YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Training Schools

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  AM1 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings.

After a bit of advice really. Has anyone got any information on which training centre is best for HSE courses? I've heard various things good and bad about the Underwater Centre and Fort Bill, just wondered if anyone could comment from a position of experience of either. Also, is any of the civil engineering stuff covered in HSE Scuba/SS or does that get taught in the others Parts ie 2-4?

Also, I had Berko's number and email but have lost it, hopefully someone can PM it to me.

Many thanks.

AnneMarie

#2 ·
annemarie,
there are only 2 schools to choose from, both been mentioned on previous threads... pay your money... take your chances.. good and bad with both im sure.
what they will teach you is how to get too and from your place of work, they wont teach you 'civil engineering', that would be another college course lasting 4-5 years? at a guess (correct me if im wrong and im sure someone will:))

p.s.
part 2 is sat

#3 ·
Hi, yes I know, only two but there's so many mixed stories on them both, it's hard to know what's true and what's BS!!

I think there were courses for the civvy stuff but they're separate from the "here's your magic carpet to travel with" courses. 2 was a typo, couldn't be assed editing it!!

Regards

AnneMarie

#4 ·
My work has been recommended to use Dunoon by commie divers working in construction. You'll find some of the instructors there work in construction when they can but I imagine thats true for Fort Bill to.

The general theory is Dunoon has more money and better facilities due to more recent set up and a cash injection from the National Hyperbaric Centre in Aberdeen. NHC and Dunoon are affiliates (oil money in both) ;) .

Your best bet would be to get the course syllabus from each centre and pay them visit to check out facilities. Both Dunoon and Fort Bill are on the tourist trail so could make a pleasant few days out of it and take in the scenery :teeth:

#5 ·
i work with a guy who attended fort bill at the same time i attended the pda.
neither of us has anything bad to say about either of the schools (but im a few grand better off).
regardless of which one you choose, there will always be some story along the way that might leave a bitter taste.

doug had a good idea there, pay them a visit. a few people did this when i was at school, they spent the full day with a 1/2 day on the boat, MV sleat (waterproofs were included).
do you have any civil, construction, engineering,welding etc. background?
not a priority, just helps you to get work

good luck if you decide to do a course.

#6 ·
Hi yes that's why I was asking about the "add on" civils courses.

As Doug said, good idea to take in the scenery and see both schools. I might take my new bike with me, then again the weather's not exactly decent up there right now, I nearly got blown away last month!

The syllabuses look fairly similar but you are right, there's a few K of difference!

Thanks for the advice. Oh, thanks to all those who PM'd so much extensive info also, very helpful.

Regards

AnneMarie

#7 ·
Right, the wheels are in motion to visit both schools. They will also allow access to some of the courses and existing students to discuss stuff.

If anyone is interested in joining me, I could always clear the passenger seat of the car! Weather dependent, a dive may be possible.

Regards

AnneMarie

#10 ·
Hi, yes Doug, excellent point about what's included in the price, I've had that discussion several times over with various parties.

Phil, I've sent you a PM about finalising the dates to go and view both schools. I am only in UK a limited time so the sooner the better to go and view or else it will be next time I'm back. Also I have a DVD if you want a copy, which gives some good detail about Fort Bill. I also have the salvage manual if you want a copy and the Underwater Cutting & Welding DVD.

Regards

AnneMarie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.