View Full Version : Warm water wing....

Mal Bridgeman
21-01-07, 05:11 PM
What's the current thinking on a wing for warm water single Ali 80 type diving.

I have been quite happy with my DiveRite Ali plate and Venture wing because I can use cambands on it. What I didn;t like about it was it didn't have the extra hole needed (nor space to drill one) for a pocket to stow the long hose.

So I am thinking about a new set up. I already have an Ali plate that has the relevant hole and I am now thinking about changing the wing.

I have never used an STA so what are they like? I would prefer not to have one but use cambands directly on to the plate....which seems to limit me to just the DirZone Cub wing. If I go with an STA I have a choice over Frog, Agir and Halcyon wings.

So what do you use and what's your view on the STA?

TIA
Mal

BSH
21-01-07, 05:18 PM
Mal as you know I bought one of the frog indigo set ups and I am very pleased with it, the tech pocket is also very nice as it fastens on to the backplate. Itm came complete with an STA and the whole thing is very well made with good strong cam band buckles.

I'll bring it down to Stoney in Feb if you want to take a look.

HP
21-01-07, 05:22 PM
I have a Deep Sea Supply Torus 26lb wing which doesn't need an STA. Having previously owned an Eclipse which was very good - I would say that it is significantly better. Fits a standard DIR plate with a slight mod. Incredibly streamlined and compact. Not available from Phill because its not CE marked :D

HP
21-01-07, 05:27 PM
I'll bring it next weekend for you to see Mal

Mal Bridgeman
21-01-07, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the offers ...v kind .....Mal

johnkendall
21-01-07, 08:09 PM
Hi Mal,

For single tank stuff I use my normal steel Plate, with a Halcyon Pioneer wing and STA on it. I've also used the Eclipse wings with STA's too. I'll also be having a play with a Frog single tank wing tomorrow (also with STA).

I once tried the Pioneer with built in STA, and didn't really like it, it didn't feel quite as stable as the standard STA.

If you want to have a play with any of the above, I'm sure I can sort something out for you.

HTH
John

Clare
21-01-07, 08:29 PM
So what do you use and what's your view on the STA?

I use a Halcyon eclipse with a STA.

I don't really understand why you would wish to avoid a Single Tank Adapter apart from weight issues with airlines but then get an ali one if that is a big deal. You can tuck the long hose in your belt if you don't want to use a light. :)

siltmonkey
21-01-07, 08:32 PM
I have the old Pioneer 36lb wing and I love it.

The built-in STA works fine if the cambands are tight enough.

And it's got blue side panels, and not many other people have them, which is also nice.

But if you're only thinking of changing because you want a pocket to store the long hose, why not try hog-looping? Then you won't need to change, and you'll save lots of money!

:-)

r

Conor
23-01-07, 08:25 AM
Mal, whats wrong with the trusty TPII?

Mal Bridgeman
23-01-07, 08:37 AM
Mal, whats wrong with the trusty TPII?
There's nothing wrong with it....I changed to a plate & one-piece harness config a while ago for both UK & foreign trips.

Mal

Conor
23-01-07, 08:52 AM
Using the force again then