Lan-za-ro-te!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lan-za-ro-te!

Mark W
    Thanks

Lan-za-ro-te!

Seeing as I've just got back this morning (2am) I'll write a summary which will probably be edited and made better later when I'm more awake, along with some photos. (EDIT - Pics Added later after the admonishment for diving an SCR)

I did 10 dives whilst out there, of which 6 were done on a Draeger Dolphin (did my Draeger course whilst out there so am now a SCR RB Diver!) and the others were on either 32% or 34% nitrox. Best thing was that the Nitrox was Free!

The dive centre I dived with was Marina Rubicon dive centre, who are based on the new Marina in Playa Blanca. They have a perfect situation in that the whole place was designed and built less than two years ago from the ground up as a dive centre, and from a divers perspective. Changing rooms, showers, lockers, huge kit storage, filling station, nitrox, o2 (if needed), wash area, special sink for computers / cameras / disinfecting your rebreather, dive shop, kit rental etc.. etc.. and their own rib moored right next to the dive centre.

Why did I dive with them and not Calipso or others? Well, to be honest, and call me snobbish if you like, I don't like Costa Teguise (Lovely view of the chemical plant in the background - reminded me of Redcar,) or Puerto Del Carmen (Blackpool with added aeroplanes) - the two resorts are almost like an extension of Arrecife - in one large block by the airport. I'm not into night life as I've two kids so we want somewhere a bit quieter.

Playa Blanca's quieter, but has really good restaurants, decent hotels and the kids love it. We've been there before and loved the place, So we went back there. Personal Preference and all that!

I know the diving's not necessarily the best, However, Playa Blanca's quite a way from the other resorts (40km) so I had to find a local dive centre. Also, nearly all the other dive centres only offer shore diving (barring "the wrecks") so I wanted something a bit different.

Anyway, enough about that. What about the diving?

There was 5 main dives I did (so did most dives twice).

We dived the same patch of reef a couple of times in various places, mainly by request because you were almost guaranteed to see certain species!

About 10 mins out of the harbour you find the dive called the pipes. These are the two communications pipes which connect lanzarote to fuerteventura. Viz was usually about 30 to 40m

After dropping the anchor, you would drop down onto a rocky lava outcrop which was bordered by a large area of sand. The top of the rocks were about 15m dropping down to 20m. Because this is volcanic lava it's full of holes and small caves, almost like a coral head. Perfect hiding place for Moray eels and octopus. The sandy area was perfect camoflage (and burying area) for angel sharks, stingrays, electric rays and (sorry) Cuttlefish.

All in all I saw more fish life on these dives than last time when just shore diving.

There were two other main dives we did.

First was the Lighthouse dive (average 30m dropping down to 54m) where we saw loads of large groupers, black coral, barracuda. Usually you see hammerheads here but we weren't lucky enough this time. (Stuff removed here...)

Second was Los Lobos volcano. This is the island which is half-way between lanzarote and fuerteventura. The average depth was 25m and the formation of the rocks was amazing. The rock had created massive rock 'mushrooms' forming large plateau type overhang structures which were full of life. Again saw Angel Sharks, stingrays, barracuda, fireworms, loads of black and yellow nudibranch amongst others.

I'll write more detail later, and the photos are all still on the cards (took 150 underwater snaps!!), so as soon as I pulled them off I'll post a few choice ones with a better report here!

Mark.
    Last edited by Bantam; 01-07-05 at 08:16 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements

Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy Conor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Welcome back, glad you had a good trip....but why did you apologise to the currlefish?
    “Did I leave the gas on? No! No, I'm a f***in' squirrel!”

Mr E Izzard

Mark W
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor
    Welcome back, glad you had a good trip....but why did you apologise to the currlefish?
    Thankyou

The sorry for the cuttlefish - I was apologising to Lou for seeing one (well, five actually, plus four octopus on the same dive)

Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy Conor's Avatar
    Thanks
    You lucky, lucky........ah well now you're back you can go hunting for the pike at guildy. You know its more exciting really
    “Did I leave the gas on? No! No, I'm a f***in' squirrel!”

Mr E Izzard

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantam
    <SNIP>

First was the Lighthouse dive (average 30m dropping down to 54m) where we saw loads of large groupers, black coral, barracuda. Usually you see hammerheads here but we weren't lucky enough this time. (This dive I did on the Dolphin to 54m with a total dive time of 66mins and 29mins deco on a 5L tank and still came out with 100bar!!)

<SNIP>

Mark.
    You did 54M on a dolphin.... Just after qualification.... Is it me or is this not reccomended practice on these things?

Danny

Mark W
    Thanks
    Last edited by Bantam; 04-07-05 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Not rising to the bait.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Nice report Mark....look forward to seeing the pic's!

Cheers

Kathy

Just not enough dive time. MATTBIN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantam
    Note to self - never write another trip report again because it will get picked to pieces.
    Understandably reaction, however it would be a shame to not share your experiences with the wider YD audience as I liked Lanz but my wife didnt. The location you mentioned sounds like it might suit both of us, from that point of view it would be a shame if you or anyone didnt post because of one slightly negative comment.

As to was it 'dangerous', as you say we have done that one to death so I think it a shame its been questioned again.

Matt

Mark W
    Thanks
    Just a couple of pictures (the beginning of the rest are in my gallery at http://yd.underwaterlife.co.uk/gallery/Lanzarote05 ). Let me know what you think!....

Anenome;

Baby Stingray;

Very Friendly Octopus;

A Beautiful Angel Shark;

And for you Nudibranch Lovers;

Mark W
    Thanks
    A couple more pics;

Spot the Angel Shark!

A risky (for my fingers) closeup of a moray;

Can anyone tell me what this fish is?

Loads of Life all over the reef;