View Full Version : New Meg in Town

MartyC
27-06-09, 02:48 PM
Picked up my Meg from Mr Hayhurst on Wednesday and have just spent most of the day fettling, I'm a happy man :teeth:
IF the last 3 digits of the serial number are the unit number then I've got 406

The wife's not too impressed, she hasn't seen me all day (snigger), only bug bear is I can't go diving tomorrow :mad: so I'll have to wait till Friday and I'll take it to the pool for a shake down. An hour at the bottom of the pool will give me plenty of time to inspect the floating debris :frown: :puke:
Then get some serious hours on it before Scapa in Oct :shade:

steveharriss
27-06-09, 03:13 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. I hope you enjoy diving the Meg.

HeBails
27-06-09, 03:55 PM
Well done Marty.
What did you do with the KISS and why a meg?

deepestandy
27-06-09, 04:24 PM
Well done Marty.
What did you do with the KISS and why a meg?

Another one has seen the light, your lagging behind now Paul! Glad to see the flash in the pan KISS trend is wearing off. :D

HeBails
27-06-09, 04:26 PM
Another one has seen the light, your lagging behind now Paul! Glad to see the flash in the pan KISS trend is wearing off. :D

Give him another 6 months and he'll be on a R-evo. Then a Boris probably then a Mk6 or something elsehttps://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Lancer4545
27-06-09, 09:15 PM
Congrats Marty. I am sure you will love it!!

Regards,

Lance

Gordon Mackie
27-06-09, 09:38 PM
KISS for Saturdays, Meg for Sundays and looking for a decent Sentinel for weekday bimbles?

Mair money than sense laddie :-)

deepestandy
28-06-09, 09:44 AM

Yes I'm on the look out for a CIS MK5 in good condition as a travel unit, you know for holidays etc. ;)

MartyC
28-06-09, 09:51 AM
Thanks Guys, Paul I sold the KISS on, got what I paid for it so well happy.
I chose the Meg due to the WOB, I bought the KISS before I'd dived a rebreather for more than 10 minutes! (try dive on an inspo at the dive show a few years ago), it had the features I was looking for, simple design robust etc, then I did a try dive session with Rich Stephenson at Stoney where I tried the KISS, MEG, Inspo & Sentinel, I didn't get on with the Inspo, liked the KISS and the Sentinel but loved the Meg, just felt right.
Did Mod1 with Andy on the KISS and although I enjoyed the course and the KISS, I did find it harder work than I expected (I know HTFU;) ), so when Andy put his Meg up for sale, I had before me the unit I wanted from a trusted source, so it was a no brainer really.

MartyC
28-06-09, 09:53 AM
Give him another 6 months and he'll be on a R-evo. Then a Boris probably then a Mk6 or something elsehttps://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
LOL, I had more money than sense! no more major purchases for a while now :frown: :p

MartyC
28-06-09, 09:54 AM
KISS for Saturdays, Meg for Sundays and looking for a decent Sentinel for weekday bimbles?

:D To True Gordon ;)

deepestandy
28-06-09, 09:55 AM
That was a nice unit, I was very tempted to sell the sentinel and buy it myself (as it's what I originally wanted). Hope you enjoy it and if you want to meet up for a dip any time just drop me a line.

Andy

Moray Brown
01-07-09, 08:24 PM
*ahem* there's still a chance :)

That was a nice unit, I was very tempted to sell the sentinel and buy it myself (as it's what I originally wanted). Hope you enjoy it and if you want to meet up for a dip any time just drop me a line.

Andy

01-07-09, 08:32 PM
Then get some serious hours on it before Scapa in Oct :shade:

going to be lots of toys knocking around in scapa in october. :D

deepestandy
01-07-09, 08:35 PM
*ahem* there's still a chance :)

Yes bt I spent it on a sentinel... Anyway, what would you dive Moray? You must be running low on rebreathers :teeth:

Moray Brown
01-07-09, 08:37 PM
Cleared the decks and gone back to the best .... Shearwater Cave Meg

Yes bt I spent it on a sentinel... Anyway, what would you dive Moray? You must be running low on rebreathers :teeth:

deepestandy
01-07-09, 08:38 PM
Cleared the decks and gone back to the best .... Shearwater Cave Meg

Old habits die hard eh mate.

Moray Brown
01-07-09, 08:42 PM
You'll have to take it for a spin, and you"ll see why....

Old habits die hard eh mate.

MartyC
18-07-09, 04:24 PM
Well took the Meg for a play last Saturday, nice shallow bimble at "Blue Lagoon" with Principia as my chief body recovery back up :wink: , actually Jason was more interested in how much he could get for the Meg if I pegged it (git).
Water temp was 21 degrees so no need for hood or cloves which was nice, I wasn't sure of weighting to start with, so a check was the first thing to do, got down ok with no lead, maybe just a touch on the lite side but manageable.
First impression - god this is so nice! beathes like a dream, buoyancy ok, once I'd got the loop volume set, being a bit on the lite side made for slight difficulty when the solenoid injects gas, but once I'd figured that out I was happy.
Left the electronics in charge for this dive, wanted to get used to hearing the solenoid firing and make sure the set point was being kept ok, note to self, turn the bleedin HUD on before entering the water (plonker), no biggy but more task loading when underwater than necessary.
Next dive, I'll play with it manually for a while, need to build up the muscle memory for where everything is, instead of fumbling about like a nutter :embarasse
Bailout drill went fine, no drama closing the DSV and changing onto my bailout reg, need to look at a BOV, which is one feature I really liked about the KISS, check the handset then back on the loop, nice.
So weighting, I need another kilo, light comes on at the back of my head! I changed Andy's backplate for my Ali one, ha har, that's why I was ever so slightly lite, changed back to the steel one, so all should be well, double check on next outing.

I can confirm that I am a happy man, the Meg is everything I was looking for, WOB is brilliant and I can get decent trim without my lungs being punched out :wink: :D ( I know HTFU ), I do miss the Shearwater though :cry:
Just upgraded the VR£ to C4 so at least I can look at deco at a fixed set point, on the go, however I use tables anyway, so the VR£ is a check mechanism not the primary system.

Later