILITIES" ON AMAZON.COM. HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE CONTENT WOULD BE.
A GREAT GUY TO TALK TO ABOUT THE SUBJECT IS FRASER BATHGATE WHO WORKS FOR PADI AS THE ADAPTIVE TECHNIQUES ADVISOR. I DID MY IAHD INSTRUCTOR COURSE WITH HIM SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND SEE HIM REGULARLY AT PADI UPDATES.:thumbs_up:

#3 ·
''A guide for teaching scuba to divers with special needs'' by Frank Degnan.......

Despite the fact that this is a quite old edition (1998...) in my opinion this guide is a very useful ''tool'' for Handicap Guides, Instructors & Instructor Trainers, too.

Availiable from Amazon.com

#5 ·
Charles,

Taking nothing away from disabled divers, but you have just replied to 3 threads which have all gone away due to lack of posts, all bringing your friend to the fore. Wouldn't be a little bit of subtle advertising would it? ;)

Regards

#8 ·
Lets make it 7

I know the both of the chaps I mentioned and Fraser Bathgate, whats the problem with sharing a bit of information and whats the harm with promoting a couple of good instructors ?????
Would you prefer it if no one took an interest in divers with disabilities ?? Are we becomming eletist.

I feel very passionate about disability awareness and think we should all do our bit even if it is making a few positive comments on the YD forum, or is this a hate crime that offends the mighty ??

:angry: :angry:

#11 ·
Would you prefer it if no one took an interest in divers with disabilities ?? Are we becomming eletist.

I feel very passionate about disability awareness and think we should all do our bit even if it is making a few positive comments on the YD forum, or is this a hate crime that offends the mighty ??

:angry: :angry:
You are just trying to create an issue.

I did one of the very first BSAC disability awareness courses in the North West many years ago and I am very aware of some of the difficulties some divers have.

In fact I am becoming much more aware of the problems disabled divers face as I have recently undergone an operation which means at the moment I have to rely on a buddy far more than I would like.

If a new member came on the boards as Gareth said links would be removed as it is seen as free advertising and you do seem to have trawled the archives looking for something to comment on and promote your friends.

If you truly feel passionate about the subject respond to posts from your own point of view.

#9 ·
It's not that at all Charles.

If someone else posted the same number of links to the same diver over the course of an evening, then there likely would be some complaints.

A couple of posts would have been accepted, but it appears that you went through old posts looking for something to reply to, to promote your friends. That is what the comments were about.

Regards

#17 ·
Sorry I don't know of any books on disabled diving. I did the IAHD Course about three years ago with Fraser Bathgate. I know he advises many agencies, mostly behind the scenes, even though he's the first Special Adaptive Needs Course Director.

If you can get on one of these courses it's useful and an eye opener. You get practical real life solutions.

If you are going to the London International Dive Show, the Scuba Trust will be there. You could always ask them if there are any publications they would recommend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.