YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

for the bikers

2K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  skener 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Imported post

dear me! if i possesed a pan euro i certainly wouldnt admit it! i thought they were all of the puff variety i was led to believe that homosexual bike couriers use them as there a bit pink like!! almost as bad as a hardly-goin-no-where-son.

if its not green its not mean.

(Edited by nitrox at 5:57 pm on Nov. 21, 2002)

#9 ·
Imported post

no! never rode a pan euro as there not exactly my kind of bike as im sure you have gathered.

as for 27mph on the twisty bits! .... you obviously ride with amateurs.

did ya do the nec show?

regards

nitrox

#15 ·
Imported post

Just finished taken a frame off a GSXF and replacing it as the yoke have been pushed backwards, sideways and in! Missus is now pissed off as her K-reg bike is going to become an F-reg!

Dontcha just love the DVLA.

Tip to anyone attempting the same - get the engine supported evenly at least a foot off the ground.

#16 ·
Imported post

Drift,if the bike's not been declared written off, why don't you just change the chassis no.on the log book(for the F plated one),that should let you keep the K plate.
Matt,I'll ride the things whatever the weather but I don't like the snow!I liked Big Stephs point re.little bikes.I used to terrorize bigger bikes on the roads around Rivvy Barn and the Trough of Bowland on a tuned RD200.It was priceless to see bigger,mega bucks sports bikes unable to use their power etc.My mates had big bikes too,CBX thou,GSX 6 funnily enough etc.but all had tiddlers such as RD250/400'S,LC80(!)etc.and pound for pound had more fun on them,mainly baiting bigger stuff on twisties.I can smell the haze of hot 2 stroke now!Take care,Hobby.

#17 ·
Imported post

Hobby,

It's the DVLA's bollocks. The V5 (and thus reg plate) stay with the frame, not the engine regardless. Therefore, it is seen that we have written off the old bike (K) and put a new engine et al in the F-plater.

We cannot keep the old reg as it is tied to the (now scrapped) K-reg frame and will become inactive. We have to change the engine number connected to the F-plater with the DVLA - that is of course assuming that the F-plater has not been scapped, or if it has it's still within the grace period when you can "ressurect" the number - if not, it's gonna be a Q-plater

I'll let you know what happens at the VRO tomorrow.

Silly until you think of it in the context of a car there the frame (chassis) is the major componenet

#18 ·
Imported post

That is indeed mate...bollocks.I too "presumed"wrongly that the "bike"still retained it's ID even with a change of the chassis/frame unit.I mean on cars but especially bikes, engines get can changed for fun as you knowand it does'nt affect the reg.I would have thought that a repair to a vehicle in this case needing a replacement frame would result in no more than the "new"chassis no.on the log book.Working on that theory,if I creamed a 3yr old bike for example and it needed only a new frame(lets say all it did was twist the rear subframes)then a new frame,via the dealer on the insurance should resultin my bike having a new reg suffix - it is after all a new frame.It does'nt work like this though I know,but why?Commiserations Drift,what can I say?Hobby.

#19 ·
Imported post

matt,

not unless its dry, my ogg's never seen water and is still in showroom condition, apart from............ nah! the lists to long! lets just say its rather customized, just dont tell bennets eh!

regards
nitrox

#20 ·
Imported post

Hobby
I know exactly where you are coming from I used to terrorise the big woozies on my old C15 (oh that should confuse a few). Now I have the big lump I get blown off in London by all them sodding little buggers.
Trox, dont know what you're missing bloke, get an old Jap bike and a couple of original tyres, makes speedway look easy, at least one wheel would grip!
Just a piece of tyre law here chaps a Z rated tyre cannot be repaired (Legally) which is nice cos my £140 5 wk old tyre just got punctured (and is now scrap) and replaced, sigh!!
Hobby, The reason the frame/log stay together was to try and stop thieving/ringing bastards I believe.
Steph, know what you mean about the snow, we dont get a lot down here but when we do I shudder. Virgin stuff is ok, but it doesnt last that long down South (about 2 mins with our sodding traffic).
Safe riding/diving all
Matt

#21 ·
Imported post

nah!! why would i in hells name want a crappy old jap bike? ive got a nice shiney newish fanny dampner and thats the way its gonna stay!

hobby! just out a intrest where dya hail from? as you have made a few refs to some of my childhood haunts! just wondering.

as for virgin snow matt! i know what you mean i dont like mine cut either! snnnfff!

regards
nitrox

(Edited by nitrox at 7:05 pm on Nov. 26, 2002)

#22 ·
Imported post

Nitrox,I grew up in Haslingden, Rossendale which left me ideally placed to do Rivington Barn etc or over to Kirkby Lonsdale via the twisties on a weekend.I now live on the Manchester/Cheshire border at Cadishead.
Matt.C15....Jesus what did you do to it,my Honda SS50(albeit with a C70 top end)used to leave one of those that a local loony had.Was'nt the Spitfire a boy racer version?

#23 ·
Imported post

Hobby
it was the warm version C15 SS80, bigger carb etc, trouble is the top end was a bit weak in std. trim so it died if you gunned it, which I did then replaced it with a wibbly wobbly CD175 that I used to drive like a loony, so I dont think it was the bike more the rider. Great fun in London as you didnt need to get above about 40 and as you know any 2 wheeler is quick to that speed, even a bloody moped, I know cos they keep burning me off like annoying insects but the ST does get to 140 a bit quicker, abroad only obviously.
Matt

#24 ·
Imported post

CD175
? Man's bike!Anybody who can kill one of those must surely rate as a Chief Luddite.Bet your weekends were boring having nothing to fix after the Beesa!I had a couple and one as a field bike,it just kept going.It was as usual more akin to a pogo stick on speed handling wise.I wish I had one now.

#25 ·
Imported post

I started in the 70's with a yam 80, then a BSA C15 SS250.  The CB175 was a great wee bike, smooth and fast.  Had loads of bikes since.  I really enjoyed the Fireblade for it's handling and speed.  However, it had to go, coz my arse, back and wrists were protesting.  getting too old. Traded in my XJ900 a couple of months ago for the STi 1300 Pan European.  

#26 ·
Imported post

Speed, handling not sure 70's japs understood those adjectives or should they be adverbs. I replaced that with a CB175, twin carbs etc nowhere near as good at slow speeding slugging. Thats my trouble I like a good puller, none of this two stroke malarky for me, maybe an old Suzzy gt500 twin, mate had a Prod racer version - mental tool.
You are right though had the CD for neraly 2 yrs, think it only ever had an oil change (occasionaly at that - GTX, horrible stuff) and brake shoes (yes shoes - single leaders for brave people). Did thousands of miles on it as well, going all misty eyed now. Saw one this week in London and its not rose tinted they really did fly even if they did look like an old boys machine. Come over all warm - nostalgia, not what it used to be is it.
Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.