View Full Version : One Piece Harness and RIB diving

Sphyrna Lewini
22-11-08, 04:55 PM
I've decided to swap from my regular BCD to a ST wing, backplate and one piece harness (probably the Agir Blackbird). I like the simplicity of the system and the fact I can upgrade to a double wing later.

I was however, wondering how easy it is to get out of a one piece harness at the surface to pass it up to a RIB? And if anyone has any tips for getting out ofthe harness I can try out in confined water before I'm in the sea.

I apreciate that harness ease-of-doffing is down to correct set-up of said harness, and I've read several YDers' websites on how to set up, but am still worried about looking like [more of] a numpty at the RIB if I can't get out of it without help:embarasse

I haven't yet purchased my new system, but I do think it will fit in with the way I see my diving progressing over the next few years and so would really appreciate any help from people that know more than me.

Thanks in advance

MJH
22-11-08, 05:07 PM
Its easy as long as you let most of the air out the wing.

Hickdive
22-11-08, 05:12 PM
1. Set the harness up properly, there are a number of free resources online, try Claire Gledhill's. It's worth spending quite some time over this.

2. Make sure there's not too much air in the wing.

3. Doff your primary long hose and clip it to your RH chest d-ring.

4. Grab the primary long hose and use it to pull the RH shoulder strap off your shoulder. It'll pop right off and bob is your proverbial.

nigelH
22-11-08, 05:41 PM
I used to do it and I have restricted mobility in my shoulders.
Once you pop the waist and crotch straps the rig rides up and once it is behind your shoulders the arm loops seem huge and getting out of it is easy.

iainmsmith
22-11-08, 05:43 PM
I was however, wondering how easy it is to get out of a one piece harness at the surface to pass it up to a RIB? And if anyone has any tips for getting out ofthe harness I can try out in confined water before I'm in the sea.

The way I do it:

Switch to backup.
Clip off long hose.
Flip long hose loop forward over head
Take off necklace (but keep breathing backup)
Undo suit feed (this one is important, but probably what I forget most! :-) )
Undo waist belt...make sure to get the crotch strap off!

You then need to dump most of the gas in the wing. I press the deflate button and do a "chicken thing" with my elbows, to try to persuade as much out as possible.

You can then either flip the set over your head (expect to have to wriggle your arms out!) or grab the shoulder d-rings, pull them back and wriggle your arms out (you may want to stay on the long hose if you're doing this)

NB: if you are using a big canister light, make sure you keep hold of the inflator!

The first few times I did this, I was almost persuaded to put a break in the harness. :-) Then it got easier. I spent a week in November getting back into a RIB in Egypt with no problems.

Iain

Iain

Lou
22-11-08, 06:19 PM
And my way is slightly different again - but look on the bright side, if there are a dozen ways of getting out it can't be that hard!

I stay on the long hose, undo the waist strap before the boat arrives and ditch the crotch strap, doing the waist strap up again afterwards.

I then hand up my weightbelt after loosening the waist strap

Then get shot of the suit inflate and the backup reg, let a little air out the wing, undo the waist band, drop down in the water a few inches and use the left d-ring to free my left arm. I swing the set round still on my right shoulder so the hefter on the rib can grab a hold. Once they have hold and pull it in with a shove on the bottom of the tank from me, I can hand up my primary reg ;)

dynarob
22-11-08, 06:20 PM
I do half my diving off a RIB, best tip I can give you apart from reducing the air in your wing is to remove bulky computers from the arm you take out of the harness first. I hang them off the reel while waiting to be picked up. It is a lot easier in a wetsuit but I refuse to wear one at this time of year.

MJH
22-11-08, 06:23 PM
And my way is slightly different again - but look on the bright side, if there are a dozen ways of getting out it can't be that hard!

I stay on the long hose, undo the waist strap before the boat arrives and ditch the crotch strap, doing the waist strap up again afterwards.

I then hand up my weightbelt after loosening the waist strap

Then get shot of the suit inflate and the backup reg, let a little air out the wing, undo the waist band, drop down in the water a few inches and use the left d-ring to free my left arm. I swing the set round still on my right shoulder so the hefter on the rib can grab a hold. Once they have hold and pull it in with a shove on the bottom of the tank from me, I can hand up my primary reg ;)

Thats pretty much what I do as well

Except for the weight belt bit

Lou
22-11-08, 06:26 PM
Thats pretty much what I do as well

Except for the weight belt bit

Yeah, I know I am way uncool keeping a weightbelt, but I actually prefer it! :D Maybe it's because the less I have to carry at one go the better!

MJH
22-11-08, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I know I am way uncool keeping a weightbelt, but I actually prefer it!

Sorry Lou that came across wrong

I don't use weight so don't need a belt

Lou
22-11-08, 06:29 PM
Sorry Lou that came across wrong

I don't use weight so don't need a belt

Crossed wires - I was busy editing mine because I knew you didn't mean it like that and I saw my reply made it look like I thought you did.

Bloody internet! :D

MJH
22-11-08, 06:33 PM
Crossed wires - I was busy editing mine because I knew you didn't mean it like that and I saw my reply made it look like I thought you did.

Bloody internet! :D

NP

But what I actually mean is that I don't use any weight at all, not on a belt or on my kit

Kev
22-11-08, 06:33 PM
It is indeed a doddle to get out of a one piece harness in the water. Try to get someone to show you how first time if you can. I often dive from rhibs with a twinset.

Try to get someone to show you how to set it up as well, much easier than internet.

Best

Kev

Lou
22-11-08, 06:42 PM
NP

But what I actually mean is that I don't use any weight at all, not on a belt or on my kit

Yep, got that!

Slightly jealous mind you... :D

Sphyrna Lewini
22-11-08, 07:03 PM
Thanks people, I'm now reassured that after some practice I'll be able to do it. I intend to go to a quarry and pracitice until I'm confident I can do it without much thought.

It looks like I'll be ordering some nice shiny new kit then!

Thanks again

MJH
22-11-08, 07:31 PM
Yep, got that!

Slightly jealous mind you... :D

Don't be

Have you any idea how often people tell me it dangerous to dive without weight because I have nothing I can ditch

Lou
22-11-08, 07:44 PM
Don't be

Have you any idea how often people tell me it dangerous to dive without weight because I have nothing I can ditch

Really???

Do you tell them how dangerous it is to dive so mentally challenged?

MJH
22-11-08, 08:05 PM
Really???

Do you tell them how dangerous it is to dive so mentally challenged?

Someone said to me once that diving without weight was dangerous because I should be able to dump weight if I found it hard to ascend for any reason.

I can't get my head around this argument. IMO if I dive with weight I don't need I will be over weighted. So if I am stuck on the sea bed and dump the weight I didn't need in the first place surely I will still stay sat on the sea bed as opposed to rising off it. Or have I got that wrong?

BTW I do use 2k if I have artics on as well as xerotherms and I'm in the sea

Lou
22-11-08, 08:12 PM
Someone said to me once that diving without weight was dangerous because I should be able to dump weight if I found it hard to ascend for any reason.

I can't get my head around this argument. IMO if I dive with weight I don't need I will be over weighted. So if I am stuck on the sea bed and dump the weight I didn't need in the first place surely I will still stay sat on the sea bed as opposed to rising off it. Or have I got that wrong?

BTW I do use 2k if I have artics on as well as xerotherms and I'm in the sea

No, you are pretty much right. That's why whoever said it is mentally deficient!

If you are neutral, then ditching weight would make you positive, but if you are neutral, then barring complete paralysis it won't take much to send you positive without ditching any weight.

The only times I can see my weighbelt being ditched is on the surface, to ensure bouyancy. If you wear weight you don't need in order to be able to ditch it, then all you are doing is adding a step!

JamieG
23-11-08, 09:56 AM
I don't know if this helps or not?

From a BCD I went to a OPH then put a break in it, then onto an adjustable harness and now I'm back to a OPH again :redface:

Basically (for me) getting the OPH harness on and off out of the water is harder than having one with clips, but in the water I find it easy to remove and far better to dive in - less moving about on your back and far more secure.

The negatives for me are that I get sore biceps and pecs from a ONP after diving (usually the next day) this is due to how I am built - short and stocky.

My conclusion is that in the water is the most important place to be comfortable and the OPH offers me this - hence the trade off with difficulty out of the water and a bit of post dive aches is worth it to me. :)

Janos
23-11-08, 11:33 AM
My conclusion is that in the water is the most important place to be comfortable and the OPH offers me this - hence the trade off with difficulty out of the water and a bit of post dive aches is worth it to me. :)

But of course the dive ends when you're back on the boat, not back on the surface.

I had to remove and replace my one-piece harness on my MOD3 course. It was surprisingly easy to remove, but surprisingly hard to put back on again.

Janos

23-11-08, 03:44 PM
Had reservations myself as 95% of all my sea diving is RIB based but it really isnt a problem. I can get out of my OHP quicker than buddys can unclip the 15 or whatever clips on their BC. Provided i lean back onto the setup and empty the wing slightly its really simple.

For me its usually stay on long hose, undo waist and crotch strap, pass weight belt up (which lives under crotch strap to stop it dropping- i need too much lead to remove the belt entirely despite SS plate and P-weight) then onto back to get out of harness. Then clip long hose off.

On the subject of a break a buddy put one in his recently, on the last dive we noticed it had become undone underwater (he hadn't realised as rig still secure). However it was a complete nightmare for us to re-connect. He couldn't reach or see it properly and was so tight i struggled as well. Its my only experience with a break under the arm but from that im wondering just how useful they are.

Kev
23-11-08, 05:54 PM
But of course the dive ends when you're back on the boat, not back on the surface.

I had to remove and replace my one-piece harness on my MOD3 course. It was surprisingly easy to remove, but surprisingly hard to put back on again.

Janos

I assume you mean while underwater, not on the surface! I have no idea whether this translates to rebreathers but I have learned a great trick for getting in and out of a OPH with a twinset whilst underwater. You need something to rest it on though so it is more PADI than GUE! ;)

Just for clarity, I cannot ever imagine taking off my twins on a dive. Nor can I think why this would ever be a useful thing to know. Strictly for showing off in the swimming pool only. :)

Best

Kev

Treerat
23-11-08, 07:42 PM
I might just get shot down in flames for this but....

I have removed the retaining clips from behind the back plate, that means the shoulder loops are adjustable by pulling on the waist strap.

When it comes to getting out of the rig I release the waist clip, pull on the left shoulder so plenty of webbing comes through and roll out.

It suits me!

Andy

up 4 it
23-11-08, 10:19 PM
I still can't see the need for a OPH, The claim that the clip is a failure point just doesn't seem to make sense. The advantages of having a release on the LH strap seem to far outweigh any disadvantages that I can see.

Has anyone on here ever had a release fail, and has it caused any major safety issues. It just seems to be a trend that's been adopted from GUE

Gareth J
23-11-08, 10:42 PM
I assume you mean while underwater, not on the surface! I have no idea whether this translates to rebreathers but I have learned a great trick for getting in and out of a OPH with a twinset whilst underwater. You need something to rest it on though so it is more PADI than GUE! ;)

Just for clarity, I cannot ever imagine taking off my twins on a dive. Nor can I think why this would ever be a useful thing to know. Strictly for showing off in the swimming pool only. :)

Best

Kev

I've had to dekit once inside a wreck. Some great ***** followed me into a wreck after telling me they where going to stay outside & kicked the **** out of the vis'.
I exited via a hole in the decking, after feeding the stages & twinset through. I then had to go back in on a reel & get the idiot out.

Yes, I should have reeled in myself, I would have if I had known he was going to follow me in.

Gareth

Paul Burgess
24-11-08, 10:55 AM
1. Undo the harness, including crotch strap

2. Hand up your weightbelt

3. Remove long hose wrap, necklace and drysuit feed (continue to breathe off one)

4. Pop one shoulder out of the harness. (Do this by placing the palm of the hand against your body around about where your kidney would be, behind the shoulder strap. Poke your fingers underneath the shoulder strap and then push the arm through. The strap rides up the arm... Lift your upper arm up/out to the side to pop the strap off the shoulder)

5. Swing set round to take your other arm out and hand up the set

I have never had the need to deflate the wing to do this, but each to their own.

Dave Crampton
24-11-08, 11:08 AM
I never had a problem with the single peice harnes - which Paul (Copperband) now has. It was never that tight - I could fit a fist inbetween the harnes and my sholder/armpit/chest. I cold even shrug it off with the wing mostly inflated. I also took a short peice of blue rope with two Carabinas in a pocket so I could clip the wing to the BHIB if I was worried about it sinking or floating off.

Dave C