YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

B*&^%tard leaking drysuit!

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Spike Jackson 
#1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, I learnt a lesson on saturday. Dived hodge close which was ok, nothing to write home about really, but if you're into dumped transit vans go for it. I learnt that if a drysuit inflator is sticking open, if you take the hose off (sensible precaution by me) it leaks quite a lot. So, an evening in with some screwdrivers and brute force methinks, and possibly cleaning o-rings and parts...

Just thought I'd share. You might not be going up any more when it happens, but you could get wet!  

Digs.

See less See more
#2 ·
Imported post

I'd noticed that too. One time I jumped in without the suit feed connected. Pushed the button and nothing happened apart from that wet feeling whilst being vacuum wrapped. Life can be mean sometimes.

#5 ·
Imported post

I sympathse with anyone who has a leaking dry  suit, for the last  few weeks I have been emerging from dives with a wet patch round the groin area.  What I had feared to be a weak bladder has since been confirmed as a leaking seam.  Thank God !

#7 ·
Imported post

I've got one of those Schrader Blowgun Valve and Hose set-ups so I don't get a leak when disconnecting the DS hose, but... since some bright spark include 'hose disconnection' in the new BSAC DTP, I've had several whinining trainees tell me their suit valves leak when they do this needless to say we leave this drill till the end of the dive (unless the trainee is working their ticket  
)

#12 ·
Imported post

For most drysuit inflaters, the only thing that stops water getting in is ;

1. common sense, dont push the button with the hose off
2. 2 x stem O rings. These stem O rings can easily end up with shit on them, but are dead easy to access (1 circlip, normally) and grease.

#13 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Mar. 15 2004,10:59)]I'm confused! Surely, the valve shouldn't leak unless you press the button??
John,

You are correct.

Digger's was stuck open and I pushed mine and I don't know about the rest.

Rgds
Bryan

ps: Used the Mares mitts on 3rd Jan and my hands were nice and warm. Used them on 28th Feb and had very cold first fingers but rest of hands were nice and warm.

#14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Mar. 15 2004,15:01)]Used the Mares mitts on 3rd Jan and my hands were nice and warm. Used them on 28th Feb and had very cold first fingers but rest of hands were nice and warm.
Glad to hear they work, Bryan. I can't say I've noticed any difference between my fingers myself, though.

#15 ·
Imported post

I can confirm that if you stupidly forget to connect the inflator it still only leaks when you push on it! Did this on Saturday - not big and not clever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.