View Full Version : Warning : Halcyon wing

SML
29-05-07, 02:05 PM
Hi All

Although not a qualified DIR diver yet I currently have a DIR setup comprising of a 40lb Halcyon Explorer Wing

At the weekend the corrugated inflator hose became detached from the elbow which connects to the inner bladder and I was left with no wing inflation and the wing filled with water !!!!.

On closer inspection the plastic clamp was still attached but the hose still pulled away from the elbow as there is not much of a 'lip' on the actual hose to prevent it being pulled off.

Just a word of warning that this should be checked before jumping in.

Cheers Simon

TerryH
29-05-07, 02:07 PM
Hi All

Although not a qualified DIR diver yet I currently have a DIR setup comprising of a 40lb Halcyon Explorer Wing

At the weekend the corrugated inflator hose became detached from the elbow which connects to the inner bladder and I was left with no wing inflation and the wing filled with water !!!!.

On closer inspection the plastic clamp was still attached but the hose still pulled away from the elbow as there is not much of a 'lip' on the actual hose to prevent it being pulled off.

Cheers Simon

Not much? It was non-existent!!!

Gav
29-05-07, 02:26 PM
You may want to reconsider your signature then Simon :D

SML
29-05-07, 02:31 PM
You may want to reconsider your signature then Simon :D

Good point but you are not the first person to say that DOH :teeth:

liisa
29-05-07, 03:16 PM
the corrugated inflator hose became detached from the elbow which connects to the inner bladder

Hi Simon,

Please get in touch with either the retailer from whom you purchased the wing, or directly with Adam Clifton at Silent Planet. We have never had a wing returned with such a problem, and Halcyon in the US are particularly keen to know about any new issues that may arise with their products - as you know they are anal about quality control; they want to keep that Halcyon wing protecting divers "like a shield of steel..." :angel:

Adam;s number is 01305 826666 [email protected]

Sean
29-05-07, 03:18 PM
Hi All

Cheers Simon

This also happened to me in Egypt thankfully just after a dive

Mark Chase
29-05-07, 03:20 PM
Hi Simon,

Please get in touch with either the retailer from whom you purchased the wing, or directly with Adam Clifton at Silent Planet. We have never had a wing returned with such a problem, and Halcyon in the US are particularly keen to know about any new issues that may arise with their products - as you know they are anal about quality control; they want to keep that Halcyon wing protecting divers "like a shield of steel..." :angel:

Adam;s number is 01305 826666 [email protected]

Mind you this is not the first time its hapened on a halcyon (is it Clare;))

ATB

Mark Chase

Mal Bridgeman
29-05-07, 03:27 PM
Mind you this is not the first time its hapened on a halcyon (is it Clare;))

I think Clare's was at the inflator end.

I think Liisa's post is to be commended but the episode reinforces the need to check our equipment over periodically and get things serviced in a timely fashion, regardless of the brand.

Mal

Gary K
29-05-07, 03:39 PM
but the episode reinforces the need to check our equipment over periodically and get things serviced in a timely fashionthanks Dad ;)

tom
29-05-07, 03:52 PM
I think Liisa's post is to be commended but the episode reinforces the need to check our equipment over periodically and get things serviced in a timely fashion, regardless of the brand.

From the description, it sounds more like a design problem than lack of servicing. The H inflator assemblies don't have a cord running through the middle of the corrugated tube, do they? Certainly the H (SS) inflator I had didn't have an attachment point for one.

Agreed re Liisa's post, it's the kind of issue that certainly should be fed back to the manufacturer.

Mal Bridgeman
29-05-07, 03:52 PM
thanks Dad ;)

Sorry if you found it patronising, Gary, not everyone has as much kit as you and therefore be as familiar with maintenance requirements, but you can't argue with the sentiment.
Mal

Mark Chase
29-05-07, 04:15 PM
I think Clare's was at the inflator end.

Mal

Nahhh screw that, just get a Custom Divers like my one and kick it arround the garrage for five years, it works fine :D Baught Second hand I put five years probably 600+ hours on it and a grand total of nothing went wrong before I sold it. Total servicing cost, A squirt of silicone spray before every dive on the inflator :D

Now thats quality kit :D

ATB

Mark Chase

TerryH
29-05-07, 04:39 PM
From the description, it sounds more like a design problem than lack of servicing. The H inflator assemblies don't have a cord running through the middle of the corrugated tube, do they? Certainly the H (SS) inflator I had didn't have an attachment point for one.

Agreed re Liisa's post, it's the kind of issue that certainly should be fed back to the manufacturer.

Yep and pointed that out to SML with my Zeagle.
Even if you dont use the pull dump, the wire acts as a strain relief
mechanism.

But TBH its a design flaw, no question and IMO there were three!

1. There was no ridge or raised part on the plastic barrel of wing
attachment.
2. Nor was there a corresponding ridge moulded into the corrogated hose.
3. The clamp met solid and had no gap, which meant that there was
no way you could get enough tension on it. Might be done this way to
avoid squasing mind, but the solution is to have a thicker pipe not
weaker clip.

Mal Bridgeman
02-07-07, 11:23 AM
Feeling a little paternal on our recent trip to the Red Sea, on a rib ride out to the dive site, I noticed one of my buddies' inflator mechanisms was was beginning to part ways with the corrugated hose.

Much to the astonishment of the others on the RIB, I wipped out a cable tie from my wetnotes, zipped the inflator back on tightly, cut the end of the tie off with my trauma shears and saved the dive.

It was only a 30m poodle over a 1000m sea bed so who says you can take too much equipment ;)

Mal

P.S. A more permanent and secure repair was made using 2 cable ties on the boat after the dive.

It was a Halcyon wing and seems the problem was related to the clamp which just isn't tight enough :(

Sean
02-07-07, 12:41 PM
Feeling a little paternal on our recent trip to the Red Sea, on a rib ride out to the dive site, I noticed one of my buddies' inflator mechanisms was was beginning to part ways with the corrugated hose.

Much to the astonishment of the others on the RIB, I wipped out a cable tie from my wetnotes, zipped the inflator back on tightly, cut the end of the tie off with my trauma shears and saved the dive.

It was only a 30m poodle over a 1000m sea bed so who says you can take too much equipment ;)

Mal

P.S. A more permanent and secure repair was made using 2 cable ties on the boat after the dive.

It was a Halcyon wing and seems the problem was related to the clamp which just isn't tight enough :(

Nail on head, the clamp is crap i'm in the process of changing the complete inflator system with one that has a hose inside it. In my view this is a big flaw in this pice of kit and could end up killing someone, i was ok mine failed getting back on the boat

liisa
02-07-07, 01:56 PM
Hi Sean

Halcyon stopped using the clamp last year and the inflators on all wings are now secured with a large, stiff cable tie. If you want me to send you some, PM me with the address. (This goes for anyone else - just let me or your local Halcyon retailer (http://www.silentplanet.info/contact.htm) know and they will let you have some replacement cables).

Mark Chase
02-07-07, 02:28 PM

Mal

The morel of the tail is: if your going to buy crappy Halcyon wings make sure you take cable ties and gaffer tape with you every dive to hold them together.

Thanks for the heads up M8 :D

ATB

Mark Chase

RichieG
02-07-07, 03:55 PM
Hi Sean

Halcyon stopped using the clamp last year and the inflators on all wings are now secured with a large, stiff cable tie. If you want me to send you some, PM me with the address. (This goes for anyone else - just let me or your local Halcyon retailer (http://www.silentplanet.info/contact.htm) know and they will let you have some replacement cables).

Liisa,

How large are these cable ties? The same size as the cable tie used to secure mouth peices to regs or larger?

Ta

Richard

TerryH
02-07-07, 04:27 PM
TBH if they havnt re-engineered a moulded lip on the plastic as a stop,
a tie isnt that much better as a solution.

All you have is a clamp/tie on a smooth barrel. Sod says that will work
loose and come off. With a lip this wouldnt happen.

Madfish
02-07-07, 06:38 PM
TBH if they havnt re-engineered a moulded lip on the plastic as a stop,
a tie isnt that much better as a solution.

All you have is a clamp/tie on a smooth barrel. Sod says that will work
loose and come off. With a lip this wouldnt happen.

Ooooohhh I'm not so sure about that - Mal has very strong hands ;) ....

Di