YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Diving with diabetes

16K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  rimil 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any up to date information on Type 1 diabetics and diving?

It's not for me, I'm not a diabetic, but a friend of mine is, and he has expressed an interest in diving, but he's anxious about the diabetes thing, and I think he's been told that he can't dive.

I also heard that the views on diabetic divers have changed, and that as long as they have their diabetes under control, they are allowed to dive.

Last year on holiday in Hurghada, I introduced him to snorkelling, which he seemed to enjoy.

#3 ·
Reactions: arobson
#5 ·
My dad dives with diabetes with no problem.. he just monitors his sugar levels closely before and after dives, and eats accordingly!!

#10 ·
Unless something has changed PADI did not allow anyone to dive with Type 1 under any circumstances. It may have changed in the recent past as I haven't been keeping tabs on it.
SSAC allow it but are pretty conservative, BSAC are usually fine and some of the other agencies can be fairly relaxed. The main deciding factor will be your actual overall health and control.

#11 ·
PADI neither allow nor disallow anyone to take a PADI training course based upon any medical condition. If you can't satisfy the self-declaration, the decision is always based upon a medical opinion. PADI issue a guidance form which can be helpful to GPs, but in difficult cases, you are always best advised to seek the opinion of a doctor who is familiar with hyperbaric medicine.

If a doctor signs a medical indicating that you are fit to dive, PADI centres will allow you to train.

Cheers, Chris

#12 ·
I have type 1 and been diving for years never had any problems, if the diabetes is under control I can’t see any problems. Just take the insulin well before the dive and check your blood sugars just before the dive if you are in your normal range say around 6 – 8 have a banana, snack bar or something light pre dive, that way you will keep your levels up and wont go low. The guys I dive with on a regular basis know that I’m diabetic and where I keep all my snacks and energy drinks, as do all the people I work with. I would not recommend deco dives but diving in the 20-30 meter range should be ok, your mate will know how controlled the diabetes is, just be sensible about it.

I find the main problem is that people have no idea what diabetes is and just don’t understand it, they tend to look at you as some kind of leper

#16 · (Edited)
I specifically said "in the past" A number of years ago PADI did not allow diabetic divers in any circumstances. It was specifically n the medical reference forms as a complete ban with no room for doctors opinions to change.
It may be different now but at the time I was looking into it PADI didn't allow it at all, only the UK organisations did and only on a limited basis. All the UK clubs now have the same process, fill in the form and then get your GP to sign you off as fit, always assuming you are!

#18 ·
I am a Type I Diabetic and passed my AOW with PADI about 2 years ago. All I needed was for my GP to sign a medical consent form which he did after looking at my notes and taking my blood pressure(?).

My control is pretty good, i always take necessary snacks, drinks and medication with me and as said before I always make sure that whoever i am diving with knows what to look out for and what to do if it occurs. Biggest probelm so far has been keeping hungry buddies away form the supplies!!

HTH

Alfie

#19 ·
As has been said it doesn't seem to be a major barrier, the one diabetic diver I've dived with also had a platypus with a sugar solution to try and pump some sugar into him in case he went low under water. Based on that experience the main advice I'd give would be make sure the buddy is informed and generally prepared well before you get to the buddy check, it can be a bit of a big one in terms of potential emergency situations 5 minutes before the dive!

#20 ·
I am surprised that this thread didn't attract more attention. I am type 2 not type 1 but this has raised issues in Egypt. I have never gone hypo, my control is perfect, (metformin not insulin), yet Dr Adel advised me that diving in Egypt is prohibited for all diabetics. And this is regardless of what PADI or any other agency requirements are.

By the way, I find that I need less medication for control when I am diving. Anyone else?

#21 ·
I am surprised that this thread didn't attract more attention. I am type 2 not type 1 but this has raised issues in Egypt. I have never gone hypo, my control is perfect, (metformin not insulin), yet Dr Adel advised me that diving in Egypt is prohibited for all diabetics. And this is regardless of what PADI or any other agency requirements are.
I'm surprised to hear that. I'm also Type2, Metformin, good control no hypos. Not really something I tend to bring up with buddies normally as it has no impact on my diving. If that's the situation in Egypt really, I'd have to reconsider any visit. If I had the money to make the trip... :/

By the way, I find that I need less medication for control when I am diving. Anyone else?
Just because of the exercise, you think? I can't say I notice any difference.

#22 ·
I think you are probably right about the exercise, but it may be the way that water (albeit 24 deg C ) removes heat, energy, from your body. And also I drink much more water when I'm diving. As for it being an issue, it could be but in practice it is not. After telling me it was prohibited, Dr Adel then wished me well for the rest of my diving in the Red Sea. None of the centres that I have dived with there have said no because I was diabetic, and I have never hidden it, so I wonder what the legal position would be should it become an issue in case of an incident.

#25 ·
There's an easy answer to that, but you probably wouldn't stay married very long. Have you tried the DHSS, you know, see if they would look after them for a while, I mean you have paid the taxes. Pretend that you're an illegal immigrant or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.