View Full Version : Halcyon BP

Naomi S
31-01-09, 11:57 AM
How long is yours (cm)? From top to bottom and how much does it weigh (kg)?

Also how many cm from the top of the plate is the top hole?

don
31-01-09, 12:01 PM
15"
about 2lb
2 1/4 "

31-01-09, 12:06 PM
Mine isn't a holycon one, but ....

39.5cm top to bottom

the top of the top hole is 2cm
the top of the bottom hole, which is where the harness goes is 6.5cm

I think it is about 3.5kg (I weighed it once). It is a lot more than that with all the trimmings :D

Naomi S
31-01-09, 12:07 PM
15"
about 2lb
2 1/4 "

2lb? Is that Ali then?

Naomi S
31-01-09, 12:11 PM
Mine is 39.5cm, 2.4kg (on it's own) and the top of the second hole is 5cm.

I ask cos I can't get my head back, even with the cylinder as low as it goes. I am wondering if either the BP is too big for me or the holes are too high up.

It does not have slots for the bands so I have to use an STA in the 2nd down hole.

Graham Smith
31-01-09, 12:16 PM
Can't get your head back to where?

Your BP will need to be set up for you and you wont need to move the cylinders. All I do is rest my head back on the isolator, it is hard to describe by how much but it is only when it is hard against the isolator can I see straight ahead - does that make sense?

don
31-01-09, 12:17 PM
yep a nice black annodised aluminium

Mal Bridgeman
31-01-09, 12:19 PM
How did you first adjust it when you first set it up? Getting the height of the plate on your back is the first thing you do and everything *should* fall into place from there.

I don't recall you being an anatomical freak and even TFT manage to fit theirs :D

Piccies might help.....
Mal

don
31-01-09, 12:21 PM
dumb question.........

using an STA where are the cam bands positioned?

if you put harness/plate on without cylinder you should just be able to reach the top of the plate when stretching hand behind head

not much chance of solving problem online.....try and grab someone next time your at Vobster/Chepstow etc.

Naomi S
31-01-09, 12:21 PM
Can't get your head back to where?

Your BP will need to be set up for you and you wont need to move the cylinders. All I do is rest my head back on the isolator, it is hard to describe by how much but it is only when it is hard against the isolator can I see straight ahead - does that make sense?

I use a single wing and cylinder and there is a pillar valve in the way of getting my head back so I cannot look forward when in flat trim.

don
31-01-09, 12:23 PM
How did you first adjust it when you first set it up? Getting the height of the plate on your back is the first thing you do and everything *should* fall into place from there.

I don't recall you being an anatomical freak and even TFT manage to fit theirs :D

Piccies might help.....
Mal

Oh yea Mal forgot to say first time you adjust backplate you have to be naked.:)

Naomi S
31-01-09, 12:31 PM
dumb question.........

using an STA where are the cam bands positioned?

if you put harness/plate on without cylinder you should just be able to reach the top of the plate when stretching hand behind head

not much chance of solving problem online.....try and grab someone next time your at Vobster/Chepstow etc.

I have a travel STA which comes in 2 parts and the bands go exactly where the holes are.

The BP is a bit high up on my back I can grab a big handful of it but then I am quite flexible in the tricep department, I can link my fingers behind my back so I would expect to be able to reach more of it. The only way to make it lower would be to loosen the arms and then it's going to be all moving around on my back.

Next stupid question, would an a clamp make the pillar valve stick up more than DIN? I use club regs, dont have any here to look at and cannot visualise it.

don
31-01-09, 12:35 PM
see said it was a dumb question (obviously not clear).......no where are they on the tank - top one right at the break where it curves?

flexability - lucky you....but remember it doesn't want to be too tight - your gonna want to take it off underwater sometime (well not want but probably have to!)

yes a-clamp sticks out more - I think - definitely if you use a converter.

(it's ok you can PM the photos!)

Naomi S
31-01-09, 12:38 PM
see said it was a dumb question (obviously not clear).......no where are they on the tank - top one right at the break where it curves?

flexability - lucky you....but remember it doesn't want to be too tight - your gonna want to take it off underwater sometime (well not want but probably have to!)

yes a-clamp sticks out more - I think - definitely if you use a converter.

(it's ok you can PM the photos!)

:D dumb questions all round then!

Yes they are right at the curvy bit. It's not too tight as I did take it on and off in the pool last week. This was after I shortened it by a couple of inches both sides to compensate for not having a drysuit on. Maybe it was the A clamp then.

31-01-09, 12:55 PM
My mate Spikeysnakey had a similar problem with the cylinder sitting two high with the two piece travel adaptors and ended up getting one of the single piece STA's where the bands are slightly closer together than they are when using the travel ones so he could lower the tank.

There not cheap though Agir-Brokks are around 85 and Halcyon around 90

don
31-01-09, 12:57 PM
There not cheap though Agir-Brokks are around 85 and Halcyon around 90

Bloody hell!

My ABS Dive Rite was less than half that price.

31-01-09, 01:00 PM
Bloody hell!

My ABS Dive Rite was less than half that price.

I know, im thinking about getting some soon, maybe i should have said you could probably get them cheaper 2nd hand or cheaper versions of other makes they were just the first ones i looked at.

TerryH
31-01-09, 01:28 PM
Next stupid question, would an a clamp make the pillar valve stick up more than DIN? I use club regs, dont have any here to look at and cannot visualise it.

Nope, the club regs are Apeks DST's or DS4.

A.Clamp and Din fit onto the same internal thread and while the A.Clamp
looks larger, the clamp itself is away from your head. The valve body might
be slightly different, but we are talking a couple of mil at best.

Havnt looked at your rig, but from memory the STA isnt a STA. Its two
blocks with bolts attached and no possible adjustment.

I have a real STA on my Zeagle you can try and that should have a bit more
play, so you can lower the cylinder.

T.

tootricky
31-01-09, 05:50 PM
Nope, the club regs are Apeks DST's or DS4.

A.Clamp and Din fit onto the same internal thread and while the A.Clamp
looks larger, the clamp itself is away from your head. The valve body might
be slightly different, but we are talking a couple of mil at best.

Havnt looked at your rig, but from memory the STA isnt a STA. Its two
blocks with bolts attached and no possible adjustment.

I have a real STA on my Zeagle you can try and that should have a bit more
play, so you can lower the cylinder.

T.
IIRC, Naomi was using a A-clamp adaptor which would add the depth of the DIN threads to the face of the valve (if you see what I mean :)) so might make it a little harder for her to get her head back. Might just be that the harness is too tight.

big_si
31-01-09, 06:08 PM
IIRC, Naomi was using a A-clamp adaptor which would add the depth of the DIN threads to the face of the valve (if you see what I mean :)) so might make it a little harder for her to get her head back. Might just be that the harness is too tight.

...or her head is too big! :D

Moz
31-01-09, 06:13 PM
The only way to make it lower would be to loosen the arms and then it's going to be all moving around on my back.

Crotch strap. :)

That will take up the 'excess' and hold the plate in position

Naomi S
31-01-09, 06:16 PM
Thanks all, I think it's probably mostly due to the travel STA thingys, I'll try a proper one.

Moz
31-01-09, 06:20 PM
Thanks all, I think it's probably mostly due to the travel STA thingys, I'll try a proper one.

Sounds more like your harness to me to be honest. The travel STA's put the straps where twin bands would be anyway.

31-01-09, 06:47 PM
Sounds more like your harness to me to be honest. The travel STA's put the straps where twin bands would be anyway.hmmm... my STA (a frog one) creates a similar problem.

In twins, the isolator ends up at the back of the head, and is a good reference for everything else.

If you put my single rig and my twinset next to each other, the regs on the single are far higher than the manifold.

I had to drop the top band on the STA tomake sure I could get into a sensible position.

Tony B
31-01-09, 06:48 PM
Noami

If you allready have the cam band adaptors how about just drilling another hole in the back plate a couple of inches lower than the existing top one, (You can put a hole in the wing with a soldering Iron if ur careful) this will give you a bit of adjustment on the cylinder and may solve ur problem, as Moz said the top and band is at the same height as it would be on a twinset, the difference is that generally when you tilt your head back in twins it sits between the valves, on a single for I have excatly the same problem you do and the first stage stops me getting my head back.

Tony

Moz
31-01-09, 06:53 PM
hmmm... my STA (a frog one) creates a similar problem.

In twins, the isolator ends up at the back of the head, and is a good reference for everything else.

If you put my single rig and my twinset next to each other, the regs on the single are far higher than the manifold.

I had to drop the top band on the STA tomake sure I could get into a sensible position.

I havn't seen a frog STA. Are the cam bands not in line with the mounting bolts? With the travel adapters I am sure they are.

Naomi S
31-01-09, 06:53 PM
Noami

If you allready have the cam band adaptors how about just drilling another hole in the back plate a couple of inches lower than the existing top one, (You can put a hole in the wing with a soldering Iron if ur careful) this will give you a bit of adjustment on the cylinder and may solve ur problem, as Moz said the top and band is at the same height as it would be on a twinset, the difference is that generally when you tilt your head back in twins it sits between the valves, on a single for I have excatly the same problem you do and the first stage stops me getting my head back.

Tony

I could do...

...although I am favouring this idea. How did you do that then? Is it easy enough to just move the top band?

Tony B
31-01-09, 06:57 PM
The Frog STA has two sets of slots for the bands so you can move them dwlow the top hole on the back plate.

weazelz
31-01-09, 07:08 PM
naomi,

the BP goes pointy-end up

31-01-09, 07:11 PM
I could do...

...although I am favouring this idea. How did you do that then? Is it easy enough to just move the top band?My STA has 4 slots. By putting the band through different slots, you can get the cylinder where you want it to be

Naomi S
31-01-09, 07:14 PM
naomi,

the BP goes pointy-end up

lol, i will heed your extremely useful advice as i am just pleased you are still here to give it ;)

it's your go btw :D

Naomi S
31-01-09, 07:14 PM
My STA has 4 slots. By putting the band through different slots, you can get the cylinder where you want it to be

ooh i want one! where did you get it?

31-01-09, 07:19 PM
ooh i want one! where did you get it?It is a Frog one. Kindly given to me by a generous YD'er.

Paul Burgess
03-02-09, 05:49 PM
I have a 'Woz' STA. This has slots instead of holes for the bolts, so you can adjust its position vertically.

Using a 15L cylinder would also move the reg further from your head.

However (without having seen you) I think that your root issue would be due to your shoulder straps being too tight and perhaps your perception of flat trim may in fact be slightly head down. It is always better to get this sorted as best as possible before going down a kit modification route.

ATB

Paul

Lou
03-02-09, 06:34 PM
I would have thought it is all perfect, I it just that a single rig does put the 1st stage right behind your head and feel odd at first because an isolator on twins sits slightly lower and further back than the first stages and gives your head more room.