View Full Version : HID problem!

mrmints
20-11-09, 11:13 AM
Just turn on my new H Explorer 9 and pop it in some water to do a bit of a burn test. Take it out to find condensation on the inside of the tube. Normal???????

The Duck
20-11-09, 11:15 AM
Reasonably common occurance, nothing really to worry about IIRC.

Graham Smith
20-11-09, 11:39 AM
Yep, can be a common feature.

You can try warming the tube for a while and then putting it on if you regularly have a lot of moisture, otherwise not to worry.

20-11-09, 11:54 AM
Nooooooooooooo, it means it's screwed. Usually they explode dangerously on the next salt water submersion.

You should get rid of it immediately. I'll take it off your hands if you want - 10.

Juz

gixerdiver
20-11-09, 12:11 PM
Nooooooooooooo, it means it's screwed. Usually they explode dangerously on the next salt water submersion.

You should get rid of it immediately. I'll take it off your hands if you want - 10.

Juz

yes i agree there is problem with it and its only time b4 it pops !!

so try and get it sorted asap or will cost

i bid 11 ?:angel:

20-11-09, 12:40 PM
i bid 11 ?:angel:

Damn you and your excessive wealth!! Are you a Lord of the Realm or something, with your Shiney new Pound coins sloshing around in your pocket!

Juz

robf
20-11-09, 01:08 PM
Just turn on my new H Explorer 9 and pop it in some water to do a bit of a burn test. Take it out to find condensation on the inside of the tube. Normal???????

Yep - I seem to remember this occurs on mine too.....

eey_ore_9
23-11-09, 03:27 PM
Have a look at PEM and his posts he had a similar problem and sent it off back to H. In the end i think he took off the test tube himself cleaned it dried it and then inserted the lit bulb partly into the test tube until the glass was hot (wrapped in towel tomnot burn ya fingers) and then slid the test tube back onto the bulb assembly then when your sure its in place firmly place it in the wifes bath or a bucket of water so you can test it whilst making sure it doesn't overheat. Dont quote me on this but if you check his threads on YD and dir x you might find out more! try the H route first though as i beleive it had summit to do with the o rings being too soft.

23-11-09, 04:07 PM
Have a look at PEM and his posts he had a similar problem and sent it off back to H. In the end i think he took off the test tube himself cleaned it dried it and then inserted the lit bulb partly into the test tube until the glass was hot (wrapped in towel tomnot burn ya fingers) and then slid the test tube back onto the bulb assembly then when your sure its in place firmly place it in the wifes bath or a bucket of water so you can test it whilst making sure it doesn't overheat. Dont quote me on this but if you check his threads on YD and dir x you might find out more! try the H route first though as i beleive it had summit to do with the o rings being too soft.You CAN go to all that trouble (and run the risk of busting the bulb) or you could just live with it.

As it doesn't seen to affect the performance of the torch, and a new bulb costs upwards of a ton, I do the latter :D

mrmints
23-11-09, 04:07 PM
You CAN go to all that trouble (and run the risk of busting the bulb) or you could just live with it.

As it doesn't seen to affect the performance of the torch, and a new bulb costs upwards of a ton, I do the latter :D

Yeah, think I'm gunna do just that.

robf
23-11-09, 04:15 PM
Yeah, think I'm gunna do just that.

Very wise. I've so far had nearly 5 years out of my 18w Helios (although it'll probably die now I've said that) and its one of the few things I know how to take apart that I have managed not to touch. The thought of spending over 100 if I mess up is the over-riding factor :)

eey_ore_9
23-11-09, 06:15 PM
If its new get on to the guys where you bought it from im sure they will be more than happy to help. I have done this clean op myself after pem told me about his but mines a Salvo and older than 12 months, I was a bit skittish about doing it, but it is really easy (as long as your not on a dive boat) he he. I wouldnt hesitate to do mine again if it got dirty inside the test tube. If it was new as yours is i would'nt touch it though, as it is a better idea to send it back for them to have a look at it! I would only worry if it went past the second o ring as water on the actual bulb would or could be costly even a pita. If it were me i'd take it back to let them have a look see.

Pem
24-11-09, 09:43 AM
Just to add to Robs posts,my test tube had partly flooded due to soft o rings that Halcyon knew about,i replaced them with harder ones sent out by the distributor and used the heat the tube method to reinstall the test tube.No more leaks,i do get a bit of condensation though,which is completley normal.If you have water in the recess between the two o rings you have a problem,if its just a misting at the top of the tube then its fine.

HTH

mrmints
24-11-09, 10:19 AM
If its new get on to the guys where you bought it from im sure they will be more than happy to help. I have done this clean op myself after pem told me about his but mines a Salvo and older than 12 months, I was a bit skittish about doing it, but it is really easy (as long as your not on a dive boat) he he. I wouldnt hesitate to do mine again if it got dirty inside the test tube. If it was new as yours is i would'nt touch it though, as it is a better idea to send it back for them to have a look at it! I would only worry if it went past the second o ring as water on the actual bulb would or could be costly even a pita. If it were me i'd take it back to let them have a look see.

I got it from Deepstop, so sending it back is also quite an expensive option. It wasnt a particularly significant amount of condensation. Just enough for me to notice when I was tucking it in for the night....I'm tempted to leave it for now, but thanks for all the advice!

Woz
24-11-09, 10:22 AM
Throw it in the bottom of a cupboard and buy 2 of those chinese 900 lumen LED things. They're ace. You could get 10 of them and still have change from an HID umbilical. And they're just as bright, give or take a tiny unnoticable bit.

24-11-09, 10:23 AM
I got it from Deepstop, so sending it back is also quite an expensive option. It wasnt a particularly significant amount of condensation. Just enough for me to notice when I was tucking it in for the night....I'm tempted to leave it for now, but thanks for all the advice!You won't need to send it back there. Why not drop it into Silent Planet for Dave to have a gander at next time you're down in Portland?
Or take it to the Vobster gig and have one of the 'experts' have a peek.

mrmints
24-11-09, 10:56 AM
You won't need to send it back there. Why not drop it into Silent Planet for Dave to have a gander at next time you're down in Portland?
Or take it to the Vobster gig and have one of the 'experts' have a peek.

Yeah, I'm gunna try and turn up to that on the Saturday. anyone else going?