Diving with diabetes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Diving with diabetes

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ellon, Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    Diving with diabetes

    Does anyone have any up to date information on Type 1 diabetics and diving?

    It's not for me, I'm not a diabetic, but a friend of mine is, and he has expressed an interest in diving, but he's anxious about the diabetes thing, and I think he's been told that he can't dive.

    I also heard that the views on diabetic divers have changed, and that as long as they have their diabetes under control, they are allowed to dive.

    Last year on holiday in Hurghada, I introduced him to snorkelling, which he seemed to enjoy.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Should Be Working... rickgillyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Whitley Bay
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    I have Type 2, others here have Type 1 I believe. Not a problem so long as it's controlled, you don't want a hypo at 40m...

    First thing the person should do is ask their doctor, as before doing any training he will need them to sign a medical form anyway.

  4. #3
    Creature of the night Steve Summers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Derbyshire as far away from the sea as you can get
    Posts
    14,184
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 634 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arobson View Post
    Does anyone have any up to date information on Type 1 diabetics and diving?

    It's not for me, I'm not a diabetic, but a friend of mine is, and he has expressed an interest in diving, but he's anxious about the diabetes thing, and I think he's been told that he can't dive.

    I also heard that the views on diabetic divers have changed, and that as long as they have their diabetes under control, they are allowed to dive.

    Last year on holiday in Hurghada, I introduced him to snorkelling, which he seemed to enjoy.
    Here you go UKSDMC medical standards- diabetes mellitus

    Wish him well from me.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Summers For This Useful Post:

    arobson (04-03-10)

  6. Remove Advertisements
    Yorkshire-Divers.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ellon, Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Thanks for the info Steve.

  8. #5
    New Member shezza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stevenage
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    My dad dives with diabetes with no problem.. he just monitors his sugar levels closely before and after dives, and eats accordingly!!

  9. #6
    Should Be Working... rickgillyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Whitley Bay
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Summers View Post
    I'd not seen those, thanks. I think those forms etc. apply to BSAC, it's a bit simpler with PADI, just a standard medical form which can be filled by your GP.

  10. #7
    Creature of the night Steve Summers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Derbyshire as far away from the sea as you can get
    Posts
    14,184
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 634 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
    I'd not seen those, thanks. I think those forms etc. apply to BSAC, it's a bit simpler with PADI, just a standard medical form which can be filled by your GP.
    Hi Rick,

    they apply to the SAA SSAC etc. I don't know if the PADI one has changed in the last 10 years but it advised the examining doctor that insulin dependant diabetes was a contra-indication when I looked into it.

  11. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ellon, Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Summers View Post
    Hi Rick,

    they apply to the SAA SSAC etc. I don't know if the PADI one has changed in the last 10 years but it advised the examining doctor that insulin dependant diabetes was a contra-indication when I looked into it.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what does 'contra-indicaton' mean?

  12. #9
    Creature of the night Steve Summers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Derbyshire as far away from the sea as you can get
    Posts
    14,184
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 634 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arobson View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what does 'contra-indicaton' mean?
    Hi, it's the wording used as a reason to not allow the person to dive.

  13. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,940
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 296 Times in 188 Posts
    Unless something has changed PADI did not allow anyone to dive with Type 1 under any circumstances. It may have changed in the recent past as I haven't been keeping tabs on it.
    SSAC allow it but are pretty conservative, BSAC are usually fine and some of the other agencies can be fairly relaxed. The main deciding factor will be your actual overall health and control.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •