View Full Version : Miflex HP hoses and spg choice

Pem
25-07-09, 11:10 AM
Not exclusively a DIR question but asked here because it refers to my set up,i have just made the switch to Miflex on all the hoses and was a bit shocked as to the small diameter of the hp hose,when adorned with my big brass Agir spg it looks like one of Bett Lynch's ear rings,if you use the Miflex are you suppose to downsize your spg? i have tied the boltsnap to the swivel,so there doensnt seem any extra strain on the hose,comments please.Thanks,Simon.

The Duck
25-07-09, 11:13 AM
There should be no need to downsize the SPG.

SPG size, in my opinion, should be determined by ease of reading the gauge - not cosmetic appearance.

Digger
25-07-09, 11:14 AM
Not a DIR answer, but I did exactly this. Swapped to a small Scubapro gauge without boot because the weight of the big brass gauge was bending the Miflex hose all over the place either when I grabbed it or wanted to put it anywhere on my gear so it would stay.

I'd have thought one of the smaller brass housed gauges would fit the bill. They're not cheap, but probably meet the standard.

The Scubapro gauge I have is brass housed, but is probably a bit too small to be suitable as a primary gauge for many. I'm fine with it, it's accurate and I can see it easily.

Digs.

Pem
25-07-09, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the replies,it wasnt because of how it looks,more so the weight of the gauge on the end of a thin hose,i know they are supposed to be stronger etc but you never know.

JamieG
25-07-09, 12:11 PM
I use a standard DirZone SPG on my Miflex and so far so good. Its done about twenty dives now and I'm happy with it.

Remember I'm Optimental not Optimal though.:wink:

James The Badger
26-07-09, 09:00 PM
Even with the pubic hair diameter of the Myflex stage HP hose, a few wraps of cave line or a slice of bike inner tube wrappped twice will hold it behind pretty much any guage.

HP
26-07-09, 11:19 PM
I've changed all 10 sets of regs over to Miflex now: HP + MP. Absolutely superb - way better than rubber in every way. The HP is very thin, but you get used to it and it's actually easier to read because it's more flexible. I just use the same medium brass gauge as before :)

BarryS
27-07-09, 04:36 AM
anyone know any good suppliers - preferably in the south - of the miflex hoses ?

lumpi
27-07-09, 05:13 AM
As above - don't worry about it. Done 100+ dives now - including the beta tests - with a big gauge on the skinny hose...no probs at all, it just feels a bit strange at first, but you'll get used to it.

27-07-09, 06:59 AM
anyone know any good suppliers - preferably in the south - of the miflex hoses ?
you can get them direct

miflexhoses.co.uk (http://www.miflexhoses.co.uk/)

My LDS stocks them, but at the moment only has yellow, fl. yellow and blue :(

27-07-09, 07:40 AM
anyone know any good suppliers - preferably in the south - of the miflex hoses ?Vobster hold the full range in stock, if that helps :) www.vobster.com (http://www.vobster.com)

fibrefab2
27-07-09, 05:25 PM
Just kitted myself out with a set of these:

Airmaster Plus Regulator Hose - Abyss Scuba Diving (http://www.abyss.com.au/Productcart/pc/Regulator-Hose-Airmaster-Plus-12p4430.htm)

They come in cheaper than Milflex and make the same claims. Not sure if you can pick them up in the UK.

trimixer
27-07-09, 06:39 PM
Can't see that the marginal price differential would cover the freight from Oz by the time you factor in exchange costs and p&p.

27-07-09, 07:11 PM
Just kitted myself out with a set of these:

Airmaster Plus Regulator Hose - Abyss Scuba Diving (http://www.abyss.com.au/Productcart/pc/Regulator-Hose-Airmaster-Plus-12p4430.htm)

They come in cheaper than Milflex and make the same claims. Not sure if you can pick them up in the UK.They'll just be a poor imitation, much as Foster's is a poor imitation of beer.

infernalzen
17-01-10, 01:26 PM
on my stage kit i went for an apeks hp hose from divelife :)
hose marked as 1200 bar, 17400psi, but oddly, the most flexible (non-miflex) hp hose ive seen.
i think it looks so well manufacturered too

Sas
18-01-10, 12:26 AM
With those with the HP Miflex hoses, has anyone had any trouble with them failing, or know anybody? I had one for about three months, did about 50-60 dives with it and it blew up on a dive... They replaced it free no questions asked but I've found a few reports online of HP hoses failing and having bad crimping. Like, I'm happy I got a free replacement but if they are dodge, I'd rather just go back to my regular hoses (though they are a bit long, hence why I got the miflex HP when I wanted a smaller length hose).

David Wallace
18-01-10, 02:31 AM
With those with the HP Miflex hoses, has anyone had any trouble with them failing, or know anybody? I had one for about three months, did about 50-60 dives with it and it blew up on a dive... They replaced it free no questions asked but I've found a few reports online of HP hoses failing and having bad crimping. Like, I'm happy I got a free replacement but if they are dodge, I'd rather just go back to my regular hoses (though they are a bit long, hence why I got the miflex HP when I wanted a smaller length hose).

matt 232
18-01-10, 04:17 AM
I thought the burst pressure was something like 2500 bar got to be honest I've never seen a bad report on miflex.

Orange Peel
18-01-10, 04:23 AM
either had i... it was attached to my first stage as well...

Sas
18-01-10, 05:05 AM
either had i... it was attached to my first stage as well...

Ohhhh there's the problem :teeth:

I thought the burst pressure was something like 2500 bar got to be honest I've never seen a bad report on miflex.

Yea I saw something on The Deco Stop about it as well with a few reports of failures of the 6" one at the bit that connects to the first stage, though mine was 24" and it failed in three spots, had been pressurised for about 5-10mins:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2681/4261782164_261814d5ee.jpg

Maybe just a bad batch.

infernalzen
19-01-10, 05:39 AM

i'd seen the miflex reg hose crimps look alot thinner than all other brands,
so stayed away from their hp hose.
as always, apeks hp hose is the dogs danglies :D