View Full Version : Just Tried A Long Hose

ShaunUK
15-10-07, 11:40 AM
Hi Guys,

Went to the dive show at the weekend with some friends, even though I didn't particularly want anything, I ended up buying a 2m hose for my primary.

I had read a lot about the whole long hose topic and thought id have a go to see what its like, so yesterday went to Stoney to give it a try.

I really liked it, having the reg on the long hose ws comfortable, and when I practiced an out of air drill with my buddy Papabear I was amazed at how quick and easy it is to deploy.

Only thing is I have some questions about it all,

1) I found the necklaced regs to 'freeflow' a bit on the surface as the necklace put the reg in an upside down position, is this correct? how do you avoid this?

2) What size hose should i put the backup reg on?

3) Where do you put the primary when you are putting on your wing? I clipped mine off to the right shoulder so that the reg wouldnt be in the dirt, but i wasnt sure what to do with all that hose.

Thanks peeps,

Looking forward to getting lots of practice with this setup before doing some proper diving,

Shaun

Woz
15-10-07, 12:02 PM
1. Turn it so that in the water, the mouthpiece if facing down. Also detune the cracking pressure a bit.
2. I use a standard reg hose. No doubt there will be a "DIR" length but I use one that fits me.
3. Stuffed down some bungee. Not DIR but much more practical for the type of diving I do.

15-10-07, 12:04 PM
1) I found the necklaced regs to 'freeflow' a bit on the surface as the necklace put the reg in an upside down position, is this correct? how do you avoid this?

Adjust the sensitivity until you need to use it or simply be prepared to stop the freeflow when you jump in. (Also the servicing people setting it up correctly helps).

2) What size hose should i put the backup reg on?
If you're on twins? I have a 22" backup hose.

3) Where do you put the primary when you are putting on your wing? I clipped mine off to the right shoulder so that the reg wouldnt be in the dirt, but i wasnt sure what to do with all that hose. Exactly like you say......just loop the hose a couple of times and it should sit there nicely.

Brian of Aquanauts
15-10-07, 12:10 PM
1. I use a slightly detuned reg, with the venturi control (if it has one) set to predive.
2. I try to get everything neat and tidy, I try not to have billowing hoses so I use a 24" backup hose. The most important thing here is to make sure the bungee necklace passes the snag test. IE when you're not wearing your gear grab the reg in one hand and the bungee in the other, pull them really hard apart, and if the bungee comes off then pull tghe knots tighter, or use a cable tie and bungee. The last thing you want when you actually go to use the backup in a real Out of Gas is to find it's not there.
3. If I'm diving my single rig with no canister light, then I take a loop and stuff it my waist belt. I personally don't like the bungee thing (sorry woz) as it's too hard to put away again. When putting the gear i just leave the hose dangling, when carrying it I loop it over the tank. When it's not in my mouth the reg is always clipped to the Right Shoulder D ring.

Woz
15-10-07, 12:13 PM
If I've deployed the hose, I hog loop it afterwards rather than trying to get it back into the bungee (which would be impossible). Tuck the excess into my waist band, just as you do.

Having a 2m hose loose on the club rib is asking for someone to either stand on it or get it caught on something. Or even worst, try and pull your whole twinset in by it. Numpties. Tsk.

ShaunUK
15-10-07, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I am used the old hose from my primary for the necklaced reg, this seemed ok, but was wondering if i would be better off with a shorter hose, as im only on a single.

The regs are some new ATX 40's, they haven't been used much yet but i will have a go with detuning the backup reg, its forward to detune and backwards to make it easier to breathe right?

Many Thanks

Shaun

RichW
15-10-07, 01:03 PM
Hi Shaun,

I'm happy to go through a set-up and such like for your equipment if we can work out a time and venue. This kind of thing is often easier done in person, as it's easy to misunderstand or explain a solution properly over the internet.

I may well be at Blue Lagoon on thursday evening if that suits?

Rich

ShaunUK
15-10-07, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the offer Rich,

Unfortunatly im working away this week so i cant really make it.

I might have to see if i can do one of the DIR weekends in a few weeks or so.

Thanks again.

Shaun

RichW
15-10-07, 09:43 PM

Thanks again.

Shaun

No problem Shaun. Let me know when you're free and we'll work something out.

Rich

yazzyfooty
15-10-07, 09:59 PM

Thanks again.

Shaun

Shaun
The next DIR exploration day is on the 10th November at Capernwray. I went to the one earlier this year and found it really informative so I want to go again to learn more.

HP
15-10-07, 11:03 PM
Sounds picky - but if you're going to breath the long hose on your primary reg - 2m is too short - the correct length is 210cm / 7'. 200cm pulls and is a bit too short as I found out when I bought the wrong length by mistake a while back. HTH