View Full Version : Northern Diver Jet Fins and other alternatives to Scubapro

pawel
24-01-08, 08:08 PM
Has anyone of you tried Northern Diver Jet Fins or can recommend any less pricy alternatives to Scubapro?

Garf
24-01-08, 08:57 PM
I used to use northern diver, but the reality is you get what you pay for. The scubapro ones are just slightly longer and wider than most of the other brand jetfins, and although this seems like nitpicking, that little bit extra does make a difference. However, the ND ones are a LOT cheaper so if you are happy with saving the cash and not fussed about getting the best performance then the ND ones are a good option.

Turtle fins are usually a little cheaper than jetfins (though not by much) and many of us use them. as they are enormous.

weazelz
24-01-08, 09:50 PM
Has anyone of you tried Northern Diver Jet Fins or can recommend any less pricy alternatives to Scubapro?

you can try my jetfins on saturday if you like Pawel. in the grand scheme of diving crap that you can spend you money on, I think an extra £20 on a pair of decent fins is - literally - a very small price to pay

nackers does them for £72 here:

Scuba ans Snorkelling Fins at divingniknaks (http://www.divingniknaks.com/scuba_fins.php)

which I think is the cheapest I've seen them, plus it's 10% off day today, so £65

Digger
24-01-08, 10:02 PM
I found there is very little difference between the NDiver and Spro. You can get Beaver ones which might be a tad cheaper than NDiver, but not by much as they are identical products.

I got a pair of Turtles secondhand for £40 and they are very very good fins. If you want a rubber fin and have size 10+ I'd go for these. There were several pairs to choose from when I advertised I wanted some a few months ago at that price.

I wrote a biiiig long article on fins ages ago, which might be of use: https://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/other-dive-equipment/53444-fin-not-fin-not-fin.html

Digs.

Craig
30-01-08, 12:50 PM

I have some Beaver Predator fins that cost about 35 and they are the best fins I have ever had. I've not compared them side by side with scubapro's but they look pretty similar and work for me.

Flipside
30-01-08, 02:01 PM
i use Lomo split fins, i think they were 50 quid not sure how the compare but i think they are really good
Flip

BSH
30-01-08, 02:03 PM
i use Lomo split fins, i think they were 50 quid not sure how the compare but i think they are really good
Flip

just not for what he wants ;)

ratcliffe
30-01-08, 02:07 PM
I use the ND jetfin clone which is 35 quid delivered from Sports Components, I really like them. Not as big and solid as the original Scubapro one, but much more thrusty than most regular fins. plus, like the Scubapro one, they are big and black :)
If you want the extra push that the Scubapro gives, then its worth the extra money maybe for the original, but I find the ND clone more than adequate personally.

BSH
30-01-08, 02:13 PM
I have to say quibbling about an extra 30 for the Scubapro fins when you have just spent 85 on a reel seems a bit odd to me.

I would get think about the priority equipment first and you are going to use the fins on every dive where you might use the reel on 1 in 10 :)

scribley
30-01-08, 02:24 PM
I found even the ND jetfins too heavy for me, so I'm going to be trying out the OMS Slipstream fins which are supposed to be neutrally buoyant. They are 35 + shipping to UK.

30-01-08, 02:26 PM
Just to add:

turtle fins are suitable for divers who use a thin 'gates' type boot (the boot with the thin sole and thin walls) and have a very big foot - male 11 or above

- OR - for divers who have the thicker Othree neoprene boot size 9+

if you are a smaller 'gates' boot ( <11's) or othree boot (<9) - then I would not consider turtle fins - purely because the foot pocket is built to be wider than the rest.

IIRC - I believe Scubapro have recently looked at increasing their range to bring in a larger foot pocket fin?

As always - try before you buy.. (Apparently I have a set of Mark Chase cast offs.. :rolleyes:)

30-01-08, 02:27 PM
Flip

not very 'DIR' though eh? :D ;)

(note forum section)

BSH
30-01-08, 02:29 PM
IIRC - I believe Scubapro have recently looked at increasing their range to bring in a larger foot pocket fin?

and apparently Turtle are bringing one out with a slightly smaller foot pocket ;)

pawel
30-01-08, 02:58 PM
I have to say quibbling about an extra 30 for the Scubapro fins when you have just spent 85 on a reel seems a bit odd to me.

I would get think about the priority equipment first and you are going to use the fins on every dive where you might use the reel on 1 in 10 :)
Just don't like to spend more than I have to. I have started with Mares Avanti just like most of us, so I still have something that I can use, but the frog kick is a nightmare in these.

30-01-08, 03:04 PM
Just don't like to spend more than I have to. I have started with Mares Avanti just like most of us, so I still have something that I can use, but the frog kick is a nightmare in these.

because they of course flex in the water on the reset stroke.

Woz
30-01-08, 04:47 PM
Beaver now do 2 types of jetfin- the original ones (I use them) that are identical to the ND ones and a new type (the Assault) that are similar to the Scubapro/Turtle ones. The foot pocket on the XXL Assaults are massive- I could almost wear one as a hat.

I use XXL Predators with size 10 wellie-type boots and neoprene undersocks.

BJ
30-01-08, 05:13 PM
Comparitive fin test in March Diver mag. 28 different pairs (&#163;19 to &#163;350) tested against speedometers.

Digger
30-01-08, 05:15 PM
I found the XXL Beaver/Ndiver ones to be fine, but just had a bit of trouble getting them off. The turtles are the same in the water pretty much (though I do seem to get off a bit faster without so much effort) but are the easiest fins to remove I've ever used, including my previously very easy to remove Quattros.

Digs.

pawel
30-01-08, 06:30 PM
Beaver now do 2 types of jetfin- the original ones (I use them) that are identical to the ND ones and a new type (the Assault) that are similar to the Scubapro/Turtle ones. The foot pocket on the XXL Assaults are massive- I could almost wear one as a hat.

Are they still called Predator? I cannot see anything new on their website.

ardhill
30-01-08, 06:53 PM
Are they still called Predator? I cannot see anything new on their website.

Third item down:
Fins (http://www.beaversports.co.uk/catalogue/fins/fins.htm)

That is what I use too.