YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Jupiter regulator

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Sandman 
#1 ·
Imported post

Hello all

I am in the market for a decent set of regs (at last!!) and lots of people have recommended the Apeks 40, particularly as we do a lot of cold-water diving throughout our Welsh winters.

However, I went to my local dive shop they didn't have any Apeks 40 in, but showed me a Northern Diver Jupiter.

They said that the Jupiter is designed by the bloke who used to design for Apeks.

Does anyone have any experience of Jupiter regs? I'd be grateful if you could advise.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i've personally never even heard of them, and since a similar post on divernet a while ago got no replies (was that you?) i'd imagine that not many other people have either.

and that can't be a good thing  

if i were you, i would look at and try out other people's regs to get a feel for them, go on unbiased advice from other divers, then buy something from an online shop like kentdiving, sds, denny diving, deep blue etc - you're likely to get a better deal and there shouldn't be any problems with servicing if you buy a common brand like apeks.

if you do buy a jupiter reg from your LDS then they may be familiar with it and happy to look after it for you, but what if you go anywhere else and need it looked at?

#3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Welshdiver,

do what Kate says and buy your APEKS regs from an online shop. Don't under any circumstances, listen to your LDS. If you want Apeks buy Apeks. Northern Diver don't even make their own regs according to their web site. They do sell Apeks regs though - ND site

Regards,

Mark.

#6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I should imagine that ND regs are like everything else they sell except for their drysuits, they import and badge them as their own, most of their stuff comes from Italy I think, like Tabata masks and so on.

And other thing don't let ND service your regs even if you buy from them.

#7 ·
Imported post

Thanks you guys.

I will go for the Apeks I think. Like Kate said, who would be able to service Jupiter regs elsewhere?

Apparently though they practically identical to Apeks!! (they certainly LOOK similar) So who knows where they come from.

It wasn't me on divernet, but I came across it when I was looking for some Jupiter opinions before I posted here.

#8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (welshdiver @ Feb. 05 2004,14:09)]I will go for the Apeks I think. Like Kate said, who would be able to service Jupiter regs elsewhere?

Apparently though they practically identical to Apeks!! (they certainly LOOK similar) So who knows where they come from.
<font color='#000080'>hmmm, bit weird

even if they are practically identical to apeks, i reckon you'd have quite a few confused people if you ever had a problem and took it into a shop!

if you can get an apeks cheaper (which i'm sure you can) then there doesn't seem to be any need to bother with a weird apeks-substitue that could cause problems in the future...

#9 ·
Imported post

If you are buying online then you can get a good deal from Malta.  My buddy bought a set of ATX 40 s (with ATX 40 octo) for about £175 and postage was free.  They are tax free over there.  Something to do with being classed as medical kit.

We were a bit unsure about buying from so far away but the saving was substantial enough to be worth it

#11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (welshdiver @ Feb. 05 2004,15:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Feb. 05 2004,14:26)]if you can get an apeks cheaper (which i'm sure you can)
Actually, the APEKS price from the LDS is £35 MORE than the Northern Diver Jupiter!!  
how much are they charging for each? i'd suspect that you can probably get apeks online cheaper....

but if these jupiters really are amazingly cheap, perhaps consider that they're trying to get rid of them?

of course they could be absolutely fine, as good as apeks - but i still think you'd be making problems for yourself owning a very obscure brand of reg.....

#14 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (daveking @ Feb. 05 2004,18:01)]there new from n/d
made in uk and atx100 equivelent
supposed to be very good but not tried one
cheers
dave
oh, ok

i stand corrected! i'd thought it might be some cheap and dodgy own-brand knock-off, but if it's new on the market maybe not.

still, it might not be a good idea to be one of the first people to own one - you'd probably want to speak to people who have had experience of them or read some reviews before buying....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.