View Full Version : Very iffy Myflex long hose

James The Badger
16-05-08, 03:23 PM
Interested on experiences here with these 'new' hoses. I was using the 2.10cm over the last few days and found it way too floaty in the water, possibly making long hose managment in reduced viz or overhead difficult.
The consensus seems to be use them, but mayby only for LPI/Suit.
Any thoughts or comments on them, anyone love them?

dry suit diver
16-05-08, 03:28 PM
Interested on experiences here with these 'new' hoses. I was using the 2.10cm over the last few days and found it way too floaty in the water, possibly making long hose managment in reduced viz or overhead difficult.

feck how do you get a 2 cm hose from your cylinder to your mouth:)

fezboy
16-05-08, 03:32 PM
Treat them like snakes beat them with a big stick :)

16-05-08, 03:33 PM
feck how do you get a 2 cm hose from your cylinder to your mouth:)

:D

you chimp.

BSH
16-05-08, 03:36 PM
:D

you chimp.

Another one who can't do numbers :D

16-05-08, 03:38 PM
Another one who can't do numbers :D

nope - this is the distance chimp.. the numbers chimp is in Scapa.

IanDennis
16-05-08, 03:39 PM
I tried one and found that I didn't like it at all. If anything the hose has too much flexibility. Went back to my old long hose and much prefer it.

For backup and Lp hoses then I can see where it would be useful but for long hose it wouldn't be my choice. Of course everybody is different and some may like it more. If anybody wants to make me an offer for a myflex 210cm hose then pm me :)

Graham Smith
16-05-08, 03:41 PM
I have 3 sets of regs (single set up and twins) and all hoses are Miflex bar the HP.

I do not find the long hose "Floaty" in the water at all, just not nearly as heavy as the usual rubber ones. However, Speaking to Brian Allen about them at Vobster and there seems to be little difference in performance and characteristics between these and the Scubapro....

BSH
16-05-08, 03:44 PM

Length doesn't seem to be his thing either :D

Garf
16-05-08, 03:53 PM
i have a 2 metre miflex on my octopus on my BCD setup. However, its all bungied up to make the octopus normal length so I haven't noticed any problems with it

Did I really just type that.

sigh

James The Badger
16-05-08, 03:54 PM

I just used the patented 'GLOC spinning wheel deco number selector' to measure it

And
16-05-08, 04:03 PM
Hi

Bob had one of those hoses for his drysuit inflate. I don't really like the idea that they could use cheaper rubber and then use nylon thread to give enough wall strength to pass the burst pressure standards. You can't really check the condition of the hose, and as I recently experienced a hose failure, it is something I have started to do more stringently when kitting up.

Also, should the nylon begin to fray then is the hose still safe, as the nylon must provide some of the wall strength, otherwise what is the point of having it :)

Andy

neilh
16-05-08, 04:05 PM

You know my thoughts - I'm not 100% convinced either :)
The other thing I've found is that don't "grip" the canister light as well as normal hoses either, so they can slacken off and also pop out.

i have a 2 metre miflex on my octopus on my BCD setup. However, its all bungied up to make the octopus normal length so I haven't noticed any problems with it

That's priceless! :D

BSH
16-05-08, 04:05 PM

sigh

What BCD, Octopus or bungied :eek:

James The Badger
16-05-08, 04:07 PM

sigh

It will just get caught up in your tank banger and fish ID slates

neilh
16-05-08, 04:09 PM
You can't really check the condition of the hose, and as I recently experienced a hose failure, it is something I have started to do more stringently when kitting up.

Also, should the nylon begin to fray then is the hose still safe, as the nylon must provide some of the wall strength, otherwise what is the point of having it :)

If the nylon is starting to fray then you might be able to see the condition of the hose beneath and decide whether or not it needs replacing? If it hasn't started to go then presumably any failure could be down to internal wear or degradation that you might not spot with a normal hose either?

Not sure really, but I appreciate where you're coming from :)

MartyC
16-05-08, 04:09 PM
What BCD, Octopus or bungied :eek:

That's Garf in PADI Instructor style mode :redface:

I have a mirflex on my back up reg but much prefer a standard rubber hose for "long hose" use. :)

Paul Burgess
16-05-08, 06:51 PM
I use a miflex hose on my necklaced reg as the flexibility helps routing with my Apeks 1st stages. I've not tried a miflex long hose but imagine that they don't handle quite as nicely as normal ones.

Bantam
16-05-08, 06:51 PM
I was looking at the miflex hoses this evening in my LDS, and was going to replace my necklaces left-post reg hose with one, until the apeks 1st stage port issue came into my mind. (I haven't got an adaptor on my reg at the moment :( )

Damn you apeks!

Twinsetmad
16-05-08, 06:59 PM
I bought one for my wing inflator and really like it... so much so I'm going to get one for my other se of twinset regs. I'm not going to try swapping my long hose though... I recon it would be to floaty..

So If anyone has a 90 cm inflator hose they want to sell... must be black, I'll take it.:)

divingniknaks
16-05-08, 06:59 PM
They do both sizes you know ?

1/2" and 3/8".

Well, we do anyway, I'm sure others must as well.

Sparky
16-05-08, 07:12 PM
I've just changed all my lp hoses to the miflex ones and have got a 2m hose, I used them for the first time in Egypt and ended up routing it under my arm and round the back of my head I didn't notice any problems with it being floaty.
On a side note they are a smaller diameter then the old ones and I had to wrap some insulation tape round my bc inflater hose so I could get the hose clamp for my knife to stay in one place and not slide around.

Piotr
17-05-08, 07:34 AM
Hi

I don't really like the idea that they could use cheaper rubber and then use nylon thread to give enough wall strength to pass the burst pressure standards.

Miflex are very high quality hoses and do not use any cheap rubber for the inner liner, but high quality polyeurathene. The nylon braiding adds strength to the manufacuring that is stronger than the rubber hose coating used on traditional hoses.

Every hose is tested to above standard requirements for burst pressure on the production line to ensure it supasses the minimum requirements.

The nylon has a very high abrahsion resistance, much more than the rubber hoses, so I do not beleive any fraying will occur. As with any hose surely, regular inspection should be made and when signs of wear are on the hose then they should be replaced, for your own safety.

There have been a couple of points raised about the hoses being floaty, and this has to be something of an opinion, as there is no noticable difference between this for either the traditional rubber hoses or Miflex Xtreme hoses.

Rubber hoses do have a couple of flaws as well, as the outer layer could begin to erode if exposed to UV or salt water, where Miflex hoses have no rubber on them so do not.