View Full Version : DIR Diver at Capernwray Sunday 11 March

duc996bp
11-03-07, 10:52 PM
Who was the DIR diver at Capernwray using twin 12's and a Halcyon Explorer wing, you exited out of the water and put your rig on the rocks next to the water exit.

The reason I ask is it looked very neat and compact, I wondered what size it was 40 or 55.

Thanks

John

RichW
11-03-07, 11:32 PM
Who was the DIR diver at Capernwray using twin 12's and a Halcyon Explorer wing, you exited out of the water and put your rig on the rocks next to the water exit.

The reason I ask is it looked very neat and compact, I wondered what size it was 40 or 55.

Thanks

John

John,

That would have been mine. The wing is a 40lb Explorer.

Rich

duc996bp
11-03-07, 11:41 PM
Hi Rich

A very tidy setup.

Have you dived that wing with 12's and a stage bottle, if so does it give you enough lift at the surface or would the 55 be better.

malcolm smith
11-03-07, 11:43 PM
HaHa, if it had been my 55lb halcyon, it would have looked like a big manta ray wrapped round the twin 12s :-)

Once upon a time, that was the recommended wing.
Apart from flapping around, it's fine, and it's no problem to dump air from, and was once, the epitome of style :-) -----------just not as neat :-)

Cheers, Malcolm.

RichW
11-03-07, 11:55 PM
Hi Rich

A very tidy setup.

Have you dived that wing with 12's and a stage bottle, if so does it give you enough lift at the surface or would the 55 be better.

I've had several 7L stages on that wing with 12's and no surface buoyancy problems.

I've also used it on a set of 18's with 3 80cu ft stages in fresh water. It was... interesting, but manageable (lots of helium, though). I wouldn't have liked it in the sea with any sort of surface conditions.

Rich

And
12-03-07, 08:46 AM
I've also used it on a set of 18's with 3 80cu ft stages in fresh water. It was... interesting, but manageable (lots of helium, though). I wouldn't have liked it in the sea with any sort of surface conditions.

Rich

Good job you took the straw to breathe from during the surface pre dive check Rich :)

Andy

duc996bp
12-03-07, 09:35 AM
Rich

I take it from what you are saying then, diving with twin 12's with possibly a 7l stage your recommended choice of wing which gives god lift at the surface for ocean diving is a Explorer 40?

Just to extend this a little further!! - What about the Evolve 40.

Keiron
12-03-07, 09:44 AM
Rich can sell you either ;)

And
12-03-07, 09:50 AM
Rich

I take it from what you are saying then, diving with twin 12's with possibly a 7l stage your recommended choice of wing which gives god lift at the surface for ocean diving is a Explorer 40?

Hi

The Evolve is similar but is narrower and longer. Those who use it say that it is easier to dump from the rear dump and improves trim. Those who use the Explorer say that there is no problem dumping and there are many, many more things that effect trim than the wing ;).

Being longer it is possible to drag the Evolve wing on the floor and rip it (not that you should drag your gear along the floor, but it has been done). Also being longer, the long hose will need to run down the front of the wing, rather than the back, and depending on the regs and tank combination, this could cause a 'pinch'. All of this is made worse if you decide to use some twin seven's at some point.

IMHO either wing is fine for twin 12's and multiple (Aluminium) deco bottles, and there are supporters of both, but you will probably be able to find an Explorer wing for sale cheaper, as some divers will be in the process of 'upgrading'.

Andy

PS I should point out that I haven't dived the evolve, but dive with some who do, and these are my observations gleaned over that period of time.

RichW
12-03-07, 10:06 AM
Rich

Hi John,

What And said about the Evolve is right. I have both, and dive both pretty much interchangeably. The Evolve will allow trim a tiny amount better than the Explorer, but you have to have pretty good trim to start with to notice any difference.

The Evolve is slightly longer and can snag when using Faber 12's, so be wary of that.

If you wanted to have a try out on either or both systems, just give me a shout.

Rich

Foggy
12-03-07, 10:44 AM
FWIW, about 5 or 6 years ago I tried both the halcyon u- sahped wing with twins, and the doughnut shaped single tank wing.

I found that in a horizontal position, the single wing was easier to dump from. With the twin wing I had to either go slightly heads up and use the corragated hose (which Izzy didn't like me doing) or I had to roll slightly to get the last of the air to migrate to the hip dump - neither of which was particularly demanding. The doughnuts' slimmer, longer shape, and the bottom gas pathway as well as the top one, seemed to me to be a better engineered solution.

This caused me to ask why Halcyon didn't do a doughnut for twins - oh for foresight and a patent.... It seems that they thought it was a good offering too.

Cheers, Paul

Dangerous Dan
12-03-07, 10:47 AM
This caused me to ask why Halcyon didn't do a doughnut for twins - oh for foresight and a patent.... It seems that they thought it was a good offering too.

Cheers, Paul
Well Halcyon's patent (pending) hasn't done much good anyway has it

,,,Was looking for a Frog Icon but couldn't find one,,,,snigger :)

Foggy
12-03-07, 11:40 AM

H'mm the words 6 years, market and steal ...come to mind.

Also crying, split milk, water bridge under etc

Hey ho, Paul

tom
12-03-07, 11:48 AM

Doughnut twinset wings have been around for quite a while, certainly long before Halcyon brought out their offering.

Case in point being the Buddy range.